Hertz gt or a regular gt? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2015, 11:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Hertz gt or a regular gt?

Hey guys just wondering which one I should go for. I can get a base or even a premium gt with like 20k miles for 27 or 28k, maybe less. Or do I want a hertz penske gt with 24k miles for 31k? The price tag seems a little high so I might try to get them down a couple thousand.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
LivelyMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 12:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Unless they were giving me the hertz car free or half off I would not but it. It's still a rental no matter how rare or collectable they may claim it is. Go for the gt and haggle that price down.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Yeah those prices are crazy. I got a 14GT new for 27k. Also I wouldn't touch a rental.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Personally the prices you are quoting are a little high. Last year I bought my 2700 miles GT/TrakPak/Brembo brake/Recaro seats car for $25.5k although I got a deal on it. Here is a 12,000 mile car for an asking price of $27....and that's asking price............negotiation?????

Cars for Sale: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Coupe in Kennewick, WA 99336: Coupe Details - 403400669 - Autotrader

A 17,000 mile Brembo brake GT for $25.5k

Cars for Sale: 2013 Ford Mustang GT Coupe in Lynnwood, WA 98037: Coupe Details - 405950778 - Autotrader
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks guys yeah I'm planning on getting the price down on both. I just didn't know if the hype about the "limited edition" was worth it

Old 09-14-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
But that 27-28k with 20k miles price is pretty close to boosted category, if not already. Full bolt ons go for easy 25-26k on Facebook group all day everyday, and 30-31 for built engine boosted yotes

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Two questions.......how do you think those rental cars have been driven, and would they be willing to give you a 10 year, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for free?
There is no collector premium to be paid on a current model rental GT of any kind unless you can wait 50 years to collect it......and even then, it's a HUGE "maybe."
Don't confuse these cars with the Shelby GT350H from the mid 60's.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Two questions.......how do you think those rental cars have been driven, and would they be willing to give you a 10 year, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for free?

There is no collector premium to be paid on a current model rental GT of any kind unless you can wait 50 years to collect it......and even then, it's a HUGE "maybe."

Don't confuse these cars with the Shelby GT350H from the mid 60's.

Excellent point! I always thought why would I buy the GT H?

Old 09-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #9

Region: Indiana
My opinion is that you buy a car because you want to drive it, not for its future collectors value, because you never know what the future holds.
zipoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I really like how the hertz looks and it comes with leather seats and navigation, I'm just worried about how other people have treated it. I will probably have my mechanic look at it first

Old 09-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You also need to ask yourself do you want an automatic or manual. The Hertz only comes in an automatic I believe
camp70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The Hertz collectible ones might be ok if you were gonna keep low miles and never going to mod but doing either will just make it worth what all rest are anyway. Plus I dint know numbers so only mentioning... I know the 60's one and the one in late 2000's were limited but are the new ones?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Automatic doesn't bother me, and I would be using it in the summer as a semi daily driver to work which is only 6 miles. And yes sterling they only made 150 of these. As for molding I don't think I would change anything except window tinting and maybe a new grill

Old 09-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I would never ever ever buy a rental car.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Why not? Because you don't know or assume people have beaten it to hell? If I take it to a good mechanic, does it really matter?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivelyMustang View Post
Why not? Because you don't know or assume people have beaten it to hell? If I take it to a good mechanic, does it really matter?

Why not??? Really? Oh, I know enough about performance rental cars to know never too buy one. People dog and beat the living snot out of rental cars. Especially performance car rentals.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

So you say I should go with a premium gt? Lol I just like the upgrades the hertz has and I can't seem to find a gt near SE wisconsin with the recaro seats.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
I really like how the hertz looks and it comes with leather seats and navigation, I'm just worried about how other people have treated it. I will probably have my mechanic look at it first

Honestly that's a risk with any used car. If your really interested in it I would have your mechanic look it over and take it from there.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sure everyone who rents a performance rental certainly pays the little extra for full coverage solely so they can beat the piss out of it an not care. I know when I've rented a car (only a handful of times) I always get extra insurance and dog the snot out of it.

kona010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona010 View Post
I'm sure everyone who rents a performance rental certainly pays the little extra for full coverage solely so they can beat the piss out of it an not care. I know when I've rented a car (only a handful of times) I always get extra insurance and dog the snot out of it.

Bro, I had rented cars many years ago and beat the living day lights out of it. I mean, straight up dog the snot out of it.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

Quote:
So you say I should go with a premium gt? Lol I just like the upgrades the hertz has and I can't seem to find a gt near SE wisconsin with the recaro seats.

Yep, go for the non rental premium. Lol

Old 09-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I believe you man. Jeff foxworthy made a joke once that his grandma was the most cautious driver ever but put her in a rental car and she's doing donuts in the grocery parking lot. Haha don't quote me on that but it was along those lines.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona010 View Post
I believe you man. Jeff foxworthy made a joke once that his grandma was the most cautious driver ever but put her in a rental car and she's doing donuts in the grocery parking lot. Haha don't quote me on that but it was along those lines.

Ba ha ha ha ha.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #23
Supporter

Region: Texas
There was that time our VP of Operations put the secretary's rental on the roof of the building with the forklift... She liked him a bit less because of that, they are now married. That Civic almost died that day.
Bottom line, go for that non rental model as others have suggested. Iv'e even moved a rental car out of my drop off zone with the forklift. Don't park in front of my shipping bay!
Old 09-14-2015, 09:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Hey guys just wondering which one I should go for. I can get a base or even a premium gt with like 20k miles for 27 or 28k, maybe less. Or do I want a hertz penske gt with 24k miles for 31k? The price tag seems a little high so I might try to get them down a couple thousand.

Any suggestions?

My man I myself wouldn't think twice about buying a penske GT unless you plan on spending some extra cash on unexpected problems. I've read that those cars ( since they were rentals ) were often used for track purposes then taken back. If this was really what people were doing with them then they were subject to a lot of abuse.
stangnat1on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Alright i guess I'm going with the regular gt premium. Thanks for talking me off the edge guys!

Old 09-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright i guess I'm going with the regular gt premium. Thanks for talking me off the edge guys!

By all means man none of us were being rude or anything just trying to clearly state that a rental of any kind is going to be rode hard and put away wet.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #27
Supporter

Quote:

Just trying to help ya' out! Better we scare you from it then you buy it and run into any issues. Your choice though!

Old 09-14-2015, 10:36 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

No I'm glad you guys said all this! I was kind of stuck in tunnel vision with the hertz. I didn't take any of it as rude. I posted in here to get some honest options and I'm glad I did!

Thanks guys

Old 09-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No I'm glad you guys said all this! I was kind of stuck in tunnel vision with the hertz. I didn't take any of it as rude. I posted in here to get some honest options and I'm glad I did!

Thanks guys

Good choice to stay away from the Hertz. 👍

Old 09-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
My friend had a maxima rental when his 370z was getting worked on. We tried everything to make that car squeal and tried to think of what we could do to it for fun just because it wasn't his car. And that's a plain car..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

You would pay an extra $3k - $4k for navigation and (ordinary) leather seats?

Id rather have a brand new one..
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:07 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I would never ever touch a rental car. If you go to re sell that car, the buyer will see that it was a rental when they check the VIN and then immediately lose all interest.
Plus its probably automatic-- Are you a drag racer tho?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

The bottom line on buying a rental car is this. Its a crap shoot on its future liability. In my humble opinion there is a higher percentage chance that a rental performance vehicle has been abused from the people who rent them. Now, I don't have 100% proof that every renter abuses the car. I don't have any factual numbers to show what percentage of renters abuse the cars. So I am formulating this opinion solely based on my gut feeling. What I know about human beings and how many (not all) treat property that does not belong to them or a loved one.

I personally would not purchase a rental car especially a performance vehicle because I would not take a chance on the cars longevity and it not being dogged and beaten down by the renters.

Do people get great cars when buying from a rental company? They sure do! I'm sure many will last 200k plus miles but the real question is. Will you? Or did you pick a good looking pony that had its teeth kicked in, ridden like a stripper working a pole.

Its all a gamble. Now a used pony by one private seller can also be beaten and dogged as well. I'm not blind to that but feel a rental car that has hundreds maybe even thousands of people over its rental lifetime , will net some serious abuse.

The car may not show any signs of abuse when you first buy it or even a few years later; but how about when the car is 8 years old? Or 10 years old? Did you need to replace the entire transmission because ithe renters dogged the f out of the automatic transmission? just saying.

So, in the end buyers be careful when buying used but especially when buying rental car used. Good luck to the OP and hope you find what your looking for!

On a side note, This post is not to insult or attack the OP but offering another side to his question.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:40 PM   #34
Supporter

Dead horse thread now... lol
Old 09-18-2015, 12:06 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Shop around on those prices. Use car gurus dot com. I got my 14 Base GT 9 months ago with 12k miles for $25k from a large multi brand car dealer. You plug in the car parameters you prefer and distance you're willing to travel.
It's really pretty simple compared to auto trader. I wanted a black GT, manual, premium or base as long as it had Sync and 2011 or newer. Bam! I got a list from car gurus and it even says if it's a good, fair or poor asking price.
Here's a sample within 100 miles of you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	191289  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT