Shop reccomendation PORTLAND OR - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-10-2015, 01:56 AM   #1

Region: Oregon
Shop reccomendation PORTLAND OR

I am looking for a shop to install coilovers and other suspension parts other than ford dealer. Any suggestions in Portland OR area?
Bbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Drive up to Seattle and go to Brads custom auto. They're the best that I know of around the PNW

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
jp1seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Brads are real busy, by good month and a half as of this moment. I'd give Bills Custom Auto in Marysville a call. They were suggested to me by Brads

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ps: you can install most suspension parts yourself over a weekend, all you need is a friend, impact wrench, torque wrench, axle jacks, and tool box. There are lot of videos out there to guide you step by step

Old 09-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

I've heard some good things said about Fast Specialties in Vancouver, WA.
If you want the best in the PNW The Mustang Shop in Kent, WA is by far the best...just a little drive from Beaverton.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Ps: you can install most suspension parts yourself over a weekend, all you need is a friend, impact wrench, torque wrench, axle jacks, and tool box. There are lot of videos out there to guide you step by step

That was the plan until the camber plates came up...I don't know anything about doing those properly
Old 09-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbowl View Post
That was the plan until the camber plates came up...I don't know anything about doing those properly
What suspension parts do you have.
Camber/caster plates usually come with the coilovers....who's coilovers are you using?
Old 09-10-2015, 01:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
What suspension parts do you have.
Camber/caster plates usually come with the coilovers....who's coilovers are you using?
I haven't ordered yet but looking at http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach-prostreet-coilover-1112.html
Old 09-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

^ this. Coilovers usually have camber plates attached on top. It be an easy drop in mod for ya. Even if you have to install separate camber plates, all you need is a spring compressor. These plates will simply sit on top of struts with a single bolt, and then another 4 bolts to the chassis. Take your car to an alignment shop after

Old 09-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
^ this. Coilovers usually have camber plates attached on top. It be an easy drop in mod for ya. Even if you have to install separate camber plates, all you need is a spring compressor. These plates will simply sit on top of struts with a single bolt, and then another 4 bolts to the chassis. Take your car to an alignment shop after

I tried to add a link to the eibach pro-street 4 coil over set on AM but it says a mod has to approve my post and it isn't showing up. They definitely do not come with camber stuff. I have no idea how to adjust the angles on them properly..

Does an alignment take care of that?
Old 09-10-2015, 03:31 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I tried to add a link to the eibach pro-street 4 coil over set on AM but it says a mod has to approve my post and it isn't showing up. They definitely do not come with camber stuff. I have no idea how to adjust the angles on them properly..

Does an alignment take care of that?
I can't find any information on installation for these..........I would suggest calling Eibach and asking them but I assume you have to use the stock strut mounts or caster/camber plates................it looks like they don't come with any strut mounting hardware.
You are going to adjust the caster/camber/toe just like you normally would....for a rough alignment I've used the iAlign app on my 5s phone and that would get you close enough to drive it to a lineup shop..........if you don't feel comfortable doing this on your own call one of the shops mentioned.........drop it off and pick it up when you are done.
What other suspension components are you going to replace during this process?
Old 09-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #12

Quote:
I can't find any information on installation for these..........I would suggest calling Eibach and asking them but I assume you have to use the stock strut mounts or caster/camber plates................it looks like they don't come with any strut mounting hardware.
You are going to adjust the caster/camber/toe just like you normally would....for a rough alignment I've used the iAlign app on my 5s phone and that would get you close enough to drive it to a lineup shop..........if you don't feel comfortable doing this on your own call one of the shops mentioned.........drop it off and pick it up when you are done.
What other suspension components are you going to replace during this process?
All those shops (except Vancouver) are several hours away. Can't exactly just go drop off. That's why I say Portland, not open to traveling for this.

I was told I'd need adj cambers with these coil overs and was going to do panhard too. I know that's easy enough but if I have the rest done by a shop might as well throw that in too.

I have found some install instructions for the coilovers and it doesn't seem too bad. I have never done any suspension work on my own though
Old 09-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
All those shops (except Vancouver) are several hours away. Can't exactly just go drop off. That's why I say Portland, not open to traveling for this.

I was told I'd need adj cambers with these coil overs and was going to do panhard too. I know that's easy enough but if I have the rest done by a shop might as well throw that in too.

I have found some install instructions for the coilovers and it doesn't seem too bad. I have never done any suspension work on my own though
I've been in California for over 15 years and just moved back to Oregon last year. In California I could direct you to at least 5 shops............here I'm just out of touch. Another place you may want to call is Blue Oval Performance in Vancouver, WA. I used to have a friend, Vernon Pitts that owned Affordable Performance in Vancouver..............it's been a longtime and have no idea where he is at...............he worked a lot of 97 Cobra.
There is another place I've heard of out by the Portland Airport....just don't remember their name.............maybe it will come to me.
As for doing it yourself, it's not that hard and even if you take it slow and easy you should have it done in 4/5 hours. It can be done on jack stands but doing it on a lift just makes it so much easier.
Let us know how we can help.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #14

Quote:
I've been in California for over 15 years and just moved back to Oregon last year. In California I could direct you to at least 5 shops............here I'm just out of touch. Another place you may want to call is Blue Oval Performance in Vancouver, WA. I used to have a friend, Vernon Pitts that owned Affordable Performance in Vancouver..............it's been a longtime and have no idea where he is at...............he worked a lot of 97 Cobra.
There is another place I've heard of out by the Portland Airport....just don't remember their name.............maybe it will come to me.
As for doing it yourself, it's not that hard and even if you take it slow and easy you should have it done in 4/5 hours. It can be done on jack stands but doing it on a lift just makes it so much easier.
Let us know how we can help.
I have 2 good jacks and 4 jack stands. Would have to make due with that. Well I am really leaning towards doing it myself again.

As far as proper camber adjustment, is that part of the alighnment id have done right after?
Old 09-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I have 2 good jacks and 4 jack stands. Would have to make due with that. Well I am really leaning towards doing it myself again.

As far as proper camber adjustment, is that part of the alighnment id have done right after?
That should be fine if you have 4 jack stands.
Yes, I would take it to a lineup shop that will work with your caster/camber plates (there are some smaller shops that won't touch anything other than stock suspension) and they will set the caster, camber and toe in to whatever specs you want. That is the reason I mentioned the iAlign App because you can check it yourself to make sure it's good enough to drive.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #16

Quote:
That should be fine if you have 4 jack stands.
Yes, I would take it to a lineup shop that will work with your caster/camber plates (there are some smaller shops that won't touch anything other than stock suspension) and they will set the caster, camber and toe in to whatever specs you want. That is the reason I mentioned the iAlign App because you can check it yourself to make sure it's good enough to drive.
Awesome. I think I have all tools I'm really leaning back towards doing it myself now. It was the camber stuff that scared me.

The app you're talking about, do you just kinda take a side view pic and it points out angles to you?? I'm using iphone6
Old 09-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Awesome. I think I have all tools I'm really leaning back towards doing it myself now. It was the camber stuff that scared me.

The app you're talking about, do you just kinda take a side view pic and it points out angles to you?? I'm using iphone6
You actually put it up against the wheel and get the angle..........the app walks you through what you need to do. It's pretty easy, and you just want to make sure you are within specs.......caster, both left and right at a minimum of +6.4 degrees to a maximum of +7.9 degrees....camber both left and right from -1.5 degrees to a +0.0 degrees....toe should be for both left and right at a minimum of +0.00" to +0.20". Those are the Ford Specs.......I've been running mine at +7.8 degrees caster and -1.2 degrees left camber and -1.6" right caster with +0.10" toe on both sides..............I've been running this way for over 6000 miles with no tire wear issues.................
Old 09-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Brads are real busy, by good month and a half as of this moment. I'd give Bills Custom Auto in Marysville a call. They were suggested to me by Brads

+1 on Bill's in Marysville
2013 Roush Stage 3 #13-0970, Roush Phase 3 675 HP upgrade. Dynotech 3 1/2 inch Aluminum Driveshaft, Stifflers Driveshaft Safety Loop, JLT Oil Separator, Track Package, X Brace Rear Seat Delete, Roush 20" Hyper Black Wheels, Roush trunk tool kit
Scotty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you want the best in the PNW The Mustang Shop in Kent, WA is by far the best...just a little drive from Beaverton.

Uh...yeah, no.

jp1seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

I have read a lot about engines goingboom from The Mustang Shop..
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:12 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1seattle View Post
Uh...yeah, no.

I'm going to get my transmission swapped for a stage 2 built unit from Ben Calimer. I considered going to The Mustang Shop as well, however, their review's are hot and cold!! Either 5 star or pure garbage. Not worth the risk, I'm getting it done at Bills Custom Auto instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I have read a lot about engines goingboom from The Mustang Shop..

Old 09-11-2015, 12:45 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm going to get my transmission swapped for a stage 2 built unit from Ben Calimer. I considered going to The Mustang Shop as well, however, their review's are hot and cold!! Either 5 star or pure garbage. Not worth the risk, I'm getting it done at Bills Custom Auto instead

I use either Bill in Marysville or Buff at Bickford Ford for all my performance work:

2013 Roush Stage 3 #13-0970, Roush Phase 3 675 HP upgrade. Dynotech 3 1/2 inch Aluminum Driveshaft, Stifflers Driveshaft Safety Loop, JLT Oil Separator, Track Package, X Brace Rear Seat Delete, Roush 20" Hyper Black Wheels, Roush trunk tool kit
Scotty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT