MMD ductail or GT500 wing? - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #141
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I also have an 05
SYMBOLISM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #142
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just get one from AM painted for 299?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #143
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvibe92 View Post
Just get one from AM painted for 299?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

The oem Shelby spoiler doesn't have an option for pre paint. It is 224 unpainted and is a oem from ford.

I did just get an email back from AM stating its bare black abs and is NOT primered. Which is good for me so I will now run it black until I get enough money saved up for paint and prime and now prep too. I think it might look good since it's just plastic like the mirros and bumper molding. Lots of guys run black chin spoilers and rear spoilers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #144
Registered Member
Regular

MMD ductail or GT500 wing?

I received the spoiler today. It IS primered. Quality is amazing though. Dark grey primer, can't run a dark grey spoiler. Cheapest place I have got s quote is 250 most expensive is 500. I guess I'll start saving up. Who wants to buy a torch red GT spoiler lol?
Old 01-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #145
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Dude 250 is a rip off.

I used to work at a body shop. It literally takes 5 min to prep this part in its current state and maybe 50-75 in paint and supplies.

Go to a shop and talk to a painter. See if they will do it as a side job straight cash. Or if you are not in a hurry you ask them if they are painting anything your paint code already if you can throw it in the mix. Then the cost to them is literally nothing.

I had a GT500 spoiler for my 14 painted for 75 bucks. Little shop, straight cash. Guy painted it with other parts that were the same color.

There is no way this should cost a penny more than 125-150. Seriously. They are taking advantage of you.

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year 😬👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #146
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Dude 250 is a rip off.

I used to work at a body shop. It literally takes 5 min to prep this part in its current state and maybe 50-75 in paint and supplies.

Go to a shop and talk to a painter. See if they will do it as a side job straight cash. Or if you are not in a hurry you ask them if they are painting anything your paint code already if you can throw it in the mix. Then the cost to them is literally nothing.

I had a GT500 spoiler for my 14 painted for 75 bucks. Little shop, straight cash. Guy painted it with other parts that were the same color.

There is no way this should cost a penny more than 125-150. Seriously. They are taking advantage of you.

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year 🏻

I agree. I will do that. I refuse to pay over 150.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #147
Registered Member
Regular

If anyone reads this and wants to do a spray job on the side. I will drive anywhere in the Bay Area, Sacramento area and give you 100 bucks. I'll even help out if needed
Old 01-07-2016, 06:16 AM   #148
Registered Member
Regular

Pics of the spoiler if anyone was wanting to check it out. Fits 2005-2009 GTs with all 4 stock spoiler holes.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:35 AM   #149
Registered Member
Regular

I'm thinking about getting this vinyl wrapped in flat black instead of paint. Anyone familiar with this? These places like vinyl wrap entire cars for like 500 bucks. Then I could always take it off later. I'd image it's similar to the vinyl brows people put on the windshields. I've done a few of those in my teenage days. Any thoughts?
Old 01-11-2016, 03:37 AM   #150
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just trying to figure out how they do the tips of the spoiler without having a seam?
Old 01-11-2016, 03:42 AM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

Then I may get my hood wrapped to match
Old 01-11-2016, 04:04 AM   #152

Region: Europe
I would contact a shop that does vinyl wrapping and ask if they could wrap it. If the shop is close enough, take the spoiler to them so they can have a look at it and see if a good quality job can be done on it. If not...have it painted, but don't get taken advantage of like previous posts stated lol.
otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:07 AM   #153
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otters View Post
I would contact a shop that does vinyl wrapping and ask if they could wrap it. If the shop is close enough, take the spoiler to them so they can have a look at it and see if a good quality job can be done on it. If not...have it painted, but don't get taken advantage of like previous posts stated lol.

No I don't ever get taken advantage of. I just want to ask them how they are going to wrap the corners and if any visible cuts or seams will be seen. I don't see how it's possible on the ends since it needs to go over and under on a corner.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:00 AM   #154
Registered Member
Regular

Found a fair price for paint. $125. Prep and paint. Flex additive included. Should be done tomorrow
Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 AM   #155
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
That's good you looked around I had my vents sprayed black for 50 bucks 250 on a spoiler would be rediculous
Montini23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #156
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah for sure. I actually got quoted 500 at one place, and it's already primed. A while ago I got quoted 850 to install coil lowering springs.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:06 AM   #157
Registered Member
Regular

What would you do if your spoiler came back looking like this on the underside?

I specifically said please mask off the 3m tape and stud grommets. They painted over the grommets first of all. So I had to peel those off. Mad cause u wanted the factory ford seals. Hence why I bought oem spoiler. Then they took off the 3m backing and stuck masking tape to the 3m tape. Sticky sides together. Then baked it. The masking tape was stuck on and the 3m tape was baked on the spoiler. I had to take it back to gave the remove the tape. I specifically said please don't gouge up or scratch up my spoiler getting that off. I know it's the underside and I'm a bit OCD but what should I do. Make them buy and paint me another one? Ask for my money back. Was it my fault for leaving the 3m and grommets on there? Fords fault for sticking them on an unpainted spoiler in the first place? Please advise what I should do. I love how the spoiler looks on my car but can't get over what the underside looks like and it really bothers me. I had to use aftermarket RV weather stripping foam that I punched holes in for the studs. Will it leak? I don't know. That's why i wanted fords factory seal.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #158
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Back to the discussion

I think the ducktail looks right on some colors with certain appearance options. Hopefully my photo attachment works and you can see it on my 13 GT in ingot silver. I'll be adding an MRT rear louver set to it and with the glass roof (sort of black), I think this setup will look better than the GT500 tail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear1.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	195851   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2260 (1).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	195852  

hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #159
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMBOLISM View Post
What would you do if your spoiler came back looking like this on the underside?

I specifically said please mask off the 3m tape and stud grommets. They painted over the grommets first of all. So I had to peel those off. Mad cause u wanted the factory ford seals. Hence why I bought oem spoiler. Then they took off the 3m backing and stuck masking tape to the 3m tape. Sticky sides together. Then baked it. The masking tape was stuck on and the 3m tape was baked on the spoiler. I had to take it back to gave the remove the tape. I specifically said please don't gouge up or scratch up my spoiler getting that off. I know it's the underside and I'm a bit OCD but what should I do. Make them buy and paint me another one? Ask for my money back. Was it my fault for leaving the 3m and grommets on there? Fords fault for sticking them on an unpainted spoiler in the first place? Please advise what I should do. I love how the spoiler looks on my car but can't get over what the underside looks like and it really bothers me. I had to use aftermarket RV weather stripping foam that I punched holes in for the studs. Will it leak? I don't know. That's why i wanted fords factory seal.

No spoiler looks good on the underside. If you wanted that you would pay much more. I don't know why they wouldn't have just masked the foam pieces and left the 3m tape. I've seen prepainted parts done this way and it didn't effect anything. I will say my Roush spoiler came without the tape/foam installed. I think you need to just forget about what it looks like on the underside and enjoy the fact that it's painted. If you complain about this I would imagine they will laugh you right out of the shop.

Let's see some pics of it installed 👍🏻

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year 😬👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #160
Registered Member
Regular

I'll get over it.

I've been driving in the rain on the highway to work for the past 3 days and nothing's leaking and it's staying on so I guess I'm satisfied
Old 01-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #161
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I think your car looks great and the spoiler makes it look even better...IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #162
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I think your car looks great and the spoiler makes it look even better...IMHO

Thanks buddy
Old 01-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #163
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #164
Registered Member
Regular

So randomly I was able to pick up an MMD carbon fiber wing here this week and low and behold today when popping the trunk my GT500 wing was split. The car has sat for about 2 weeks since its snowed a bit. Glad I got another wing on a whim haha. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1454455154.074742.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	196553

2011 Kona Blue Gt

IG - The_Chech

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #165
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
So randomly I was able to pick up an MMD carbon fiber wing here this week and low and behold today when popping the trunk my GT500 wing was split. The car has sat for about 2 weeks since its snowed a bit. Glad I got another wing on a whim haha. Attachment 196553

2011 Kona Blue Gt

IG - The_Chech

Was that aftermarket? I've never seen abs split like that. Must not have been abs
Old 02-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #166
Registered Member
Regular

It was aftermarket. The only thing I could think of was water and ice got between the wing and body and froze extremely fast or some thing. Almost cracked completely through.

2011 Kona Blue Gt

IG - The_Chech

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT