EPA Cracking down on Tuners? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
EPA Cracking down on Tuners?

Just got an email from Matt at Steeda stating the EPA might be cracking down on tuners for off road exhaust set ups. Anyone else hear anything about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Black 2014 Mustang GT /w Track Pack - Multiple exterior mods, Borla S-Type axel backs, Lund Tune, ARH LT Headers, O/R H, Steeda Tansmission Mount Insert, Steeda Panhard bar and brace, Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts, Steeda HD upper strut mounts, Steeda LCA/UCA and mount. BMR LCA relocation brackets, Steeda Sport Springs, Boss IM, Steeda CAI.
Logiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiq View Post
Just got an email from Matt at Steeda stating the EPA might be cracking down on tuners for off road exhaust set ups. Anyone else hear anything about this?

Did a quick google search and all I found was stuff about tuners for diesel engines being cracked down (dating back to 2011-12). Interested in seeing what else pops up in this thread.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I searched too and didn't find anything. Matt advised he would keep me updated on the situation as I'm working with them on tune issue for quite some time now.

Black 2014 Mustang GT /w Track Pack - Multiple exterior mods, Borla S-Type axel backs, Lund Tune, ARH LT Headers, O/R H, Steeda Tansmission Mount Insert, Steeda Panhard bar and brace, Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts, Steeda HD upper strut mounts, Steeda LCA/UCA and mount. BMR LCA relocation brackets, Steeda Sport Springs, Boss IM, Steeda CAI.
Logiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It will happen eventually.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Kevin.Cook

I am not the most knowledgeable on this stuff but did some googling...

I heard they will be making emissions law stricter across the entire US. This may be why talks of some supercharged V8s will be switching to turbos?

UPDATE: 2017 Shelby GT500 is coming, could crack 740+ HP w/ Direct-Injection Twin-Turbo EcoBoost 5.0 (Video) | HorsepowerKings.com

Not sure how credible that site is and it is only speculation.

However, they did make the Ford GT at a 3.5L twin turbo. So that might say a lot: https://social.ford.com/content/ford...150826152204:s

found this: The EPA has adopted the California emissions standards as a national standard by the 2016 model year[4] and is collaborating with California regulators on stricter national emissions standards for model years 2017–2025.

This might also explain why more car manufacturers are going the ecoboost route. Because everyone will be more eco conscious soon so offroad setups and big older engine cars with no cats or anything might get cracked down on.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If it does happen all that will change is you'll have to sign a disclaimer saying you will only load the tune at the track and will not run it on the street and absolve the tuner from any responsibility.

Or just run cats, its not like they really rob any power these days if you buy good ones.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Can't the EPA just stick with polluting rivers. Opps, gee we're sorry.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Depends on your power adder of choice. High Hp nitrous cars can't run cats. Same with high HP turbo cars.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #9
Kevin.Cook

On: Regulatory Initiatives | Climate Change | US EPA

EPA and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) are taking coordinated steps to enable the production of a new generation of clean vehicles-- from the smallest cars to the largest trucks--through reduced greenhouse gas emissions and improved fuel use.

Is probably referring to newer vehicles going the eco route.

I checked: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/19/bu...anted=all&_r=0

I can't tell if that is only referring to California or the whole US.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Now that I am reading more in to this. I guess it has been going on for some time:

Our decision to discontinue these products is based on recent statements made by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) regarding diesel performance products intended solely for racing/off-road use. The EPA and CARB have taken the position that the manufacturer of such products is solely responsible for the proper use of those products by the end-user. Despite our best efforts to carefully develop and implement procedures designed to ensure that each purchaser of our off-road/race-only products is aware of his or her legal obligations and promises to use those products in a lawful manner, as of this time we have not been able to gain satisfactory assurance that such measures will be considered adequate by the EPA and CARB. Consequently, we have chosen to withdraw our off-road/race-only products from the marketplace until we are able to verify that the sale of those products can be achieved in a manner that satisfies EPA’s and CARB’s concerns.

We will continue to monitor developments with regard to applicable federal and state legal requirements. If and when we are able to re-introduce these products into the marketplace in a manner that definitively meets all EPA and CARB requirements, we will do so. In the meantime, we trust that you will understand the basis for our decision.

Thank you for your continued support.
Regards,

Rick Trudo, President - SCT Performance, LLC.

That was back in 2012.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
Can't the EPA just stick with polluting rivers. Opps, gee we're sorry.
I see what you did there
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #12
Kevin.Cook

Even though that particular one is for Deisel, you can find threads like that and such all over other forums.

EPA shutting down tuning companies...

EPA going after tuning companies

There are more also. Those were examples.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Effin' Smog Nazi's....

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Depends on your power adder of choice. High Hp nitrous cars can't run cats. Same with high HP turbo cars.

and fed coyote.
Yep so longtubes and mid pipe for easy swap on ramps in a few minutes for emissions days and make friends with your tuner.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Or if you just have a "visual" inspection (like we do out here and catch hell every year)

You can do dummy cats.
Or be like me and say F it and deal with the complications when it comes time.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah we have a visual here with an OBDII check so if the tune turns off all the emissions stuff so it doesn't flag and reports everything as ready and the inspectors see what look like cats. On goes the sticker good for 2 years.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

We have to do ours every year. It's only a visual. I caught hell last year but they did it anyways.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #18

Eh we'll be fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
TEZ GT80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
logically it would be a real waste of time and resources to go after such a miniscule portion of the driving population, but logic and the EPA rarely go together
rwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
We have to do ours every year. It's only a visual. I caught hell last year but they did it anyways.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.

Texas right? My last few inspections have only been check the lights and and a drive around a parking lot. they never raised it up so I'll keep going tot that guy
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

EPA Cracking down on Tuners?

They pulled mine in to the oil change booth last year, after they saw the nitrous pressure gauge in the car. Then opened the hood and started checking everything. And looked under it. First time I have ever had that happen.

Never found my kit though as its mounted under the manifold.

Gave me hell about no cats. They called the manager over there and told him that the cats were gone.

Yes Texas.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Or if you just have a "visual" inspection (like we do out here and catch hell every year)

You can do dummy cats.
Or be like me and say F it and deal with the complications when it comes time.

and fed coyote.
Easy to say, but there is this one cop in my area that has supposedly been targeting modified cars. A guy i know just got his car impounded for no cats. I also know plenty of other people he has given tickets to. I've personally never had an issue with cops even times i've gotten pulled over. But this one guy in the area is out to get us. Damn motorcycle cops.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:59 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I keep an OEM H-pipe in my shed for inspection purposes.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-27-2015, 06:47 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Easy to say, but there is this one cop in my area that has supposedly been targeting modified cars. A guy i know just got his car impounded for no cats. I also know plenty of other people he has given tickets to. I've personally never had an issue with cops even times i've gotten pulled over. But this one guy in the area is out to get us. Damn motorcycle cops.
I had a cop poke his head under my car once in all my years of not running a catted pipe and since I got off with a warning I think due to the military ID. I will never run a straight up blatant offroad pipe again honestly. I don't need some prick towing my car because his life sucks or for whatever reason.

If I do get a longtube setup in the future or whatever it probably will be offroad because at that point I'll have a built motor but it'll damn sure have dummy cats and a catback that isn't obnoxiously loud.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I had a cop poke his head under my car once in all my years of not running a catted pipe and since I got off with a warning I think due to the military ID. I will never run a straight up blatant offroad pipe again honestly. I don't need some prick towing my car because his life sucks or for whatever reason.

If I do get a longtube setup in the future or whatever it probably will be offroad because at that point I'll have a built motor but it'll damn sure have dummy cats and a catback that isn't obnoxiously loud.
Hypothetically, say someone is running dummy cats and the cop wants to be a real pain. Is there anything that he can do other than look under the car to check them? It's not like it's easy to tell if they're fake, right?
offroadcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #26
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
EPA

I live in PA in one of the 30 or so counties that are required to have emissions.
I have done no removal of cats, etc.
That said, if the vehicle has no codes and is in ready mode it will pass.
They upload all that info to the state
The place I take it rarely lifts a vehicle, they'll check ball joints, etc on jack.
My Impala freaks out alot and twice wasn't ready for no apparent reason.
I often consider get my inspection cert as my neighbor teaches the night classes at the vo tech.
REG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT