Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2013 mustang selectshift button fix

36K views 72 replies 16 participants last post by  tukatz 
#1 ·
After a long search and finding very little help or pictures on how to. I desided to get my hands on it and fix it

Issue is after long period of use this buttons get carbon build-up and quit working or fail to work propertly in result of ending having to press them harder or not working at all
the fix its simple if you have steady hands and extremely carefull with plastic small pullers pry the button out of the shifter very important to be extremely careful since it might break also make sure is done on hot day since plastic breaks easy on cold weather
Cameras & optics Vehicle Camera Car Photography

Vehicle Car Gear shift Auto part Mid-size car

Green Tire Automotive tire Nail Finger

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Land rover discovery

Vehicle door Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Tire

I used an eraser to cleanup the carbon buildup put everything back together and it works like brand new

See less See more
#4 ·
I've had my car for a little over two years and 14,000 miles and I have not used these buttons yet. I guess I should try them out before my warranty is gone.

Wayne

#6 ·
Thanks so much man! just fixed my select mode :)

#8 ·
Button problems again

I am new to the forum and just found this thread looking for button problems. Mine had become difficult to upshift at just shy of 19,000 miles. The dealer dealt with it under warranty. Now, about 27 months later and nearing 44,000 miles it is doing it again. I would love to be able to fix it myself. Do you have any info on the pullers you used to remove the SelectShift button from the shift handle? Also, is there any trick to pulling the green circuit panel loose from the switch? I wonder why it only seems to be a problem when upshifting. Downshifting works just fine.

#13 ·
Honestly hardest scaryest part is taking it out of the shifter feels like something will break but one out next step is to take chrome trim like you see on first picture 2 chrome tabs on the top and 2 like it on the other side then the 2 black ones next to it and the 2 on the opposite side let me know if u need me to point them on the pictures

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I wish I would have made a video when I did mines I guess I'll try to remember next time I do it.. it's just hard to do so while holding a phone to record unless I get a second person to film lol

#15 ·
Thanks. Pointers on the pictures would be a big help. The weather is a bit cool right now (Western Washington State) so I'll probably wait a few days for it to warm up a bit more before I work on it. I suppose I could always use a hair dryer to warm up the shift knob. I have some very small screwdrivers I can use to get the button out of the handle.

#19 ·
? Mark means I can't remember if that's actually a tab or not but once u have out out and chrome part off will be easy to figure out you will know what I mean it's easy to figure out just make sure u do on warm weather cold weather and plastic tabs and not friendly

#26 ·
I did mine this afternoon and have some observations.

It is obviously easier to perform this surgery with the shift lever in D or S. There is a plastic plate on the right side of the shift lever with an indentation at the back. A slot screw driver can be used to remove that plate. Look down into the area below the plate and you will see a sort of cream colored plastic bit. Use a long screw driver to push the plastic bit (forward if I recall correctly) while you pull the shift lever back into D or S. Put the plastic plate back on so you won't drop things into that well. The shift lever can be moved forward again without pressing on that plastic bit.

It took me a good bit of fiddling around to get the button out and there is not a lot of free play in the wire attached to it. Just take it slow and easy.

The bezel came off of the button pretty easily, and the black rocker button came out easily also, although that is not necessary.

It took a lot more fiddling around to get the green plate shown above removed from the button, but I was able to do so without breaking anything. My green plate did not have an excessive amount of carbon on the contacts, but I used an eraser on them anyway. I also used it on the round bits that touch the gold contacts.

It was fairly easy to get the green plate back in, but not as easy to get the black rocker button back in or the bezel back on. It was also not that easy getting the button back into the shift lever, but it obviously will go.

The good news is that it operated like new during my test drive after the surgery. I just hope it is a very long time before I have to do that again.

#29 ·
When I drive autocross I use the button and never get out of second but sometimes drop back down to first. Around town there are several hills that I take in third where fully automatic would upshift. The same is true on the highway. I prefer to keep the revs up and be able to accelerate more readily if needed. In all other cases I also let the computer do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.