Oil change question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #1

Oil change question

Probably a dumb question..but is there a reason for that cage underneath the oil filter? Seems to me the only thing it does is spread oil during a filter change. 13 GT by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
walcker13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by walcker13GT View Post
Probably a dumb question..but is there a reason for that cage underneath the oil filter? Seems to me the only thing it does is spread oil during a filter change. 13 GT by the way

Its purpose is to piss us off. Ha ha ha. I hate that cage. 😈

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Just did mine today. I used to try to unscrew it while holding it encased in a plastic grocery bag but that always ended up messy too.
Tried something new today and worked good. Unscrew filter just a turn or two with the drain pan underneath. Oil starts leaking out but runs right down the side of the filter at a angle and into the pan. Some still gets on the metal bar but not bad and wipes off easy enough.
After it drains for a minute or so from the filter then it unscrews without a big mess.
I have to also bend that plastic underbelly flap all the way back further than its probably supposed to swing and kind of hold it in the position using the already full oil drain pan.
Oh...and I finally learned to just hand tighten my FL500s filter and not be paranoid it will leak. Makes removing it soooo much easier.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
^told you that filter didn't need to be hulked in there
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #5

Haha! Thanks waylap. I'll have to give that technique a try next time

Old 09-16-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Had my oil changed for the second time yesterday.......no muss/no fuss.......bought the 5/50w and filter at my friendly parts counter.......took it next door to the service center.....they changed the oil for $18. I just stood there and watched, then they let me drive it to the detail department and they washed it by hand....doesn't get any better than that......IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Had my oil changed for the second time yesterday.......no muss/no fuss.......bought the 5/50w and filter at my friendly parts counter.......took it next door to the service center.....they changed the oil for $18. I just stood there and watched, then they let me drive it to the detail department and they washed it by hand....doesn't get any better than that......IMHO
Oh good grief. You let the dealership wash your car? Oh, Heck no! That's the quickest way to get more swirl marks from those clown car washers.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Oh good grief. You let the dealership wash your car? Oh, Heck no! That's the quickest way to get more swirl marks from those clown car washers.

You guys are so paranoid about dealerships I can't believe it........the head of the detail shop just bought a new 15 Mustang.........and I was there the whole time watching.........they washed the car just like I would have with three different mitts and three different wash buckets. At least they have city water and I have to use well water.........
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
im in a similar boat. every time i pull my oil filter off, it drips all over the steering rack and k member. the solution for that is to jam a funnel under it so that it all drains through the center.

picture is actually a 94 mark vii, but closest i could find without going outside and taking a picture.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #10
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Just had my dealer do mine the other day. They offered a free wash but I declined.
The owner of the company I work for has car wash guys come out every Wednesday, they do NO touch my car! Horrid drivers, plus they don't know how to drive a manual... They don't clean worth a darn either.

My city water sucks. Etches itself into the paint no matter what.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:18 PM   #11

I don't see it in the picture, but a funnel is a good idea

Old 09-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Oil changes are infrequent enough that it's no problem better preparing for it and doing a bit more cleanup, IMO

Piloting a '13 GT with track, frpp handling, glass, mgw, bmr and sct
hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
im in a similar boat. every time i pull my oil filter off, it drips all over the steering rack and k member. the solution for that is to jam a funnel under it so that it all drains through the center.

picture is actually a 94 mark vii, but closest i could find without going outside and taking a picture.
Sweet idea about the funnel! K brace.....that's the metal bar I was trying to describe that always gets soaked in oil right under the filter.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Great idea about the funnel. Why didn't I think of that. Lol. Thanks

Old 09-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Idk about any of the newer models, but for the 99-04 4.6, I use a basic Grey 75 cent plastic short funnel from either advance autoparts or Walmart. It's maybe 5 inches wide. They also make these bendable plastic "sheets" that you can fold into a little canal to funnel the oil where you need. Wish I bought one when I saw it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

This is the flexible funnel. It's like 10 bucks. But seems convenient. Still, the 75 cent one at Walmart has always worked just fine for me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT