MMD ductail or GT500 wing? - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I need to have the 4 mounting holes utilized, had issues with mmd ducktail lifting up in the front corners. Installed it 3 times. Returned it. Most people might not be bothered by it but I'm very OCD with my mustang. The only ducktail I've found to use all 4 holes that I like is the OEM gt500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SYMBOLISM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

I used the grey 3m tape. Black 3m tape. And the one that came on the spoiler. Let me say the black tape is no joke. I pulled a muscle in my back trying to get that spoiler off of there.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

i got the 3dcarbon GT500 "style" (a little bigger than the real thing), love it

d1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2015, 10:42 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Looks good

Old 12-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

So I just ordered the oem Shelby gt500 spoiler from American muscle. The one that bolts up with the 4 existing holes instead of 2 holes or drilling other holes on the ends of the trunk.

My question is has anyone mounting these using just the bolts without tape? Could I stick some single sided foam tape on the spoiler instead? So it doesn't rattle or vibrate around. Reason is, because there wasn't an option for it to be painted and I wanna run it unpainted (black) for a bit and see if I like it or wanna get it painted.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

How does water stay out of the screws and nuts. Will they rust?

Old 12-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

MMD ductail or GT500 wing?

They sell rubber washers at ace hardware. What if I place those on the trunk around each hole. Then take off all 3m tape and use similar rubber with the same thickness on all four corners. This way the spoiler can be removed easily. And it will sit off the trunk about 1mm just like it would with the tape

Old 12-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Or do something like this all the way around the border of the spoiler.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/311450007324

Will this stuff hold up?

Old 12-23-2015, 11:06 PM   #114
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Running it without the double sided tape and just a foam will no doubt allow the spoiler to vibrate/move around (yes even with the bolts) as you drive and scratch the ever living hell out of your decklid. If you just wanted to see it mounted, no biggie.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:47 PM   #115
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
When I bought the OEM spoiler from Ford it already had the double stick tape...the kind they use at the factory.......on the spoiler except that one side had red tape so it protected the paint from scratching when you bolted it down. The OEM spoiler also came with rubberized nut washers so that when you bolted it down they filled the holes. If the spoiler is an OEM one you should get all of this in the box.
Although I did put it on for a day or so and drove it around it wasn't totally tight because you can't torque the nuts down hard enough.....or they would break the spoiler. Just paint it and put it on.........you'll like it and it will be on to stay.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
When I bought the OEM spoiler from Ford it already had the double stick tape...the kind they use at the factory.......on the spoiler except that one side had red tape so it protected the paint from scratching when you bolted it down. The OEM spoiler also came with rubberized nut washers so that when you bolted it down they filled the holes. If the spoiler is an OEM one you should get all of this in the box.

Although I did put it on for a day or so and drove it around it wasn't totally tight because you can't torque the nuts down hard enough.....or they would break the spoiler. Just paint it and put it on.........you'll like it and it will be on to stay.

Yeah it's the oem one. So I see the double sided tape is necessary to keep it secured even with 4 bolts. I was curious because I don't have the extra money to get it painted right away and was gonna run it black for awhile and see how it looked without paint. I guess I will mount it black or wait until I can afford to get it painted and mount it then. I'm just so sick of dealing with the 3m tape. I installed and removed the MMD ducktail 3 times. Kept lifting in the front corners. Thanks for info guys

Old 12-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I lucked out, some guy on eBay was selling two mmd duck tails painted black for my black 11 and wanted $200 each so I offerd 110 and he took the offer. It was unused and looks beautiful. I'm so happy with the way it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:20 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
I lucked out, some guy on eBay was selling two mmd duck tails painted black for my black 11 and wanted $200 each so I offerd 110 and he took the offer. It was unused and looks beautiful. I'm so happy with the way it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Damn good steal. I check eBay regularly for "2005 mustang torch red" I've seen some good deals
Old 01-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hey I got a question for you. When u got your oem spoiler was it bare black abs plastic? Or was is it abs plastic that was sprayed with primer black?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #120
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMBOLISM View Post
Hey I got a question for you. When u got your oem spoiler was it bare black abs plastic? Or was is it abs plastic that was sprayed with primer black?
I am assuming the OE part you received was marked AR3Z-6344210-BB and comes as a kit....with instructions marked SKAR3J-6344230-AB, spoiler, Gurney Flap, 3M tape, and a full size template for drilling holes if the car never came with a spoiler...it also came with new sealing nuts. The OE spoiler came with a gray primed...the separate Gurney Flap that is factory black material and kind of snapped into the spoiler but also had 3M tape..
I have bought 2 of these from Ford, one for myself and one for a friend and both were in gray primer.
Just to be clear, when I lightly prep'd the spoiler underneath the gray primer the material was not black.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #121
Registered Member

Regular

SPOILER, SHELBY LIP - PRIMED WITH GURNEY FLAP | Genuine Ford | AR3Z-6344210-BB

I actually paid $240 but didn't pay any freight as it came with other Ford parts and was shipped from Sacramento, CA.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

No sorry I thought u had a 2005-2009 for some reason. that's not the one. I have an 05. Here is the one I ordered. Check out the last couple pics. It doesn't mention anything about being primed. I hope it's not primed and just black abs. My factory GT spoiler is black abs under the red paint and grey primer. What do you think?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-g...iler-0509.html
Old 01-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

I wanted it to be bare black abs like the bumper inserts and side mirrors. Then I was gonna get a bare black abs chin spoiler as well. Might look good. Or at least I talked myself into to thinking it would look good since I can't afford paint lol.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Damn I think it's gonna be primed
Old 01-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #125
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I wanted it to be bare black abs like the bumper inserts and side mirrors. Then I was gonna get a bare black abs chin spoiler as well. Might look good. Or at least I talked myself into to thinking it would look good since I can't afford paint lol.

Paint shouldn't cost you a ton man. 100 bucks tops. Just save up an extra few bucks here and there until you can do it right. You will be glad you did. No one is going to get excited about seeing your car with an unpainted spoiler on it.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

I may just send it out to my dad in Michigan to paint for me.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #127
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
No sorry I thought u had a 2005-2009 for some reason. that's not the one. I have an 05. Here is the one I ordered. Check out the last couple pics. It doesn't mention anything about being primed. I hope it's not primed and just black abs. My factory GT spoiler is black abs under the red paint and grey primer. What do you think?

Ford Racing Shelby GT500 Mustang Rear Spoiler - Unpainted M-16600-SVTC (05-09 All) - Free Shipping
No, I did have a 14 TrakPak...the red one....now I just have the 03 Cobra.
For the earlier spoilers I have no idea but assume they come primed as I've never seen anything from Ford bare.

SPOILER - SHELBY STYLE PRIMED for 2007 Ford Mustang|7R3Z-6344210-BA
Old 01-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #128
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Ford Racing Shelby GT500 Mustang Rear Spoiler - Unpainted M-16600-SVTC (05-09 All) - Free Shipping
If it is primed you can easily take the primer off with paint remover....then use a plastic polish to bring the shin out or just leave it dull. Very easy to fix if you don't have the money right now.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If it is primed you can easily take the primer off with paint remover....then use a plastic polish to bring the shin out or just leave it dull. Very easy to fix if you don't have the money right now.

I may do that, not sure yet. Depends on if my dad has his paint stuff up and running. Will the paint thinner hurt the abs?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #130
Registered Member

Regular

I had mine painted for $125 and they had my car there to match the paint.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:41 AM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had mine painted for $125 and they had my car there to match the paint.

That's not a bad price at all.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #132
Registered Member

Regular

Dude shipping is going to cost you half of what it will cost for someone to paint it. And if you remove the primer, when you do decide to get it painted it will require more prep and that in turn costs you more money. Just leave it off until you can get it painted correctly.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Dude shipping is going to cost you half of what it will cost for someone to paint it. And if you remove the primer, when you do decide to get it painted it will require more prep and that in turn costs you more money. Just leave it off until you can get it painted correctly.
I agree with this.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Okay you guys convinced me to get some quotes. I just have this funny feeling it's gonna be 200+ everything is expensive out here in California. Maybe I'll call a shop out in the country
Old 01-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Just another thought love my spoiler. Plus you don't see to many of them around. Picture taken prior to the quads being installed.

i believe you can get them prepainted from AM.....
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Now to me that looks tough!
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
Old 01-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post

Now to me that looks tough!

Looking good. There was not an option to get this one painted from AM. It's a ford OEM spoiler, maybe that's why. I don't know
Old 01-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

GT/CS (California Special) Mustang Spoiler - Pre-painted (10-14 All) (10-14 All) - Free Shipping

I think this is the same and painted.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #139
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post

It's not OEM. And they paint the whole thing where a stock one has black on the underside.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
It's not OEM. And they paint the whole thing where a stock one has black on the underside.
Oh - ok. Yeah both of ours are black plastic really on the underside. Same stuff they trim the side mirrors with too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT