Staggered tire/wheel advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Staggered tire/wheel advice

Just bought a 12 GT a week ago and so far have put a Diablo tune on it and have a JLT performance intake coming in the mail.

I'm looking to put a new set of tires and wheels on it, I want it staggered.

Ideally I want it to last a while yet still give me good traction. Any recommendations? I was thinking 255 up front and 285 in the rear, don't wanna go over 18" wheels.
Valenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I have 255 in front and 285 in back but they are 19s. I really like the staggered look. They are wrapped with Mickey Thompson Street Comps. I was not impressed with the traction when I first got the tires. I used them for the first time in the spring here in CT. However, They grip like crazy now that summer is here. I guess that is why they are called summer tires!
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #3

How's the life on those tires? I drive a ton and need a nice balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenti View Post

I have the same Mickey thompsons and they last really well I've had mine on for about 15k miles and I hit the track regularly with them. I wanna say I have 60% left. How ever I will be getting set of slicks because these don't do so great at the track in the traction department.

2011 Kona Blue Gt

IG - The_Chech

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I only have about 4k miles on them. The car is not my daily driver however when I do drive it, I usually put some distance on them. I just got back from the AM show in PA. The ride was very comfortable. My car is lowered so the ride is not as cushy as stock but it is certainly not harsh at all. I don't take the car to the drag strip so I can't speak for how they handle off the line but I do take corners aggressively and I can tell you from experience that they have never slid out from under me.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Old 08-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Just bought a 12 GT a week ago and so far have put a Diablo tune on it and have a JLT performance intake coming in the mail.

I'm looking to put a new set of tires and wheels on it, I want it staggered.

Ideally I want it to last a while yet still give me good traction. Any recommendations? I was thinking 255 up front and 285 in the rear, don't wanna go over 18" wheels.
I am debating the staggered look as well. After coming back from the AM show and seeing all those bad *** Stang's, the staggered set looks bad ***.

I'm thinking of going 275 18's on the rear and 255 18's up front. The Sumioto's wheel set from AM. Not sure how long the tires will last millage wise and I don't track race.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Obviously I like the staggered look however I have no idea about tire life given that I can't rotate the tires. Time will tell.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:25 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Just asking a question, but why are you only going to put 18's on the Mustang? Unless you are going to road race the car that is a small wheel.

I had 19's on my 14 TrakPak and then went with the GT500 wheels, 19x9.5 with 265x40's in front and 20x9.5 in the rear with 285x35's. I have the stock Goodyear F1's and in the rain and cold they are terrible..........I don't drive mine every day though. It the summer with temperatures above 70 they are fantastic although for drag racing they are not much better than the stock Pirelli's. If you are wanting to go drag racing get slicks/drag radials. My next tires will be Michelin's and I'll go 275x40x19's in front and 295x35x20's in the rear.
One thing with staggered wheels/tires you need to keep on top of the front end alignment and tire pressure. I've got mine setup as a compromise between street and track and even with 6000 miles on the tires they show no wear.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
Obviously I like the staggered look however I have no idea about tire life given that I can't rotate the tires. Time will tell.
I hear ya on that sir. That's where I'm torn. I really want to be able to rotate the tires so I can maximize their tread life. On the other hand, Larger tires on the rear and smaller up front look sooooo much better. 275's on the rear look very mean. 👍

Old 08-19-2015, 12:21 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Just asking a question, but why are you only going to put 18's on the Mustang? Unless you are going to road race the car that is a small wheel.

I had 19's on my 14 TrakPak and then went with the GT500 wheels, 19x9.5 with 265x40's in front and 20x9.5 in the rear with 285x35's. I have the stock Goodyear F1's and in the rain and cold they are terrible..........I don't drive mine every day though. It the summer with temperatures above 70 they are fantastic although for drag racing they are not much better than the stock Pirelli's. If you are wanting to go drag racing get slicks/drag radials. My next tires will be Michelin's and I'll go 275x40x19's in front and 295x35x20's in the rear.
One thing with staggered wheels/tires you need to keep on top of the front end alignment and tire pressure. I've got mine setup as a compromise between street and track and even with 6000 miles on the tires they show no wear.
Sir, The reason I would like to stay with 18's is to keep the cost of tires down. Its my understanding that 19's really jump up in price over the 18's although please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still learning about tires.

Respectfully, can you please explain the performance benefits or any benefits that the 19's provide over the 18's. What benefit would it be If I purchased 275 19's over 275 18's.

Side note, I don't track race, I don't auto cross race and I typically run my pony on the public roadways. At times I have been known to roll race on PRIVATE Roads and private property but that's it.

Any guidance and information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

18's look bad *** on the 10-14 body style with the right wheel/tire setup and lowered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
18's look bad *** on the 10-14 body style with the right wheel/tire setup and lowered.

Now that's the stuff I'm talking about sir.👍 Rap, I got such a boner for the AMR all black wheel set. I know tons of Stang's have the AMR's but its such a darn good looking wheel, at least I think so. Rap, would the 275 18's on rear and 255 18's on front look bad a$$ with the Sumitomo's HTR Z III.

I can get the wheel set and tires from AM with the 6% discount for around $1165 dollars. Or do I just roll 255's 18's on all four? Rap????? 👍

Also , what is this Nitrogen fill stuff? Do I want that?

Old 08-19-2015, 12:38 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I would go with the 255/275 option if I was you. Will look :thumbup: on your car.
I have never messed with the nitrogen fills.
Why fix something that isn't broke lol.

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:51 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Staggered tire/wheel advice

Quote:

Ideally I want it to last a while yet still give me good traction.

Don't we all.
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:08 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I stuck with 18s with 255 up front and 285 out back on nitto nt555. Didn't go to 19s cause 18s weigh less

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:42 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I would go with the 255/275 option if I was you. Will look :thumbup: on your car.
I have never messed with the nitrogen fills.
Why fix something that isn't broke lol.

Thanks sir. Plain old air in the tires works just fine. Lol. 👍

Old 08-19-2015, 06:16 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Nitrogen is really only beneficial for people who don't want to have to worry about air pressure changes due to the weather. Your in MD, it gets cold randomly when it was warm the day before. So I mean it's not a total waste in that respect. My wife's VW comes this way from the factory and it sure is nice for me because I don't have to hear her tell me her TPMS light came on and go check her tires.

Now me personally, I wouldn't want it. I check my tires weekly, and using air well it makes it easy to fill them since I have a compressor. And let's face it, it's cheaper and I am cheap when it comes to that kind of crap.

I agree with others that have said 18's will be fine for you. Honestly 19's and up would be more for looks. The only performance gain is if you were looking to run big brakes you MIGHT need 19's. But I know that some 18's will fit even a brembo car with the right offset.

I'm just happy to see you get rid of those stocks Kona. I think for your car not only the better designed wheel is going to make your ride look better but that offset and wider tire will make her look as though she is not to be messed with 👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:29 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Nitrogen is really only beneficial for people who don't want to have to worry about air pressure changes due to the weather. Your in MD, it gets cold randomly when it was warm the day before. So I mean it's not a total waste in that respect. My wife's VW comes this way from the factory and it sure is nice for me because I don't have to hear her tell me her TPMS light came on and go check her tires.

Now me personally, I wouldn't want it. I check my tires weekly, and using air well it makes it easy to fill them since I have a compressor. And let's face it, it's cheaper and I am cheap when it comes to that kind of crap.

I agree with others that have said 18's will be fine for you. Honestly 19's and up would be more for looks. The only performance gain is if you were looking to run big brakes you MIGHT need 19's. But I know that some 18's will fit even a brembo car with the right offset.

I'm just happy to see you get rid of those stocks Kona. I think for your car not only the better designed wheel is going to make your ride look better but that offset and wider tire will make her look as though she is not to be messed with 👍🏻
Great info sir. Since I have an air compressor as we'll its quite easy to check the tires air pressure and if low, just fill up. 👍

The factory wheels and the 215's is really holding my pony back from moving into a new level of looking aggressive. Lol. Wide tires and nice wheels make all the difference. 😉

Old 08-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Staggered 255 front 285 rear looks great. It was I got.

I've seen people that run 275 front & back. Good all around performance and rotatable.

Something to consider.... all the new high performance cars being released are running approx. 300+- wide on front & rear.

Z28 = 305 wide all 4 corners,
GT350 295 front/305 rear

IE: 255 wide all 4 corners isn't really sufficient.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
285 all around on the Steeda. Going to keep it that way. Have to watch with some canned staggered setups. Example is the bama 255/275 combo for the 05-up cars. The 255 up front is half an inch taller than the 275 out back.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

I guess being on the West Coast has it's disadvantages........

First, no need to call me Sir.........haven't been called that since I was in the Military some 30+ years ago.

Look at the video...the reason I asked if you were going to be tracking the car.

If you throw wear, rain/snow/dry weather out the door...the look 19's will give the car is just outstanding although if the car is not lowered it really doesn't help much since it looks like a 4x4 with stock suspension. My personal taste is to fill up as much of the fenderwell as possible without rubbing.
As for performance the only benefit I can really see is that you'll get more responsiveness in steering as the sidewall is much stiffer/shorter than on an 18 which translates to more road feel for normal driving.
As for cost difference it really depends on what tire size you are choosing. If you went from stock 235/50/18's to 255/40/19's the cost will be around $20/40 more a tire. Going from 235/50/18 to 275/40/19 will be about the same difference. Again, depending on tire size and make will make a big difference on the wear or the tire. Also remember that if you have a staggered tire wheel package as long as the alignment is good you will have no wear problems.
Will not being able to rotate the tires have an effect on wear...sure...how much really depends on you.
The nitrogen thing although lighter than air....nitrogen does not attract H2O, where normal air has H2O present...I have lost two TPS sensors because of water contamination, more stable at high and low ambient conditions...if you've got a good filter on your air supply then use it.
I have friends that keep small cylinders of nitrogen for filling up their tires...yes they a little anal....so am I when it comes to my cars.
So, if you want a 40/50,000 mile tire go with 18's.....if not...let your pocket book be your guide.
Nice looking fastback in the picture...is it a real GT?...........how about some pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=BtN6AmQMZ4g
Old 08-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

TPMS sensors what are those??

Another thing to consider when tracking a car is what brakes one will be running. Some of the big brake upgrades require minimum rim size. I know there are some kits out there that will only barely clear specific 18" rims and ppl need to go to 19s usually.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I guess being on the West Coast has it's disadvantages........

First, no need to call me Sir.........haven't been called that since I was in the Military some 30+ years ago.

Look at the video...the reason I asked if you were going to be tracking the car.

If you throw wear, rain/snow/dry weather out the door...the look 19's will give the car is just outstanding although if the car is not lowered it really doesn't help much since it looks like a 4x4 with stock suspension. My personal taste is to fill up as much of the fenderwell as possible without rubbing.
As for performance the only benefit I can really see is that you'll get more responsiveness in steering as the sidewall is much stiffer/shorter than on an 18 which translates to more road feel for normal driving.
As for cost difference it really depends on what tire size you are choosing. If you went from stock 235/50/18's to 255/40/19's the cost will be around $20/40 more a tire. Going from 235/50/18 to 275/40/19 will be about the same difference. Again, depending on tire size and make will make a big difference on the wear or the tire. Also remember that if you have a staggered tire wheel package as long as the alignment is good you will have no wear problems.
Will not being able to rotate the tires have an effect on wear...sure...how much really depends on you.
The nitrogen thing although lighter than air....nitrogen does not attract H2O, where normal air has H2O present...I have lost two TPS sensors because of water contamination, more stable at high and low ambient conditions...if you've got a good filter on your air supply then use it.
I have friends that keep small cylinders of nitrogen for filling up their tires...yes they a little anal....so am I when it comes to my cars.
So, if you want a 40/50,000 mile tire go with 18's.....if not...let your pocket book be your guide.
Nice looking fastback in the picture...is it a real GT?...........how about some pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=BtN6AmQMZ4g
Thanks for your feedback sir. Perhaps going 275's all four are the way to go. Funny how AM has on their site, The 275's are for the rear's only. As many on here stated, I could run 275's all 4 and they would fit for my 2011.

No Gt, just a 3.7. 👍

Old 08-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #24

Thanks for all the info guys. Can anybody post an exact setup? I'm clueless when it comes to choosing wheels that will fit tires.

I definitely want to go as large as possible in the rears and as long as it won't affect my turning radius too badly as large as possible up front.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Thanks for your feedback sir. Perhaps going 275's all four are the way to go. Funny how AM has on their site, The 275's are for the rear's only. As many on here stated, I could run 275's all 4 and they would fit for my 2011.

No Gt, just a 3.7. 👍

One thing to keep in mind is the offset of the wheels. Mine is lowered 1.5" in front and 2" in the rear. With my OE GT500 wheels to get 275's to fit I have 44mm offset and in the rear they are 50mm. This offet pushes the wheel to the outside of the car which gives you more room.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys. Can anybody post an exact setup? I'm clueless when it comes to choosing wheels that will fit tires.

I definitely want to go as large as possible in the rears and as long as it won't affect my turning radius too badly as large as possible up front.
With 18" wheels you can certainly go wider than I could with 19 wheels.
The offset of the wheel is going to determine how wide of a wheel/tire combo you put under your car......I would guess that you could go 11" wide wheels.
The best thing to do is talk with whomever you are going to by the wheels/tires from and they should be able to give you the information you are looking for.
It just depends on how much you want to spend....
Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #27

No more than a couple grand ideally. Should be able to get a nice set ordered at discount tire with a military discount. Just not 100% sure exactly what I want or what is available in those sizes.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

I never asked if Discount Tire did military... hmm... Although my local tire shop will price match anyone and usually can get tires INSTALLED for the same price as the online guys. Case in point I can get 285/35/18 (for a 2000) Toyo Proxes or Nitto 555s mounted/balanced/installed for $220 per tire.

This is something to look into depending on where you live. A LOT of tire shops will do deals like what I just described and they can usually get anything you need if it comes down to it.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #29

Well the staggered sets on AM are a steal and I can put them on myself. The only thing is they only go up to 275 or 285.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Those sizes are MORE than wide enough for a street car. Like I said, just make sure you research the tire sizes and make sure they aren't wonky like that setup I mentioned earlier. They have (or had) a set of 05+ wheels with a 255 up front and a 275 out back where the front 255 was a half inch taller than the rear 275.

And remember, the sidewall number is not static, it is a percentage of the overall tread width. So a 255/45/18 (example) is going to have a sidewall that is 45% as tall as 255mm.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Well the staggered sets on AM are a steal and I can put them on myself. The only thing is they only go up to 275 or 285.
If you are unsure of the size you want, go here and put in the sizes which you want to compare........this will give you a good idea of what will and will not work. As I said before...offset is the key to having the tire/wheel not stick out beyond the body..........

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do
Old 08-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
They have (or had) a set of 05+ wheels with a 255 up front and a 275 out back where the front 255 was a half inch taller than the rear 275.
That's why so many people go with the 255/40R19 & 285/35R19 set up b/c the tires are very close in size.

As for wheel size. I'd say you want something 8.5-9" wide in the front & 10"-10.5" in the rear. Obviously check the offsets are correct.

I bought TSW Nuhremburgs b/c they are some of the lightest wheels out there for a "reasonable" price. The only thing I don't like about them is the rears are only 9.5", which is sufficient for 285 wide, but that's about it. So I can't really go up to a 305 wide if I ever decided to add a supercharger and needed more rear grip.

IF I was doing it over I'd have ponied up a little more & gone with this kit:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/gunmet...itto-stag.html
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
That's why so many people go with the 255/40R19 & 285/35R19 set up b/c the tires are very close in size.

As for wheel size. I'd say you want something 8.5-9" wide in the front & 10"-10.5" in the rear. Obviously check the offsets are correct.

I bought TSW Nuhremburgs b/c they are some of the lightest wheels out there for a "reasonable" price. The only thing I don't like about them is the rears are only 9.5", which is sufficient for 285 wide, but that's about it. So I can't really go up to a 305 wide if I ever decided to add a supercharger and needed more rear grip.

IF I was doing it over I'd have ponied up a little more & gone with this kit:
Forgestar Staggered Forgestar F14 Monoblock Gunmetal Mustang Wheel & NITTO INVO Tire Kit - 19x9/11 (05-14 All) KIT||29612||29867||79521 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping
Although my F1s are sticky in hot weather...with my N/A Mustang 1st and 2nd leave a lot black marks even with 285x35x20's....If you go SC'd..........you are going to need a lot more than 305's....I think they call the tires you will be needing "slicks".....
Old 08-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

One thing I will say about AM wheels (and any "replica" wheels) from personal experience is that the clear coat is not spectacular nor is the quality compared to something like a Forgestar or an OEM wheel. I mean the clear looks good and the paint looks good but from a durability standpoint... no. Also every replica wheel I've ever had has taken a LOT of weights to balance properly.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #35

Thanks guys. I've been looking around and I'd be happy at 255/285 stagger. Won't be able to drop close to 3k at the moment, I guess I'll talk to an AM rep over the phone and make sure the rears aren't actually shorter than the fronts on those sets, that's the opposite of what I'm looking for.

Appreciate all the help!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT