Would you buy with a rebuilt title? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Would you buy with a rebuilt title?

Hello everyone i need some advice. Im looking to purchase the 2011 5.0 GT Premium. It has a rebuilt title due to an accident. It was hit on the driver side. The damage was done to the driver front fender and the bumper on that side only. It has been repaired and everything. Nothing is wrong with the car. No frame damage or anything.

It has 54,000 miles. He's selling it fo $20,000.

What are your thoughts?

The mods on the car include, Ground effects kit, rear spoiler, flowmasters and whatever else you see in the pic.

Thanks and i look forward to your feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 5.0.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	190438  
mergejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I would consider it if there was absolutely no frame damage, but it better be a much better price than just buying one with a clean title.
S197 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

He said he'll take 19K. That's still around $3500-$5000 cheaper than what I've been looking at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Would you buy with a rebuilt title?

I'd want receipts of the repairs; and if they have them, pictures of the wreck and rebuild process. If everything is good, I'd offer 17 then start negotiating a price we could agree on. In my opinion 20 is too much for a rebuilt coyote, even with lowish miles. Just my .02 on the situation.

Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks @The great Recon. I'll hit him up and find out

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Left this out but ALL receipts of the repairs. I don't care if it's a hair strand scratch or a dent the size of a grain of sand. Every repair big or small. The small ones are just as important as the big ones.

Pick your poison.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Careful with getting full coverage when it comes to insurance as well . May want to check into that

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I definitely agree

Old 09-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Another thing is it looks like it's at a dealership. If you agree on a lower price than what they are asking be prepared. They will try to make that up in the "fine print" of the buying process. It's just the way they work. And if you get it run and never look/go back.

Pick your poison.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

@ The Great Recon. The guy that owns the car items a room ship as well. That's where the pic of the car is taken at. He said he's the second owner

Old 09-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

That's a good thing.

Pick your poison.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

This autocorrect messed it up lol. It was supposed to say "owns a rim shop" thats where the pic of the car was taken

Old 09-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
You are getting good advice here. Getting copies of all receipts for the repairs is just the start. Make sure they used OEM parts, not aftermarket. Can you talk with the shop that repaired it? This is NOT a car to fall head over heels for without doing your due diligence.
Checking on the availability of insurance is right there as number 2.
You'd better LOVE the car as well, because you are going to be keeping this car.
Rebuilt title cars are nearly impossible to sell, and a dealer will not even take it in on trade, typically. As this is the case, they are WAY strong on the price to me.
Have you run this car through Kelly Blue Book or NADA to see what a CLEAN title is worth?

According to KBB in my zip code (and I used "fair" condition as the lowest available) this car is worth $18,457. Rebuilt title should be worth about 75% of that or (a lot) less......another word for "rebuilt" is "totaled!!!"
Dealers in this state cannot even sell a car with that on the title.
My advice?........Run, don't walk away from this car, and keep looking.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That's awesome info. No I haven't. I don't think I'm interested if I don't think I'll be able to get rid of it when I'm done having fun with it. I need to read up on rebuilt titles.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
There was a lot more than just a fender and bumper. For a insurance to total it. The owner bought it back from the insurance company and had some body shop put on a couple of parts and is selling it.

The hood doesn't look like it is stock. Probably damaged in accident and it was cheaper to buy an aftermarket than a stock hood.

Do you have someone near you that has a body shop or a mechanic you use? What does Car Fax show on the car? If your still in a car buying trance, have the owner take it down and get a Car Fax. If it doesn't show any damage, it would be worth the fee and reimburse the owner the cost of the report.

If he doesn't want to, grab your check book and exit the property!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
When shopping for a coyote I came across one on craigslist that I couldn't believe to be true. When I went to look at it I realized it was a rebuilt title. I walked away although it looked amazing. from my experience people rebuild cars on the cheap and cut corners. Just trouble waiting to happen
alterego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Consider this. Whatever damage that caused that car to be totalled was in the neighborhood of 15-20 thousand dollars. Depending on what year that the accident occurred... Maybe more!
That car is worth no more than HALF of it's blue book value.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
^^This...........to "total" a car, that means that the value to repair it exceeded (usually) about 50% of the value of the car. This differs from one insurance company to another.........but using the 50% as a guide, that means there was over $10,000 to $20,000 damage to the car in the collision, depending on the value of the car at the time of the collision.
That is a LOT more than a fender and bumper........What happens to cars like this is that the owner will buy it from the insurance company at wholesale, still damaged. They will then fix the 50% damage cost for a lot less using cheap labor and parts, and try to charge near retail for a car that cost them half as much.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Don't buy a rebuilt title car. Also $19k for one with 55k miles? Please.

If you are willing to travel you can get a car with half those miles for around that price and no rebuilt title.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I second that
alterego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #21
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
Personally if it wasn't a classic I'd keep looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Don't buy a rebuilt title car. Also $19k for one with 55k miles? Please.

If you are willing to travel you can get a car with half those miles for around that price and no rebuilt title.
Ditto
Old 09-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I don't buy cars that Been in an accident so to buy one with an r title is inconceivable.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

I mean here is a quick result I found in WV with 45k miles and lightly modded and clean title for $20k

2011 gt/cs

You can find base model 2011s for that price in the 20k-30k mileage range.

You are smoking a 30 gram rock if you think $19k is a good price for a rebuilt title. Try more like $15k and even then.

Also the one I linked has a warranty still and is an cheap flight and 1 day drive back to GA from WV. Or take a trailer.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
No need to call the guy a crack head. I can c why he wants the car... It's a looker!! If ur looking for a stang b patient and Ul find the right one. Might have to pay not but Ul b glad u did. Besides if u decide to sell it in the future u will have better luck doing that without an r title attached to it.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
A general rule of thumb I've always gone by is regardless of what causes the damage a rebuilt title lowers the cars value by 40-50%.

With that said nothing wrong with a car either a rebuilt title but make sure you don't over pay for it. Also I would plan on keeping it for a while because the majority of buyers will be scared away.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Chiming in late, so forgive me if this has been covered. There are more considerations than just the quality of the build with a rebuilt title. They're harder to insure and resale value is crap. As mentioned, it's a crap shoot as to whether or not it was a quality rebuild. For certain $19k is WAY too much. You can get a quality car of the same year for that price. Just pass, man. Car dealerships all over are dying to sell cars to the point these days where almost any credit situation or lack of down payment is not an issue.

You can do WAY better.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm going to pass on this one

Old 09-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
From a guy who has done body work to make a living in the past, not all salvaged title cars were ever really that bad off. Insurance companies over pay for labor (paying 8 hours to skin a door when a guy with half a brain and the right tools can do it in 3.5), they pay for things that are not broken but scuffed, maybe a single mounting tab on a door panel is bent? Ohh guess what we will have to replace that.

My point is I have seen many cars that should have been fixed, not fixed because of this kind of crap. And generally speaking anything can be fixed correctly. Obviously an inspection would be the smart choice before a buy like that.

The price? Yeah it's too high. I wouldn't pay more than 16.5 for that.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:27 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Not for that price!!! I bought my 2011 gt premium with 45k on it for $19k...clean title. Offer no more than $14k.....AFTER INDEPENDENT INSPECTION

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BlackBetty2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #30
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
You are getting good advice here. Getting copies of all receipts for the repairs is just the start. Make sure they used OEM parts, not aftermarket. Can you talk with the shop that repaired it? This is NOT a car to fall head over heels for without doing your due diligence.
Checking on the availability of insurance is right there as number 2.
You'd better LOVE the car as well, because you are going to be keeping this car.
Rebuilt title cars are nearly impossible to sell, and a dealer will not even take it in on trade, typically. As this is the case, they are WAY strong on the price to me.
Have you run this car through Kelly Blue Book or NADA to see what a CLEAN title is worth?

According to KBB in my zip code (and I used "fair" condition as the lowest available) this car is worth $18,457. Rebuilt title should be worth about 75% of that or (a lot) less......another word for "rebuilt" is "totaled!!!"
Dealers in this state cannot even sell a car with that on the title.
My advice?........Run, don't walk away from this car, and keep looking.
Totally agree. Way too pricey/new of a car to pay that much and be stuck with something no one wants. Now if it was 15 years old, practically mint, and going for 3-4 grand, then MAYBE!!!!!!!!!

If they were ASKING 10 grand, it might be intriguing , but still NO...........
Old 09-02-2015, 08:26 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergejones View Post
Thanks a lot everyone. I'm going to pass on this one
Pass at $19k.

But price (a low enough one) can fix anything.

Now if he's willing to come down to $15k, I'd consider it.
BUT I wouldn't pay a penny over that.

Tell him straight up. "KBB is $19-20k with no problems. This has a TOTALLED title meaning its worth 75% of that max, which means $15k. I won't pay a cent over $15k. If you want to sell your car, let me know. If not thanks for your time. BYE."

And plan on keeping the car for a while. If this car is just a stepping stone to your next car... ie: you're only going to own it for 3 years or less, you should pass, b/c you'll end up taking a huge loss on it. If you own it for 4-5 years or more you'll get your money's worth out of it & still be able to get a few grand out of it, depending on the miles you put on it.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Used 2011 Ford Mustang Coupe, 5.0, Performance White For Sale in Orlando, Daytona Beach, DeLand, FL, B5121860
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Nothing inherently wrong with rebuilt. Frame important. Ask to see the repair bills. It would need to be a decent savings IMO like others are saying. For a couple thousand I would just get a reg. used
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

That's a DAMN good deal. Premium too and the auto. The auto is actually a blessing in disguise for the 11+ cars. Its easily the better trans but still have the "omg auto girly car" crowd making them less desirable. Good for ppl who know tho.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 09-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Personally, I'd wait / save up more $ (or finance) and get a 2013 GT.

Something like this:
Ford Mustang GT Premium 5 0 6 SPD Leather 19'S | eBay

Has the newer front bumper & tail lights and half the miles you were looking at. (only 27,000 miles)

This is a premium, leather interior and has some nice TSW lightweight wheels on it. (I have the same wheels in silver. They're nice & are $1,600 just for the rims.)

I'd so much rather have that.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT