2014 GT stiff ride looking for the perfect soft ride shocks - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2015, 02:25 AM   #1

Region: Oregon
2014 GT stiff ride looking for the perfect soft ride shocks

I love all the horse power but the suspension is to stiff. I am looking for a nice soft comfortable ride. Any one find the perfect shocks to achieve a smooth ride?
benkoverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Hi there!

I'm doing research right now on this exact same topic. I'm putting components together to drop. Looks like Koni yellows will adjust to be softer than the koni oranges. I read somewhere that Koni says that the STR.T (oranges) are valved to about 2/5 hardness setting on the sport adjustables. Since you would then be able to set the yellows softer, these might be your best bet.

They are a little pricey, but sound like they're worth it.
offroadcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I have not seen many people complaining about stock setup being too stiff. Is it stock? and w/o insulting have you checked your air pressure.
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm riding with bmr springs and Koni yellows and it isn't soft. Just an FYI. Even on the softest setting. Dunno why. But yeah, bumps hurt and car is visibly jittery on bad roads

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Thanks for the feedback! That is exactly what I don't want with my DD. Those BMRs are supposed to be "factory soft" 160lbs spring rate. I can't believe you're that bouncy. That stinks. What BMRs did you get? Do you know the model number? I know BMR makes a sportier spring in addition to the soft drop spring.
offroadcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have the soft drop 1.5 in ones. Sp009

I do have bmr lca and pan hard

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Maybe something is wrong with my setup :/.

Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
After lowering my car but keeping the factory struts and shocks the ride was brutal. I called Koni and actually spoke to guy who helped design them for the S197. He recommended the Yellow adjustable. Needing a solution I orders them from AM. The ride is so much better. Don't get me wrong it's still firm. I have them set to the softest setting. The car doesn't jump around after hearing the normal bumps. It was uncomfortable to drive around the block. I drove it 4 hours two weeks ago on a road trip with my son and I was not in pain when I got home.

Justin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Supporter

Mind if I ask what vehicle you had before the Stang? Just curious if your coming from a Cadillac boat (70's-80's or LWB vehicle.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
We have had alot of success with our Steeda Pro Action Shocks & Struts & the Ultra Lite Springs:

Steeda 2011-14 Mustang Pro-Action Shocks and Struts 555-8405-11 | Free Shipping!

Quote:
HOCKED!!
Very competitve in price. As far as performance these pro actions have no competition. Hands down the best ride quality of a setup that costs hundreds more. No need to worry about adjusting just install and go! My ride quality is excellent and the handling is suprising in to turns!
Quote:
The ride quality from these are awesome! Its like the best of both worlds. I dont have the time to be playing with adjustments but if I did this is what it would feel like! Sweet ride and nice in the corners!!
Steeda 2005-14 Mustang Ultra-Lite Springs - Made in USA 555-8206 | Free Shipping!

Quote:
I had the Steeda Ultra-Lite Springs installed on my 2011 Mustang GT, as I wanted to get rid of the wheel gap and give my car a more agressive stance. The ride quality is unsurpassed and the handling far better than the OE setup. The ride is not noticable stiffer or harsher, which I wanted to accomplish, as the vehicle is my daily driver. The drop looks awesome with my Brembo setup!!! Thanks Gus and the entire Steeda Team in Pompano Beach for being professional, friendly and customer oriented! I will definitely be back for more Steeda products for my ride! - See more at: Steeda 2005-14 Mustang Ultra-Lite Springs - Made in USA 555-8206 | Free Shipping!
There are many reviews on the subject ... but our shocks are dialed in for the perfect ride!

Happy to help put a package together with forum pricing ... if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me at tim@steeda.com!

Best Regards,

TJ

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

We have had alot of success with our Steeda Pro Action Shocks & Struts & the Ultra Lite Springs:

Steeda 2011-14 Mustang Pro-Action Shocks and Struts 555-8405-11 | Free Shipping!

Quote:
HOCKED!!
Very competitve in price. As far as performance these pro actions have no competition. Hands down the best ride quality of a setup that costs hundreds more. No need to worry about adjusting just install and go! My ride quality is excellent and the handling is suprising in to turns!
Quote:
The ride quality from these are awesome! Its like the best of both worlds. I dont have the time to be playing with adjustments but if I did this is what it would feel like! Sweet ride and nice in the corners!!
Steeda 2005-14 Mustang Ultra-Lite Springs - Made in USA 555-8206 | Free Shipping!

Quote:
I had the Steeda Ultra-Lite Springs installed on my 2011 Mustang GT, as I wanted to get rid of the wheel gap and give my car a more agressive stance. The ride quality is unsurpassed and the handling far better than the OE setup. The ride is not noticable stiffer or harsher, which I wanted to accomplish, as the vehicle is my daily driver. The drop looks awesome with my Brembo setup!!! Thanks Gus and the entire Steeda Team in Pompano Beach for being professional, friendly and customer oriented! I will definitely be back for more Steeda products for my ride! - See more at: Steeda 2005-14 Mustang Ultra-Lite Springs - Made in USA 555-8206 | Free Shipping!
There are many reviews on the subject ... but our shocks are dialed in for the perfect ride!

Happy to help put a package together with forum pricing ... if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me at tim@steeda.com!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Also, here is a video to show some of the handling characteristics you can get with our setup:

We also test our springs & shocks on Sebring -- we put them to the ultimate test!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
Mind if I ask what vehicle you had before the Stang? Just curious if your coming from a Cadillac boat (70's-80's or LWB vehicle.

A smooth riding Volvo XC90, I am in sales and my work car is a 2014 Prius which I put about 225 miles or more on in a day. I am 43 years old and had back surgery March of this year. Since the Koni's I can now enjoy driving it again. I only drive it on sunny weekends. Just so you get a feel of my setup. Roush 1.5" lowering springs, Koni Yellows, Maximum Motorsports Caster/camber players, BMR adjustable lower and upper control arms, double adjustable pan hard bar, welded on lower control arm relocation brackets, rolling on RTR 19" with 285/40 In back with 245/50 front on Nitto Invos. The tires also helped with the ride.

Justin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
[QUOTE=tj@steeda;2284372]We have had alot of success with our Steeda Pro Action Shocks & Struts & the Ultra Lite Springs:

Best Regards,

Steeda,

Ok, I get that the shocks and struts were designed to work best with each other. But I have already purchased Tokico "D: spec shocks and struts. But the rear is traveling/bottoming out more than I'm comfortable with. Will swapping out the Tokico rear shocks with the Steeda Pro-actions shocks give me the same results that you described? Can the shocks be purchased separately?
tsidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #13
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by benkoverbend View Post
I love all the horse power but the suspension is to stiff. I am looking for a nice soft comfortable ride. Any one find the perfect shocks to achieve a smooth ride?
Track Pak? if not, can't see how you are going to make it softer. It already rides like a wallowing marsh mellow.

Good enough for me, and against all conventional wisdom from the handling gurus, I am going to put in big monster sway bars and nothing else after my warrantee is up. Will it be faster around a race track doing that, WHO CARES!! It will feel sportier at 6/10's, which is fine for me.

May go Bilstiens too if I feel they may damp better, without hurting ride quality at all (which many times Bilsteins can).
Old 12-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
if you think the stock suspension is stiff most likely anything anyone here suggests is going to make it worse. Just saying most are in to handling and launch which sort of contradict what you are describing. Stiff = Good for most part regarding performance
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Time to trade for a CTS-V

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

My neighbor is trading a CTS-V for a "Hellcat" dodge!
Old 12-03-2015, 05:23 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
It's a sports car, it's supposed to be stiff for better handling.
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #18

Region: California
It's The Tires!

I have a 2013 GT Premium, stock brakes and 18" premium wheels. I put on the Koni Yellows and Boss 302 stock springs which greatly improved the ride...BUT..it was still bouncy and the stock Pirellis were like driving on wooden wheels the more they wore - noisy and bouncy.
It wasn't until I changed the "tires" that I got the quit smooth ride I was looking for.
After much research, I settled on the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2. Sidewalls flex more than the Pirellis in turns but the ride is WAY better. More like what it should be in a GT car. Look at the reviews on TireRack and Consumer Reports and make up your own mind. They grip very well on dry and wet pavement, better than the Pirellis in my opinion. They wear about the same as the Pirellis.
Maczs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by benkoverbend View Post
Bought the wrong car.

LG G3
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT