Racing seats and seatbelts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Racing seats and seatbelts

Hello fam!

Im thinking of installing racing seats on my 2014. Im leaning towards CORBEAU seats since ive been doing research and because of price and quality they seem to be a good choice - any feedback?

regarding racing seatbelts, what do you guys recommend? would you even recommend me switching to racing seatbelts? its mostly a weekend car - i think racing seats and seatbelts are a good combination - they also look amazing =)

feeback appreciated!
Thanks!

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
CHILE10_STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Plenty of ppl run aftermarket seats and seatbelts. You CAN run a bar with a harness but for a street car that is just a big PITA.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Plenty of ppl run aftermarket seats and seatbelts. You CAN run a bar with a harness but for a street car that is just a big PITA.
thats what i was thinking regarding the seatbelts - I may just get the seats...
seems like too much trouble to get the seatbelts installed.

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
CHILE10_STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Racing belts without a harness bar can kill you. They need to be fixed in the right position to be safe, namely, behind you directly, not off to the side or down to the floor.

It's also pretty rice to have 5 point, 3" harnesses on a regular street car, imho.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Personally I don't see the need for "racing seats" on a street car.
If you ever plan to put racing belts in the car you will have to a bar behind the seat and the shoulder straps should be at 90 degrees to your shoulders or no more than 3.93" below your shoulders. Each side belt will need to be 45 degress from the seats anchor position and the floor reinforced.
For a track day car that really isn't raced you have your three point and air bags.
How do I know all of this......I'm a tech inspector for the SCCA along with having a National SCCA competition license.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I honestly like the Corbeau GTSII if I'm going for any seat.

Corbeau GTS II Racing Mustang Seat - Black Leather L20301 (79-15 All) - Free Shipping

Or if you have the patience/skill get a TMI upholstery/foam kit for Cobra/Mach/Bullitt whatever style you prefer and redo the stock frames. I did a basic vinyl recover with GT foams on my 98 and it looked great and the vinyl was actually real high quality but if I had to do that over I would have gotten the Cobras foams/covers in leather with the suede.

Re-covering is a royal asspain but if I can do it and get it right on the first try anyone with basic mechanical experience should be able to.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

if you plan on doing any racing, be aware that the Corbeau seats are typically not SFI or FIA approved, meaning that you have to bolt the seat back to the roll bar (this is true for NASA or SCCA Time Trial events, not sure if that is legal at all for door to door). Spend the money and get a real racing seat if you are going to go faster than 80 mph, it may save your life.

Also, check the certifications and dates on the belts, as they do expire.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
The only Corbeau seats that are FIA approved are the Forza Sport, Pro Series, and Sprint.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
FWI, racing harnesses are not legal on the street.
Emergency crews don't know how to operate the various types of latches so they are prohibited. I know, they are easy to operate for us racers but the law says no.

Also, improperly mounted harnesses are more dangerous than stock belts.
Do it right or don't do it at all.

My car has both stock belts and racing harnesses....it's a real PITA but that's what I have to do to be legal on the road and on the track.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
JDM 302E Stroker w/Stage 3 Heads & Cams, KB S/C, FRPP T/B, ARH LT's w/3" Magnaflows, plus way too much to list here
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Depends on a few things. In Virginia, you can have them in the car, you just cannot remove the original belt from the car.

Very true that improperly mounted belts are dangerous, if the angle on the shoulder belt is wrong, it will compress or break your spine.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I picked up my Recaro Ford factory seats off Craigslist and am happy with them. I did the harness bar / 5 point harness thing (G Force belts from Summit) to use at the track but since I only get to do track days a few times a year, I pulled them out. Back seat access is very limited with the bar and you won't be able to recline your seats anymore.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
^^^^^^^ tezz is 100% right. I have leather recaros and takata belts with corbeau seat belt bar. I love this set up but absolutely hate it as well. Its not practical In a daily driver although it looks really nice. It not practical and get uncomfortable with belts just sitting behind u when your driving on the street. I still use my factory belts on the street.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT