Borla S type too quiet - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Borla S type too quiet

Hi everyone, I recently got some used Borla S type Axelbacks for my 5.0. They were originally off of a v6 and the guy had cut them off so I had to get them welded on. After doing a lot of research I was expecting the sound to much louder then what it is. It isn't loud at all, even redlining its not very loud. I would say its as quiet as the touring if not quieter. I seen touring mufflers and s types, and these are the S types for sure. Could I have gotten some messed up axelbacks? Does it matter that they were for a v6 and not a 5.0? Also, would the resonator delete make it louder or not?
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 06:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
The inlet piping is smaller on v6 axleback and not designed for a 5.0. It's going to be considerably more quiet because of that.

I hope you didn't pay much for them. Also, curious as to why you did that?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Borla S type too quiet

They are not designed for your car. Guess you had to learn that one the hard way. These are not like mufflers from back in the day. These are specifically designed to sound a certain way with a v6. Borla does a ridiculous amount of R&D to get the proper sound for each motor specifically. So yes, they will never sound as s-types should sound on your car. I'd take them off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1441453459.733649.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	190682  
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well I got them because I searched around and some did say they were compatible. They were the only used s types available so I got them. Didn't think there would be a difference inside the muffler. Oh well lol learn from mistakes.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #5
Kevin.Cook

If you ever go the 2-cylinder delete route, they might sound better
Old 09-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well I was going to delete the resonators today but Idk how much of a difference they will make, I don't want to waste more money. So I will just keep them on my car until I sell them. Surprisingly the car runs very nicely with them lol
Old 09-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Been there done that. They're quite not because they're for a v6 but because they are used and have excessive carbon build up in them. My S types are too damn quite atm, compared to how they were when I bought em.

Also, take off your v6 mufflers asap!! You're chocking your engine by restricting the exhaust flow out from a 2.25" pipe, instead of 2.75". I tried going the cheap way as well when I sold my 3.7 and bought a 5.0. No the 3.7 mufflers weren't quite compared the s types for the 5.0 that I have now. Rather, I found them to be a touch louder due to smaller pipes

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So you think cleaning with the mufflers will help with the sound? Also, I had a muffler shop weld the stock pipes that connect the stock muffler to the over axel pip. Since the mufflers were cut off originally from the owners car. So there isn't a smaller pipe, it is still a 2.75" pipe going from the over axel pipe to the muffler itself. And the car actually feels better then the stock mufflers, feels more open then more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Been there done that. They're quite not because they're for a v6 but because they are used and have excessive carbon build up in them. My S types are too damn quite atm, compared to how they were when I bought em.

Also, take off your v6 mufflers asap!! You're chocking your engine by restricting the exhaust flow out from a 2.25" pipe, instead of 2.75". I tried going the cheap way as well when I sold my 3.7 and bought a 5.0. No the 3.7 mufflers weren't quite compared the s types for the 5.0 that I have now. Rather, I found them to be a touch louder due to smaller pipes

Old 09-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure if you can internally clean these mufflers, depending if s types have sound absorption packaging in them. If that's the case then no. Also, im talking about the internal pipe on your mufflers (from inlet where your over axles pipes attach, to outlet where the tips come out of) is still 2.25" and hence the restriction to exhaust flow. It wouldn't have mattered much if s types were chambered mufflers.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Don't clean them, Don't take of the resonators! Remove the V6 exhaust from your V8 and do it right. I have Borla ATAK's and let me tell you they are bad @$$. Ive seen some used ATAK's on craigslist so you can still save money and do it right.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
Don't clean them, Don't take of the resonators! Remove the V6 exhaust from your V8 and do it right. I have Borla ATAK's and let me tell you they are bad @$$. Ive seen some used ATAK's on craigslist so you can still save money and do it right.

What is your set up with the borla ataks. Still deciding what route to go with mine before I put them on.

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
robbespz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:02 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I would just throw some roush's on there and call it a day, they sound incredible with no cats and even better with longtubes
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm tuned by Mike roush, AEM intake, Borla cat back X pipe, with resonator deletes and Borla ATAK mufflers. Here is a video https://youtu.be/kOf870EwDOE

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:27 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I have heard a lot of mixed stuff about the roushes which is why I haven't gotten them. Mainly the issue is the drone, a lot say there is but a lot say there isnt. But I'll be taking these mufflers off and getting new roushes I guess.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:50 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by visback View Post
I have heard a lot of mixed stuff about the roushes which is why I haven't gotten them. Mainly the issue is the drone, a lot say there is but a lot say there isnt. But I'll be taking these mufflers off and getting new roushes I guess.

There is almost no drone while cruising or driving highway speed. The exhaust is nice and loud under acceleration.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, I'm just going to pull the trigger on some new roushes and get these off my car. Thanks everyone for your help
Old 09-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think you will regret your decision.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I ordered them Saturday night! Dang labor day is causing a delay lol but yeah I can't wait for them to come. I'll be pairing them with either an off road h pipe or x pipe! But I have to go to work at 2am on the weekends so I'm sure my neighbors won't like me very much anymore haha
Old 09-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Id say try them on before doing the mid-pipe and if you do the mid-pipe go with the h-pipe it will sound better. The X will be very raspy.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Bud don't go off road with Roush, it be SUPER OBNOXIOUS loud. My friend has them just with a res delete, he's going back to stock; they scream! Not something you'd want at 2 in the morning. Try them just as for a few months, see how you like em

Old 09-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Bud don't go off road with Roush, it be SUPER OBNOXIOUS loud. My friend has them just with a res delete, he's going back to stock; they scream! Not something you'd want at 2 in the morning. Try them just as for a few months, see how you like em

I got 2 friends with offroad x and roushs, they sound amazing and they can be quiet when you want them to be, the sound isnt obnoxious its nice.
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrift View Post
I got 2 friends with offroad x and roushs, they sound amazing and they can be quiet when you want them to be, the sound isnt obnoxious its nice.

That's what I was gonna say.

Instagram: @v6beast
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:22 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Well I guess sound level is purely a personal choice, some like it raspy and loud (with a good tone or not), while others appreciate it more on the just about classy side. And rest are in the middle lol OP what side are you on?

Old 09-09-2015, 02:25 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I think i am more for the x pipe with the roushes haha. It sounds badass without being annoying on thatdudeinblue's smurf 5.0! Thats the video that is mostly pushing me to get an x pipe instead of H pipe.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I highly recommend the roush axle backs. They offer a nice blend of keeping it quiet when you need to and also allow you to wake up the neighborhood if you so desire.

Jdjake is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT