Would you buy with a rebuilt title? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Getting closer to that price range I would suggest maybe start looking at 07-09 or even 2010 GT500s. $28k gets you a nice one with some bolt ons. An 07 near me just sold for $30k and it had 32k miles, full bolt ons, a TVS and documented 680/620 to the wheels with a conservative tune. A real clean low miles 2010 will go for the $35k range. In 2011 the only real change was the aluminum block which jumps the price into the low $40k range which is completely not worth it IMO but whatevs.

I still have to see if the white base model 2011 Coyote in FL is still for sale on SVTP. $20k monies, zero options white with black cloth interior manual trans. Something like 21 or 22k miles on it.

Oh, that's another thing. Buy from a private party and PREFERABLY buy from a private party who is an active member on a Mustang forum. This way you can run back through their posts and see what sort of person they are and how they treated the car and even a history on said car.

I'd never buy a Mustang from a dealer unless I KNEW it was bone *** stock and low miles and always maintained by THAT dealer. Or if it was a brokered deal through a dealer where I was actually buying from a PP but wanted to go through a dealer for financing reasons etc...

Cliff's notes:

Find a base model 2011 GT for $20k with low miles and a clean title. They are out there. You might have to travel.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I didn't read all of the posts, but were the replaced parts OEM or did they do on the cheap? Wouldn't buy!
rogcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think that some of you guys are way too high on your estimates of that cars value with a rebuilt/salvage title. Insurance companies generally total a vehicle if the damage exceeds about 80% of the vehicles value.
When a car is salvaged when it is still fairly new, there had to have been MAJOR damage. Or it was stolen and completely stripped clean. Sure, it may have been repairable, but in the case of major body damage, the big concern is the structural integrity of the chassis in the event of another similar accident. The car may not absorb the impact, and protect the occupants, the second time around, like it was originally designed to do. It's comparable to re-using a motorcycle helmet after you have been down with it once already...

Older cars are a different story. Some get totalled with very little damage. Or none at all! In CA, you can go through the salvage title process to avoid paying any late fees that have accrued on the registration.

In any case, you need to be able to see complete documentation and photos of whatever damage/theft that caused the vehicle to be considered a total loss, to be able to make an informed decision.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #39
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I may be wrong on this ---But I was once told

Even in a very minor collision and the airbag deployed the insurance company would total the car.
" The Great Recon" would probably know how to check this out. It is just something I had heard from someone at one time.
I really don't know but if this is true and a person is planning on keeping a car until the wheels fall off, A highly discounted car would be a good purchase. even with a rebuilt title.
That is as long as it is repaired correctly.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #40
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Even in a very minor collision and the airbag deployed the insurance company would total the car.
" The Great Recon" would probably know how to check this out. It is just something I had heard from someone at one time.
I really don't know but if this is true and a person is planning on keeping a car until the wheels fall off, A highly discounted car would be a good purchase. even with a rebuilt title.
Ronnie
There is a huge problem of "rebuilt" cars being reconstructed --- again with cheap parts -- and they sometimes even leave the airbag out, as they cost over $1,200.
That would be a major thing to have to find out the hard way, right?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
For a couple of grand more you can get an unmodded,unmolested,
never been wrecked car, and have a higher resale value down the line when you go to sell or trade.
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #42

Region: North Carolina
Fwiw, I bought a 2011 GT from a. Dealer. 54k. Not a premium and I paid 19.2. Not wrecked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:36 PM   #43
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Fwiw, I bought a 2011 GT from a. Dealer. 54k. Not a premium and I paid 19.2. Not wrecked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought mine with 30K miles for about $21.5 out the door. Only thing that showed up on Carfax was oil changes and registration. Mine is a No Frills car either. The dealer was asking $24 which I laughed at... They think I am young and stupid, but I am only young and cheap.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

I wish I had been young and cheap lmao. Good on you.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:17 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Getting closer to that price range I would suggest maybe start looking at 07-09 or even 2010 GT500s. $28k gets you a nice one with some bolt ons. An 07 near me just sold for $30k and it had 32k miles, full bolt ons, a TVS and documented 680/620 to the wheels with a conservative tune. A real clean low miles 2010 will go for the $35k range. In 2011 the only real change was the aluminum block which jumps the price into the low $40k range which is completely not worth it IMO but whatevs.

I still have to see if the white base model 2011 Coyote in FL is still for sale on SVTP. $20k monies, zero options white with black cloth interior manual trans. Something like 21 or 22k miles on it.

Oh, that's another thing. Buy from a private party and PREFERABLY buy from a private party who is an active member on a Mustang forum. This way you can run back through their posts and see what sort of person they are and how they treated the car and even a history on said car.

I'd never buy a Mustang from a dealer unless I KNEW it was bone *** stock and low miles and always maintained by THAT dealer. Or if it was a brokered deal through a dealer where I was actually buying from a PP but wanted to go through a dealer for financing reasons etc...

Cliff's notes:

Find a base model 2011 GT for $20k with low miles and a clean title. They are out there. You might have to travel.
$20k to $25k as I suggested is probably doable....

All the sudden you upped his budget to $28-35k ?!
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #46
Staff
Regular
Staff

No someone else was posting stuff in the $27k range and it looked like a stock car. So I posted that with the bolt ons and all the extra stuff ppl do, just spend the money up front and get a 600+hp monster.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #47
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I wish I had been young and cheap lmao. Good on you.

Haha, thanks! It seems to work, or at least I tell myself it does! If I could do it over I would of found a clean Fox for under $12. It's about what you and your wallet likes.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:22 PM   #48
Staff
Regular
Staff

Nah, your car now is nicer. At least I think so.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Two of the cars that I have been helping to develop this season have rebuild titles. One is a 2002 Honda S2000 that had the front quarter of the car taken off by a semi three years ago, then rebuilt. Charlie later bought it for $6,000 (much less than the standard going rate of $17,000 for that year and mileage combo), and it has been a very reliable race car since.

The other car is a 2000 Porsche 911 Millenium Edition (this car is #165 of 911), and was broadsided in such a manner that the left tail light was in contact with the drive door (knocked the rear third of the car off). It was rebuilt (painstakingly), and is now worth $10,000 less than the $25,000 blue book value (for a grand total of $15,000). I have beaten the snot out of this lovely example of a 911, and it just keeps coming back for more (it only gets driven on track now, poor car).

Point of the story is that a properly rebuilt car can be a reliable and safe companion. That said, that person is absolutely insane with their price. I would not pay $20,000 for a PRISTINE 2011 GT, much less a rebuilt one (considering that I was offered a 2013 track pack for that same figure with half the miles, just keep looking).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Never buy a rebuilt car like a Mustang! Ever! Think for just a second...YOU are also going to try to sell it again one day....now as a third or fourth owner... And previously totaled? Yeah good luck with that.
And that guys is high AF even thinking that price.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #51
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Would you buy with a rebuilt title?

We have a LS2 GTO at the shop that's being rebuilt from a crash. We're doing the alignment and getting the engine out of limp mode. It's just crashed vehicles are worth less than their counterparts. It's just how it is. And you never know if the repairs were Halfassed or properly repaired. That's why people tend to stay away from rebuilt cars. Just don't want to risk it being a halfass fixed car. Everything is fixable. This car is a living testament to it. Properly repaired that is.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1441334784.671407.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	190561

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Ronnie
Not true. (on an older car, not worth a lot of $, your statement may be somewhat a rule of thumb). What others have said about ins companies using a % of the car's actual value is accurate. My experience working at a shop was that ins companies totaled at appx 75% of blue book.

No way that car didn't have frame damage in order to get a salvage title. I personally would not buy a salvage title car, but - as has been mentioned, if it checks out, it may be fine. The issue I would have with "what is it worth" would be ever re-selling it. The pool of potential buyers is MUCH smaller for that car, and props to the guy who brought up trading it in - that would be out of the question. No dealer would take it.
Springer200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I would refrain from purchasing a rebuilt car especially at that price. As another point of reference I sold my 2011 GT premium with 80k for $18k. I also have a 2010 Fusion that I did buy with a rebuilt title and it was a major headache to get the title plated and insurance for it in WI.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jdjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I think the op has decided to walk away from the car 20 posts ago ...

Old 09-04-2015, 08:53 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I don't blame him. Don't get me wrong I'd buy a rebuilt title again, but there would have to be significant financial incentive.

Jdjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
In the Nashville, TN info

I have a lot of people I meet in the auto business. First i have bought Rebuilt titles and been fine. I ask for pictures of damage, find out where the care was fixed and go from there. Nashville market and I am sure others has a booming Rebuilt title business. I was told the immigrants come in, don't really know what a rebuilt tile main on Values. So they buy the cars from Craigslist and tote your note lots for like 80% of retail.. They don't realize the problem till the go to sell or trade to a real dealer.... When I heard this i just shook my head.
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT