Coyote Power +stock suspension is like putting a cannon on a row boat - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2015, 06:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Coyote Power +stock suspension is like putting a cannon on a row boat

Greetings everyone, while cruising the Audobahn at high speeds, I realized, I need to improve my suspension. I was planning on buying the Ford Racing suspension, but that is really expensive. I only plan on using the car for the street, with the occasional recreational track. Does anyone have any suggestions on a kit, or add ons that I could use to tighten up the suspension, without busting the wallet. I would rather pay $1000 total, vs the $1800 that the kit is priced at.
Thx !!!!
ricbjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Or, as I put it, it handles like a shotgun on casters.

Assuming you already have good tires, big bang for the buck is in new shocks. The factory stuff has no rebound damping and can lead to the floaty feeling at high speeds. Bilstein or Koni.

Trash the rubber bushings in the rear suspension too. Either with an energy kit and some LCAs or a new PH bar and end links. This reigns in the tendency for the body and the axle to fight over who gets to the ditch first when cornering.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello ricbcc! Nice to hear from someone in Germany. I was born and raised in Munich where I had (and wish I still did) a 1972 Mach1. Anyway, to answer your post, below is what I did to my 2014 GT. Listed prices are what I ended up paying here in the USA.

STEEDA Sport Springs - $190
STEEDA Heavy Duty Stut Mounts - $297 (not really required)
KONI STR.T Shocks & Struts - $375
BMR Rod/Poly adjustable Lower Control Arms - $260
BMR Rod/Poly adjustable Panhard Rod - $150
BMR Lower Control Arms Relocation Brackets - $110
FORD RACING Jounce Bumper Kit - $28

Total: $1410 and worth every penny! This would put you right in the middle between your $1000 and Ford's suspension kit.

I have no more "mushiness" from rubber bushings, less body roll, a firmer ride, more controlled corner handling, no wheel hop and an overall confident and predictable suspension behavior.

NVH? Of course, a little V and H, as expected with rod/heim joints, but nowhere near unbearable.

Ford really did a great job designing the stock suspension considering it's for good roads, bad roads, snow, ice, sleet, rain and good/bad drivers. But, for a small (relative) investment you could make it excellent.

You could go my route, or go with Ford's package which has matched components and eliminates guess work.

Hope my input helps with your decision.

FRPP Quad Axleback 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler MMD Window Louvers SHR Fuel Door JLT Oil Sep.
NvrNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I had the same thoughts on handling... In stock form the car is just plain awful compared to my mazdaspeed3 And all the other sports cars I owned. I have bmr upper control arm, bmr lower control arms, adjustable pan hard bar, sr performance front and rear sway bars and h&r springs and softer tires the stock ones are awful. Now the car handles much better and doesn't feel as if it's going to kill you if you stick it in a turn. My next thing will be some new struts shocks and mounts. But it is way mor capable now and can hold its on at the local auto x
hitmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't go that far. The Speed 3 I had was equipped with some of the worst dampers I'd ever seen fitted to a car with a sporting intent. New MX5 shocks did fix that but, the car wasn't a genius around turns. I did turn the power up to about 300 at the tire and that made it next door to lethal.

My BBP Mustang was surprisingly competent and had quite high handling limits, as long as the road was smooth. I've tightened a few things up since then and that's made it better. Still on BBP shocks, springs and bars, though.

It will always be a powerful, somewhat heavy, front-engine car and it can't entirely escape that, any more than the Mazdaspeed could escape its FWD.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 08-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I wouldn't go that far. The Speed 3 I had was equipped with some of the worst dampers I'd ever seen fitted to a car with a sporting intent. New MX5 shocks did fix that but, the car wasn't a genius around turns. I did turn the power up to about 300 at the tire and that made it next door to lethal.

My BBP Mustang was surprisingly competent and had quite high handling limits, as long as the road was smooth. I've tightened a few things up since then and that's made it better. Still on BBP shocks, springs and bars, though.

It will always be a powerful, somewhat heavy, front-engine car and it can't entirely escape that, any more than the Mazdaspeed could escape its FWD.
I really enjoyed the 2 Mazda speeds I owned and thought for. Front wheel drive were awesome. They worked great on the tight twisty mountain roads I hit quite often... I also have owned quite a few Porsche 944s and compared to the mustang the mustang was a train wreck. I knew I had to do something with the suspension on this car when I accidentally ran off the road (2 wheels off) and the car became so upset that I thought i was going to loose control and that was just pulling back on the road, no jerking the wheel or any thing. It violently fish tailed after pulling back on the road. It drove like a 2 wheel drive truck with worn out suspension to me.
hitmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yeah, and I can't forget the worst tires for torque steer ever from the factory that were also next door to useless unless it was 30+ degrees C out, the RE50 Bridgestones. Very satisfying that. Hankook Ventus V12 Evos tamed the torque steer some.

Live axle cars will be twitchy and when you are used to IRS and double wishbone independent front, etc, it can be a bit of a shock. They can have surprisingly high limits, as tests of the car with the BBP and Boss packages prove.

The regular GT suspension is a cluster****, I'll give you that.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

BTW, I found a model....arrrr matey....looks like rear cannon drive....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cannon.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	189932  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT