Which Catch Can is Best? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Which Catch Can is Best?

so many different designs and improvements.

JLT, Bob's, Moroso, UPR, Brand X....

Which one is most efficient and EASIEST TO SERVICE ?

Thanks for your valuable input

RWSRWS
2013 GT Premium (auto) Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe & heat extractors, redline armrests, Silverhorse windows Polk/Infinity speakers, Dynamat GT500A-bcks 1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Factory Supercharged still own1938 Studebaker President still own 1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold - owned since age 11
RWSRWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
Supporter

Region: Texas
I will be replacing my JLT (passenger side) for either a Bobs or UPR can. I don't want to be rude by any means but here is decent thread that could of probably been found by a search/go back a few pages....

Catch can questions.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I run a bob's with no issues.
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

From what I've read it sounds like the BOB'S is the best.

I really like the idea of a bottom drain, and not having to disassemble the unit to check it.

Quick, clean and easy as I see it.

I am between the BOB'S and the Moroso, and would like to order one TODAY.

RWSRWS
2013 GT Premium (auto) Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe & heat extractors, redline armrests, Silverhorse windows Polk/Infinity speakers, Dynamat GT500A-bcks 1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Factory Supercharged still own1938 Studebaker President still own 1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold - owned since age 11
Old 09-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I run a Bob's, very high quality and does the job well

sent from my S6 using tapatalk
Old 09-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Upr's seem to be pretty good also right up there with bobs for the reviews

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
SSTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Is the firewall mount easier to drain?

RWSRWS
Old 09-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Probably I have to use a small cup and squeeze it in there with my bobs, also if you get the non firewall and its not towards the fender all the way the drain fitting will rub your ac line

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1443108489493.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	191462  
SSTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I highly enjoy my MOROSO

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1443109907.379015.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	191463
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Is that the Moroso mounting bracket, as pictured?

Looks like a simple install and easy draining process, yes?

RWSRWS
Old 09-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSRWS View Post
Is that the Moroso mounting bracket, as pictured?

Looks like a simple install and easy draining process, yes?

RWSRWS

Yes that is the bracket. I color match painted mine. It comes raw stainless otherwise. I just wanted to be different.

The draining is very easy. I have a hose I connect, travels under the car to a pan, turn the valve and in about 2 min it's drained and on to other things.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #12
Supporter

I like that Moroso design as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I use the JLT because it fits right, and opening the container is a snap to drain. Is it the best? I guess not but it traps oil.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I've heard that using an F150 Ecoboost PCV valve eliminates the need for a catch can. Think I am going to try it.
Byock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #15
Supporter

Which Catch Can is Best?

I've heard about the PCV Valve as well as breathers. I like the can at the end of the day... Lol

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-boss-manifold
Old 09-25-2015, 02:48 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
The guy in this short funny video is a long time Mustang dude, makes some videos that are hilarious and opinionated and sometimes offend people. But I kinda like his enthusiasm and some of his Mustang theories.
I've never seen him promote a product in particular. In this video he talks about and installs a UPR catch can and promotes it in a slapstick comedy style of not promoting it. He shows the insides of the can and slaps it on in like two seconds and the can actually does look like it's built right and is going to do what it is supposed to do.
I'd consider this can myself just after watching how fast it went on, the quality it seems to have and also....because this **hole actually prompted it sort of and that surprised about him.

Just remember though, "Best catch can" threads are just like "Best Oill" "Best CAI" "Best tire" etc threads and everyone has an opinion and reasons backing it so in the end, you will still be confused and pick what you think is best anyway.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:44 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Just remember though, "Best catch can" threads are just like "Best Oill" "Best CAI" "Best tire" etc threads and everyone has an opinion and reasons backing it so in the end, you will still be confused and pick what you think is best anyway.
Best statement I've seen in a long time to describe an opinion type thread.

Good to see that these topics can be discussed a civil matter here.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:48 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I like the idea, but am uncomfortable changing the PCV valve from the one speced for the Coyote 5.0 liter to the Ecoboost. There is a SOLID ENGINEERING reason for the valve specified to be used, and aside from the oil vapor ingestion issue, changing that valve to a different specification may well have other unintended consequences.

The UPR and JLT simply hang there, suspended off the hose. Plastic fittings? That would be fine, but now you have added the suspended weight of that billet aluminum to the hose. On top of that every time you get in there to remove the collection cup you will be twisting/torqueing those plastic fittings.

Sounds like some folks have had problems with O rings with the twist off versions.

I like the bottom drain style and the mounting bracket on the BOBS and MOROSO.

It appears that the BOBS is best mounted on the firewall, resulting in lots of additional hoses (not an issue) but the drain is now on the other side of the battery.

The MOROSO has a custom bracket that allows it to be mounted just forward of the strut tower, providing easier access. An additional plus is the curved drain tube, which appears to make the draining process easier and cleaner.

SURVEY SAYS: MOROSO

Thanks to all for providing all this good information !

RWSRWS
Old 09-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I like the idea, but am uncomfortable changing the PCV valve from the one speced for the Coyote 5.0 liter to the Ecoboost. There is a SOLID ENGINEERING reason for the valve specified to be used, and aside from the oil vapor ingestion issue, changing that valve to a different specification may well have other unintended consequences.

The UPR and JLT simply hang there, suspended off the hose. Plastic fittings? That would be fine, but now you have added the suspended weight of that billet aluminum to the hose. On top of that every time you get in there to remove the collection cup you will be twisting/torqueing those plastic fittings.

Sounds like some folks have had problems with O rings with the twist off versions.

I like the bottom drain style and the mounting bracket on the BOBS and MOROSO.

It appears that the BOBS is best mounted on the firewall, resulting in lots of additional hoses (not an issue) but the drain is now on the other side of the battery.

The MOROSO has a custom bracket that allows it to be mounted just forward of the strut tower, providing easier access. An additional plus is the curved drain tube, which appears to make the draining process easier and cleaner.

SURVEY SAYS: MOROSO

Thanks to all for providing all this good information !

RWSRWS
Did they engineered the engine tick also? I installed the ecoboost pcv valve, no issues.
NoTop5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

They also engineered the exploding gas tank on the Ford Pinto, and the heater hose arrangement on the 1969 Mustang, but that B.S. aside, I would guess that by installing the Ecoboost PCV valve, you have significantly reduced the amount of blow-by vapors coming out of the crankcase.

In the "olden days" a road draft tube was used as a means to expel this out of the crankcase. Air came in and the by product of combustion & the air that got past the piston rings and into the crankcase went out to the atmosphere.

I wonder what is now happening inside your SEALED CRANKCASE now that you have reduced the CFM of the air that was moving from an 8 cylinder 5 liter design to that of a four cylinder.

Do you know?

RWSRWS
Old 09-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They also engineered the exploding gas tank on the Ford Pinto, and the heater hose arrangement on the 1969 Mustang, but that B.S. aside, I would guess that by installing the Ecoboost PCV valve, you have significantly reduced the amount of blow-by vapors coming out of the crankcase.

In the "olden days" a road draft tube was used as a means to expel this out of the crankcase. Air came in and the by product of combustion & the air that got past the piston rings and into the crankcase went out to the atmosphere.

I wonder what is now happening inside your SEALED CRANKCASE now that you have reduced the CFM of the air that was moving from an 8 cylinder 5 liter design to that of a four cylinder.

Do you know?

RWSRWS
Maybe thats why there is 2 of them on the 5.0. Each bank has 4 cylinders, right?
Old 09-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
On my 11.

On my 14.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTop5.0 View Post
Maybe thats why there is 2 of them on the 5.0. Each bank has 4 cylinders, right?
=====================================

Perhaps I stand corrected, it's been a LONG time since I've messed with it, however as I recall, on a V-8, fresh air is drawn in on one side, typically through the valve cover, and then all of the crankcase gases are sucked out the other side, through a single PCV valve.

Reducing the flow rate of that valve may reduce the blow by ingestion, however it may have other unintended consequences.

The Coyote is far more sophisticated than ANYTHING I have messed with in the past.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will offer some constructive details.

RWSRWS
Old 09-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
=====================================

Perhaps I stand corrected, it's been a LONG time since I've messed with it, however as I recall, on a V-8, fresh air is drawn in on one side, typically through the valve cover, and then all of the crankcase gases are sucked out the other side, through a single PCV valve.

Reducing the flow rate of that valve may reduce the blow by ingestion, however it may have other unintended consequences.

The Coyote is far more sophisticated than ANYTHING I have messed with in the past.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will offer some constructive details.

RWSRWS
It's ok if you're not comfortable using these. Not a big deal. Just don't scare other people into not using them. PCV valves are just to vent extra pressure in the crankcase, it will not suck in as it is a one way valve. Stop capitalizing words, i can read english lol.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Breathers, and regular cleaning of your valve covers.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
In my opinion using several different catch cans on my 14 GT over the past two years, the Bob's and the new style four chamber UPR are probably the most efficient catch cans and let the least amount of oil through to the intake. The RX can also works very well. The old style UPR and any of the side by side type cans are not very efficient and let quite a bit of oil through even though you will catch quite a bit in the can. I would use the Bob's and the new style UPR before I would use the Moroso.

I just emptied my Bob's can that I have mounted in the corner of the engine compartment by the master cylinder and after 1,700 miles of driving, I had one ounce of oil in the can.

Wayne
Old 09-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #27

Region: Connecticut
I have a Peterson catch can installed on my mustang, and it works great.
12mustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #28
Sad Panda
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I highly enjoy my MOROSO

Attachment 191463

I just tried to like this like I was on IG LOL 😂

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #29
Supporter

Well, my JLT O-ring is shot.... I have access to a bunch of different O-rings at work so I'll dig through the "no numbers" bin to see if I can find a fix.... Have to go back to stock-ish for a month anyways due to warranty work... Ticking is driving me nuts....
Old 09-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

i've heard a lot of good things about bob's catch can
white5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I think the Bob's and Moroso are the best choices.

NO O-RING !

NO Suspended by the hose

No take it apart to drain it

The Moroso has a nice bracket that makes it easier to drain...

Ordered it this week, goes on this weekend.

YAY !

RWSRWS
Old 09-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #32
Supporter

Which Catch Can is Best?

Still haven't dug through the o-ring bin at work... I think I'll replace it with a Moroso.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:36 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
Still haven't dug through the o-ring bin at work... I think I'll replace it with a Moroso.
How long did you have the JLT?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #34
Supporter

I bought it new on July 16th 2015. Has 3K miles on it.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
I bought it new on July 16th 2015. Has 3K miles on it.
I have 3,000 miles on mine as well. I've had no issues at all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT