The Track Pack Mustang Ford Should Have Built - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #1

Region: Texas
The Track Pack Mustang Ford Should Have Built

In doing my research for mods for my 2014 TP GT, I have come across variations of the phrase "this should have come on the car from the factory" used regarding several parts. That got me to thinking of an interesting direction for modding: build my car into the Track Pack Mustang GT Ford 'should have' built.

Being a production car, there would be emissions, safety, noise, etc. standards, so it could not be too radical. Also, Ford would not want it to compete directly with the Boss 302 or GT500. (so no S/C or Boss IM).

All this in mind, I came up with the following parts (so far):

1. Lighter wheels and tires (Done with 18x10 Forgestars)
2. GT500 axle-backs
3. Barton (FRPP) shifter and 2-post bracket with Whiteline bushing
4. Steeda billet LCA's and adjustable UCA
5. Steeda rear brake upgrade kit
6. FRPP Pro-cal tune and K&N drop-in filter
7. FRPP adjustable handling pack and P springs (or Steeda handling kit)
8. Aluminum 1-piece driveshaft and loop

I think the above would make the TP GT a pretty solid performer and address many of the factory car's shortcomings while keeping it marketable to a wide audience. (They would still have the base and Premium GT also.)

Any other ideas/suggestions?

I don't want to get into the whole "Ford would not do X because it would be too expensive, etc." argument. This is just a fun exercise. Anything anyone would like to add would be great.
Amuzed3437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Vented, and lighter front fenders maybe? Less weight is always good, and the vent would allow heat to dissipate from the brakes.

A better clutch would help too.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Possibly lighter wheels. Otherwise, I think it's a reasonable package. I think the Boss should have more.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Isn't the TrakPak and Boss almost identical with the exception of the engine, the main difference being the cam/heads/intake/exhaust.
If you are going 18's then go with 11" wide instead of 10's.
olerodder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Isn't the TrakPak and Boss almost identical with the exception of the engine, the main difference being the cam/heads/intake/exhaust.
If you are going 18's then go with 11" wide instead of 10's.
Boss has better suspension too.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Boss has better suspension too.
What differences are there?
Old 08-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The factory differences are that the Boss is lowered, and different shocks and struts. I think a few more differences is the suspension exist, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

The TrakPak has different shocks and struts than the stock GT, along with different springs and bushings. Maybe the Boss is 1/2" lower, but still looks up in the air to me.
TrakPak shares the Boss 302 radiator and radiator support, oil cooler, rearend, transmission, clutch, brakes..although the pads are different.
I have never really been close up to a Boss and not really sure if they are adjustable or not......
Old 08-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My only complaint about my 2014 Track Pack is there are no drag radial choices for the 19X9 wheels. Wish it would have came with 18X9.5 like the early GT-500's
Nater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

275x60x15 are the size you want to run anyway....don't ruin your TrakPak wheels.
Although if your Mustang isn't lowered you could probably get a bigger size under it.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:38 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
This is why you save money and buy a base model and do it right yourself. Put a Watt's link out back to upgrade from even an adjustable PHB and the Race Spec MGW is going to be a much better shifter.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuzed3437 View Post
In doing my research for mods for my 2014 TP GT, I have come across variations of the phrase "this should have come on the car from the factory" used regarding several parts. That got me to thinking of an interesting direction for modding: build my car into the Track Pack Mustang GT Ford 'should have' built.

Being a production car, there would be emissions, safety, noise, etc. standards, so it could not be too radical. Also, Ford would not want it to compete directly with the Boss 302 or GT500. (so no S/C or Boss IM).

All this in mind, I came up with the following parts (so far):

1. Lighter wheels and tires (Done with 18x10 Forgestars)
2. GT500 axle-backs
3. Barton (FRPP) shifter and 2-post bracket with Whiteline bushing
4. Steeda billet LCA's and adjustable UCA
5. Steeda rear brake upgrade kit
7. FRPP adjustable handling pack and P springs (or Steeda handling kit)
8. Aluminum 1-piece driveshaft and loop
I agree with pretty much all of those. In fact, I have most of those exact parts on my car (in bold). And I considered #7. but its not available for convertibles anymore. I think the only real difference is the rear sway bar which needs bends in it to go around some bracing.

I also went with 2-piece rotors on all 4 corners. So besides the ultra light wheels I chose, I also saved another 4 lbs per corner approx. with the rotors!

1. Lighter wheels and tires (Done with TSW's)
2. GT500 axle-backs
3. I've got an Auto
4. Steeda billet LCA's and adjustable UCA (haven't done the UCA yet)
5. Brake upgrades 2-piece rotors, Brembos up front
7. FRPP adjustable handling pack (I wish I could get this for my car)
8. Aluminum 1-piece driveshaft (Shaftmasters)
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
The TrakPak has different shocks and struts than the stock GT, along with different springs and bushings. Maybe the Boss is 1/2" lower, but still looks up in the air to me.
TrakPak shares the Boss 302 radiator and radiator support, oil cooler, rearend, transmission, clutch, brakes..although the pads are different.
I have never really been close up to a Boss and not really sure if they are adjustable or not......
The Boss has adjustable shocks and struts. Each has a slot on top to turn to 3-4 different adjustments..Maybe it was 5 choices (I can't remember)
2013 Roush Stage 3 #13-0970, Roush Phase 3 675 HP upgrade. Dynotech 3 1/2 inch Aluminum Driveshaft, Stifflers Driveshaft Safety Loop, JLT Oil Separator, Track Package, X Brace Rear Seat Delete, Roush 20" Hyper Black Wheels, Roush trunk tool kit
Scotty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty 1 View Post
The Boss has adjustable shocks and struts. Each has a slot on top to turn to 3-4 different adjustments..Maybe it was 5 choices (I can't remember)
Yeah, that's an easy upgrade to shave 10 lbs off the front of the car.
( think its 6 lbs vs. 16 lbs)

I installed the Steeda radiator support also.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT