Best Extreme Performance summer tires for our Mustangs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

View Poll Results: Which is the best extreme performance summer tires?
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R 1 33.33%
Dunlop Direzza Zll 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Question Best Extreme Performance summer tires for our Mustangs?

On my stock Brembo wheels 19x9. I upgraded from the stock junk Pirellis 255/40R19, to:

1st. steep. I upgraded to 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport only at the rear, car felt great with this upgrade.
2nd. steep. F&R 275/40R19 Michelin Super Sport, Great handling! But increased a bit the grove follow on the road, the car still is able to be under control, just you need to be aware of this.

Now I want to experience Extreme Performance Summer Tires probably they will only be available in 275/35R19's. Which do you recommend based on your experience for DD and some track (curves) work?
-Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R
-Dunlop Direzza Zll
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
M3hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

you had an extreme performance tire in the Michelin PSS, what more are you expecting?

sent from my S6 using tapatalk
Old 09-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Look at the treadwear rating. The lower the number, the softer (and therfore stickier) the tire. You will also get many fewer miles out of a softer, stickier tire.
The Nitto high performance tire is run by lots of autocrossers here and sticks like glue. I think it's got a 180 TW rating --- one of the lowest I've seen.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Tire rack considers the MPSS as a max performance summer tire, below the extreme performance summer tires level
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have really enjoyed my Nitto Invo's tires, 285/50 19's in rear and 245/50 19's up front. Tires have had good traction on wet roads as well. Also quite and smooth. Expensive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Justin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Look at the treadwear rating. The lower the number, the softer (and therfore stickier) the tire. You will also get many fewer miles out of a softer, stickier tire.
The Nitto high performance tire is run by lots of autocrossers here and sticks like glue. I think it's got a 180 TW rating --- one of the lowest I've seen.
As an autocrosser, I can tell you that nobody has used a Nitto tire in a street class since the 2013 season when the border between street tires and race tires was raised to "200" treadwear. The Nitto was NEVER a nationally competitive tire, and if anyone was halfway decent in your region, also uncompetitive locally.

Last year, the Dunlop Direzza Z2 Star Spec was the tire to have in the street tire classes. However this is 2015, and the new tire to have is the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R. This tire is a cheater tire, it is 200 TW in label only, because it wears faster than my 40 TW Hoosiers do.

The biggest difference that you will notice between the Star Spec and the Potenza is in two categories: Max lateral grip, and preferred slip angle.

The max lateral grip is marginally better on the Bridgestones.

The amount of slip angle tolerated by the Bridgestones is larger than most street tires.

To understand why slip angle is important, you must first know what it is measuring. This is the angle of offset between car orientation and direction of travel. A tire which tolerates larger slip angle allows for earlier application of throttle in corners, and later braking zone transfer into pure cornering (trailbraking). A typical street tire will fall off in terms of lateral grip once you pass roughly 6 degrees of slip angle (give or take a few tenths). A DOT R Compound like my Hoosier will take up to about 12 degrees (with advanced treadwear though).

The RE-71R has been found to have a fall off point at roughly 9 degrees, making it basically a grooved R Compound. I have confirmed this number in two ASP Subaru STi's, an STU Subaru STi, an ASP Porsche 911, an STU Corvette, two STR Honda S2000's, an STS Miata, an SS Porsche Boxster S, an SS Porsche 911 GT3, an FS Boss 302, and an AS GT500.

If you want some testing info for a stock car, both Grassroots Motorsports and Tire Rack have done comparisons of this years fast street tires (RE-71R, Star Spec, Hankook RS3-V2, BFG Rival S, and the Kuhmo V720).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Sorry, I just thought the tread pattern looked cool. I drive the car less than a 1000 miles a months. I have never spun the tires. They are smoother riding than the Dunlop's I had on the car previously. When I am ready to do a track day I know now who to ask about tires. That was a great post thank for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Justin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
As an autocrosser, I can tell you that nobody has used a Nitto tire in a street class since the 2013 season when the border between street tires and race tires was raised to "200" treadwear. The Nitto was NEVER a nationally competitive tire, and if anyone was halfway decent in your region, also uncompetitive locally.

Last year, the Dunlop Direzza Z2 Star Spec was the tire to have in the street tire classes. However this is 2015, and the new tire to have is the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R. This tire is a cheater tire, it is 200 TW in label only, because it wears faster than my 40 TW Hoosiers do.

The biggest difference that you will notice between the Star Spec and the Potenza is in two categories: Max lateral grip, and preferred slip angle.

The max lateral grip is marginally better on the Bridgestones.

The amount of slip angle tolerated by the Bridgestones is larger than most street tires.

To understand why slip angle is important, you must first know what it is measuring. This is the angle of offset between car orientation and direction of travel. A tire which tolerates larger slip angle allows for earlier application of throttle in corners, and later braking zone transfer into pure cornering (trailbraking). A typical street tire will fall off in terms of lateral grip once you pass roughly 6 degrees of slip angle (give or take a few tenths). A DOT R Compound like my Hoosier will take up to about 12 degrees (with advanced treadwear though).

The RE-71R has been found to have a fall off point at roughly 9 degrees, making it basically a grooved R Compound. I have confirmed this number in two ASP Subaru STi's, an STU Subaru STi, an ASP Porsche 911, an STU Corvette, two STR Honda S2000's, an STS Miata, an SS Porsche Boxster S, an SS Porsche 911 GT3, an FS Boss 302, and an AS GT500.

If you want some testing info for a stock car, both Grassroots Motorsports and Tire Rack have done comparisons of this years fast street tires (RE-71R, Star Spec, Hankook RS3-V2, BFG Rival S, and the Kuhmo V720).
Thanks Jande063,
NICE EXPLANATION!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT