Best mods to improve handling - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Best mods to improve handling

2011 GT used as daily driver. What are your suggested mods to improve handling? Besides aesthetics, what will lowering do?

Thx in advance.

Sent from my XT1096 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Brewcityf6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2015, 09:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Tires and a good set of springs will go a long way. Throw a bit of negative camber in there and you'll be surprised.

2011 Kona Blue Gt

IG - The_Chech

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
A start would be some lowering springs, new shocks and struts along with an adjustable pan hard bar. When you lower the car you will need to recenter the axle with the adjustable pan hard..............IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Does lowering it just tighten it up and reduce body roll?

Old 09-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcityf6b View Post
Does lowering it just tighten it up and reduce body roll?

It depends on the car, really. The suspension from factory is sometimes not set up specifically to work well with the "roll center" of the car. They add some travel to make it a cushy ride, which sacrifices handling characteristics.

The idea is to get this 'roll center' lower, so that the weight of the car has less leverage over the wheelbase. Picture the Eiffel tower with 4 wheels on it so you can roll it around. Its gonna be pretty easy to shift the weight 100% from one side to the other. Now picture a flat concrete slab that has 4 wheels mounted to it on the sides so you can roll it around. Weight is going to be pretty evenly distributed to all 4 wheels no matter how hard you try to tip it over. Despite being heavy, its not tipping very much or focusing all of the weight to one or two wheels. That's because it has a very low roll center.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
This ...

Depending on your budget ... we can build a similar package for you & the best part is, all of our Steeda Manufactured Parts are 10% off!

Springs will do this (better to show than tell):

Let me know if I can help with any questions ... you can email me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Great information thanks guys.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:47 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Adjustable sway bars in front and back felt like the best handling mod to me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Ammermeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Ive built my stang for road course and I noticed a great improvement with Koni Yellows. I have eibach prokit springs and adjustable front sway bar and upgraded rear sway bar. Lower control arms with relocation brackets. The car handles incredible with hankook rs3 285s all around. I just need better brake pads to reduce brake fade cause the hawk hps cannot handle the heat. You will like the koni yellows and a nice sticky tire. The stang is a very capable car. I was eating a 1LE camaro on the road course amd thats consider there track pack b4 the z28

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yowza. Almost $900 for the shocks and struts. Is this overkill for a daily driver? Is this something one can piecemeal over time? If so, do you suggest starting with lowering springs and adjustable pan hard bar? Or do the shocks and struts need to be done at the same time?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Simple answer is no, they don't need to be done all at once....if you lower with springs you will also need an adjustable pan hard bar to recenter the axle at the same time as the springs though.
You can always put new struts/shocks on later..........just remember you will have to pull everything apart again.
I think your ride quality may suffer a little just using the lowering springs as the OE struts/shocks were not designed for lowered springs. I helped change a friends 2011 TrakPak Mustang and we just put Eibach Prolines....1.5" drop.....and his seemed to ride stiffer than the OE springs.
So, if you don't want to spend the money just buy the springs and pan hard, it's your car and your money.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I lowered my mustang first with just springs, camber bolts and panhard bar and it worked perfectly fine. Its when I got into the road course I found what the car needed. You dont need new shocks and struts and yes the ride gets stiffer with koni yellows even on the softest settings

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

I wouldn't recommend using "camber bolts" as they are much weaker than OE because of the diminished diameter............Out of the 5 late model Mustangs I've helped lower not once have I had to use caster/camber plates or those dreaded "camber bolts". When I dropped my my TrakPak with Eibach Sportlines on factory struts and new OE hardware it was approximately 1.6" in front and 2.1" in the rear and I was still within Ford OE alignment specs. I was on the high side for caster and the low side for camber...........I've driven over 6000 miles with no tire wear or front end issues...........save the money you would spend on the camber bolts and buy some flowers for you partner.........don't waste your money.......IMHO
Old 09-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Based just on my '11GT experience.
If you are planning to use it as a spirited driving car. First mod to get KONI STRT (orange) shocks.
Replace your junk pirellis with Michelin Super Sport tires.
If you want to lower it STEEDA Sport springs will make your car look perfect and not too lowered to have a very bumpy ride, even my car staid centered in the back without needing panhard bars.
Adjustable sways bars are only worth it, if you are planning to track very often your car, it will help you fine tune your handling, and also for that upgrade to wider wheels and tires.
Good luck with your decision!
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
M3hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the info guys. I realize steeda is represented on this thread but how do the link shocks and struts compare to the more affordable steeda?

Old 09-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys. I realize steeda is represented on this thread but how do the link shocks and struts compare to the more affordable steeda?

Not sure what you mean by "Link Shocks and Struts"
Old 09-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry I meant "koni" not link.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
2011 GT used as daily driver. What are your suggested mods to improve handling? Besides aesthetics, what will lowering do?

Thx in advance.

Wait, you have a Gt and you want better handling?? You said its your daily driver. Are you auto cross racing it?

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. I use it as a "spirited" daily driver. Always looking to improve things on the car and am just checking to see if any suspension mods are worth the $$ for the improved handling for my driving.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Yes. I use it as a "spirited" daily driver. Always looking to improve things on the car and am just checking to see if any suspension mods are worth the $$ for the improved handling for my driving.

That's cool bro. The Gt suspension must be crap for spirited driving if it needs improved handing for just really spirited driving.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Suspension mods are in my signature. I don't track or auto-cross the car but I do some very spirited driving. It is a great improvement over the stock suspension. I did give up a bit of ride quality (if you define ride quality as soft over the bumps) but it doesn't bother me at all.

I also have 255/40/19 in front and 285/35/19 in the back.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

I also like to do spirited driving..........as I call it canyon carving..........and with a modified suspension it certainly holds the road a lot better.
I don't have a list of my mod's....I lowered the Mustang with Sportlines, used my stock TrakPak struts/shocks....changed the LCA's to adjustable along with an adjustable UPC and changed the carrier bushing to poly....and adjustable pan hard bar, 1 piece aluminum drive shaft, transmission mount stiffener along with replacing the stock shifter support bushing with poly.......changed tires/wheels to the 2014 OE GT500 wheels and Goodyear F1 Supercar tires......265x40/19 front on with 19 by 9.5" wide wheels and the rear are 285x35/20's with 20" by 9.5" wide wheels. I am in the process of narrowing which coilovers I want to go with.............and yes the Mustang does ride a little rough but I don't mind because it's not my DD. The only thing I want now is an adjustable sway bar for the front and rear..............the front is on the way to me as we speak.
It is interesting that before I started working on the suspension the Mustang was hard put to take a 55mph corner at twice that..........now carves the corners much faster with all four feet on the ground...........it is fun....
Old 09-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
From a comparison standpoint, our Pro Action Shocks & Struts will have a better ride than the one mentioned above along with handling. The other brand tends to be a very firm ride.

How do we do this? The other brand is building shocks for thousands of vehicles. We are focusing on the Mustang & we are able to dial them into our specs.

We are trying to build the best possible performance shock for a Mustang. We can take the time to test and fine tune our Pro-Actions on the street and at the track, make changes, and re-test until we are thoroughly satisfied!

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks TJ. Appreciate the follow up and info.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT