The Stock Strut plates Stink, here is why... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The Stock Strut plates Stink, here is why...

My wife rides with me 3 weeks ago and says honey Was does the Car sway so much when your shifting. It let me know she even noticed the Suspension issues.
So I order Lowering Springs, Upper Control Arm and upgraded Bracket, Lower rear control arms, and Pan hard Bar.. I have a 1 pc Drive shaft coming in this week too..
So this evening after getting all my goodies out and ready, take the Front Struts out.. Car has 14.678 miles on it.
I go to remove the Factory Springs and remove the Plates and they fall apart.. no I mean they fell apart!!!... One side didn't have any of the bearings in it.. So now i am waiting on the 05-2010 Struts I just ordered..
Here is part 2.. stupid me.. I bought the Gt500 Strut plates, they don't work with my 2013 Struts... grrrrr... Bright Side is it gave me an excuse i guess to buy the Koni Orange struts for it..
Oh Yea wife asks if they would swap the plates since the car is under warranty. I said well yea if i had not already pulled them out to put lowering spring on.. LOL
So everyone with Mustangs i would say you might ought to take the car in every once in a while and make them check them before the warranty is not good. Not even 5K on the car and they are toast. I read this has been an issue, why do they keep using them then?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Miles.PNG
Views:	117
Size:	911.6 KB
ID:	189929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole plates.PNG
Views:	128
Size:	503.6 KB
ID:	189930  

Name:	Buffed Plates.PNG
Views:	132
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	189931  
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I didn't even bother with reusing the stock strut mounts (they don't fall apart when you are very, very carful). I also didn't even think about the GT500 struts.

I installed the Steeda HD strut mounts. They have a 70mm needle bearing (vs. ball bearings) plus the camber is adjustable up to 2 degrees. The quality is top notch and, as expected, they cost more.

Here is a picture of the HD mounts attached to Steeda Sports and Konis.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	33 - Mustang - Mods 3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	823.0 KB
ID:	189978  

FRPP Quad Axleback 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler MMD Window Louvers SHR Fuel Door JLT Oil Sep.
NvrNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I ran into the same problem when doing my springs... I think they are technically one time use mounts. I took my drivers side apart and it immediately fell apart, I did however manage to find all the bearings. The passenger side didn't come apart. My next mod will be struts and shocks for sure because now with all the upgraded stuff the car feels squishy sometimes .
hitmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 04:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Man those look sweet NvrNuf. I want to lower my car but the roads in Colorado Springs suck so bad. So I was thinking about getting the AirLift system so I can raise the care when needed.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrNuf View Post
I didn't even bother with reusing the stock strut mounts (they don't fall apart when you are very, very carful). I also didn't even think about the GT500 struts.

I installed the Steeda HD strut mounts. They have a 70mm needle bearing (vs. ball bearings) plus the camber is adjustable up to 2 degrees. The quality is top notch and, as expected, they cost more.

Here is a picture of the HD mounts attached to Steeda Sports and Konis.
How is the ride with that set up?
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by utm18 View Post
How is the ride with that set up?
I'm also curious about the ride. Looks like Koni oranges, steeda pro springs, right? That's exactly what I was looking at picking up. How are they treating you, Nvr?
offroadcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Colorado
Airlift shock bushings for 13 Boss

Hi everyone,

I just had an Airlift performance suspension installed in my Boss. There was one problem with the install. The installer was unable to use the old bushings, washers and nuts from the stock rear shocks. He contacted Airlift and they said a GT bushing kit was required so he got two and installed the shocks. When I picked it up I noticed that there was intermittent clunking in the rear of the car. Checking it out I found the upper shock nuts were loose. I tightened them but the noise was still there. The nut runs out of threads before it gets tight enough to secure the shock. The GT bushing is too small to fill the hole for the Boss shock shaft. So there's two problems. I could add hardware so the nut didn't bottom out but I'm concerned that the bushing not filling the hole will still cause problems. Anyone have any suggestions?

Neal
k9walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT