How important is the quality of a panhard bar? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
How important is the quality of a panhard bar?

So I lowered my car recently and purchased the SR panhard bar as everyone said I needed one. The panhard bar didn't seem all that important to me (I knew nothing about suspensions) so I just went with the cheapest option/AM's recommendation.

After installing it though, I noticed the SR panhard bar just looks and feels cheap/flimsy to me (especially the plastic shim looking components on each end).

On later review I noticed all the other panhard bars have bushings of some type and just look beefier. Further, I've read about cases of panhard bars breaking on people under heavy use.

Should I upgrade to a higher quality panhard bar (BMR for example)? Or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks,

-Ed

Note - my car is primarily a daily driver, but every so often I let it loose on some back country roads.
Edd2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Well you have found out that you get what you pay for. The panhard should be strong as you don't want your rear moving in any direction but what's intended and you would want to limit that as much as possible anyway. I haven't seen an SR panhard but even the most expensive panhard I've seen isn't more than a few bills. I would get rid of it if it feels and looks flimsy. Especially if people are saying they have had them break.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

BMR Adjustable with Poly Bushings is the way to go👌🏽 (If you daily)

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
robbespz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Very happy with my steeda bar and its about half the weight of the stock one.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
We appreciate the support ... it is a great piece!

You can read about our panhard bar here - Setting the Bar – Steeda’s Improved Panhard Bar | Steeda Blog

Steeda 2005-14 Mustang Street Adjustable Panhard Bar - Made in the USA 555-2551-A | Free Shipping!

Best Regards,

TJ

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Quote:
We appreciate the support ... it is a great piece!

You can read about our panhard bar here - Setting the Bar – Steeda’s Improved Panhard Bar | Steeda Blog

Steeda 2005-14 Mustang Street Adjustable Panhard Bar - Made in the USA 555-2551-A | Free Shipping!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
the stock one is surprisingly beefy. I just replaced the bushings with energy suspension ones for $25 and called that done. Believe me, if this part fails, it could easily kill you. The suspension has little to no lateral locating ability because it is a 3 link. It relies heavily on the panhard bar to laterally locate the rear end. PH breaks, the back of the car will become instantly extremely unstable and pitch you into the kitty litter.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Can't go wrong with Steeda. I went with J&M adj pan hard and UPR pan hard brace. Neither seemed flimsy to me and neither has given me any problems since install (~15k miles). Car is supercharged,DD and I'm not concerned with those parts failing.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have a Maximum Motorsports one for sale for $100 - it's brand new. Normally $160
KonaPony12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
How good is the RTR panhard?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
The amount of lateral/twisting force on the bar is quite substantial.......one of the reasons I would only use a pan hard bar that was made out of 4130 chrome moly tubing.........and not mild steel.
I had 3 different pan hard setups (these setups were all from major suspension players) on my 97 Cobra and at the time one design was bolted to a plate under the spare tire well in the trunk. The Mustang was used in the SSC 3 times and each time I had a different setup. Now this is a 4 link car which is different than our 3 link setups and does not rely on a pan hard for lateral location.............out of the three setups only one really worked well. The first setup I used I actually punched through the spare tire well because of the force exerted by the pan hard bar. I reinforced the spare tire well with steel plate and the next time out I bent the pan hard bar itself (of course it was aluminum) and after a long argument over the phone with the companies owner who told me he had never had that happen and I must have setup up the pan hard wrong.........I threw the complete system in the garbage. The second system just never worked and I also tossed it......finally ending up with a system that function as they said it would.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT