Correct trans oil for manual 5.0? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Correct trans oil for manual 5.0?

Good evening, which is the correct transmission fluid to use for 2013 manual trans 5.0?

Is it XT-M5-QS / WSD-M2C200-D (2nd printing owners manual)
or
XT-11-QDC / WSS-M2C200-D2 (3rd printing owners manual) ?

I am leaning towards Royal Purple 01512 XT-11-QDC and removing factory fluid, shifting is getting notchy, like metal on metal shifting, plus all the occasional grinding with stock shifter I used to do and the 1st owner undoubtedly did with stock shifter, time for fresh oil...
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Royal Purple is certainly a very good oil, but, if your car is still under warranty, I wouldn't change the oil. If something happens to your MT82, a dealership may blame the oil and won't cover transmission repairs.

My dealership blamed notchy 1st and 2nd gear shifts on my MGW shifter and wouldn't even look into it. However, they added the friction modifier after I mentioned the Ford tech bulletin.

It always depends on the dealership.

FRPP Quad Axleback 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler MMD Window Louvers SHR Fuel Door JLT Oil Sep.
NvrNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrNuf View Post
Royal Purple is certainly a very good oil, but, if your car is still under warranty, I wouldn't change the oil. If something happens to your MT82, a dealership may blame the oil and won't cover transmission repairs.

My dealership blamed notchy 1st and 2nd gear shifts on my MGW shifter and wouldn't even look into it. However, they added the friction modifier after I mentioned the Ford tech bulletin.

It always depends on the dealership.
I had the shifter/ bracket changed out not because I wanted to but because I had no choice. The stock shifter/bracket is by no means good quality, it is cheap quality causing mishifts, lockouts, grinding so really how could Ford blame a higher grade part for causing problems when they in fact built sloppy cheap quality causing problems to start with? I get how anything mass produced will have issues along the line, however, the stock shifter/bracket is awful and Ford probably won't cover to have it fixed so I fixed it myself.

There is always the "supposed" "risk" "they say" (Ford) of changing out the oil will cause "potential" problems so use "our product brand". I do realize how the transmission is sensitive to what oil is put in, it has to be meet their specs (as RP does). If ANY issues come along with using RP, I would simply drain and pump back in the old fluid but if it shifts like a hot knife through butter using RP then when at what stage would the transmission fail or have issues? Right after or 20k miles down the line? I will take my chance and lots of people use RP. How proprietary could their transmission be that it specifically must have their oil designed for it? I am sure Ford knows many many Mustang owners modify their car under warranty and gives them a good reason to dismiss repairs caused by modifications?
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You got a point. Maybe I should do the same thing. Switch to RP and change it back to stock should a warranty problem arise.

FRPP Quad Axleback 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler MMD Window Louvers SHR Fuel Door JLT Oil Sep.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You got a point. Maybe I should do the same thing. Switch to RP and change it back to stock should a warranty problem arise.
Are you being serious? I do consider your warning as well what Ford will tell me as well. Also, you have modified your vehicle beyond what I have could ever do so why is the transmission oil you are afraid to change lol?
Old 09-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well...I'm hoping that should there ever be an internal tranny problem (synchros?) they couldn't blame that on the shifter, but maybe the oil.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I never understood how a different brand oil is bad on trans when grinding will tear up the syncros with their stock shifter, just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You are 100% correct. But, as I said in my first post, it depends on the dealership and, knowing mine, they look for any reason you give them not to honor warranty issues. They just don't care. If it's not stock, you're out of luck. Sad, but true.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You are 100% correct. But, as I said in my first post, it depends on the dealership and, knowing mine, they look for any reason you give them not to honor warranty issues. They just don't care. If it's not stock, you're out of luck. Sad, but true.
Exactly. That's when you go to each dealership and tell them as little as possible. They ask is it stock, I say yes! I will just lie to them, why not? They are a car dealership, they get paid to lie and everyone at the car dealership seems like their stress levels are off the charts.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey, I'll let you know how the oil change works, changing this weekend for sure. May not do a damn thing but I need to see.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmustang01 View Post
Hey, I'll let you know how the oil change works, changing this weekend for sure. May not do a damn thing but I need to see.

I was literally looking into this myself. Rp seems to be the only thing that I can find for the MT-82, but does it also need the friction modifier or no?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I was literally looking into this myself. Rp seems to be the only thing that I can find for the MT-82, but does it also need the friction modifier or no?
I found this Mt-82 fluid swap to RP synchromax, do i need friction modifier? - Ford Mustang Forum

I think it has it.

People sure are terrified to change it, maybe they should be trans is expensive to fix but I need to see if it works better or not.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:00 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmustang01 View Post
I found this Mt-82 fluid swap to RP synchromax, do i need friction modifier? - Ford Mustang Forum

I think it has it.

People sure are terrified to change it, maybe they should be trans is expensive to fix but I need to see if it works better or not.

Thanks man
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT