Roush Square Tip Exhaust? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2015, 01:32 AM   #1

Region: Indiana
Roush Square Tip Exhaust?

Hello. I am new to the S197 Mustangs. I like the look of the Roush square tip exhaust. I was wondering if anyone out there has this exhaust and what you think of it. I have heard other exhausts and I will say I DO like the GT500 and Borla S-Type. I DO NOT like the Flowmasters, Kooks, or anything with drone and crackle. I have not heard the Roush in person. Thanks!
PerkinBaLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2015, 01:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
I have Roush Axle Backs on my 2014 GT with regular round tips, not square, but I can let you know that mine do crackle and pop when the motor isn't fully warmed up to normal temps. It happens when decelerating in gear. I have no other mods or exhaust mods and my resonators are still there. It is however short lived and goes away after only a minute or two....which I wish still did it because I like it for some reason. Everybody is different in what sounds right to them.

One thing I like most about the Roush Axle backs...well for one, they're surprisingly cheaper than a lot of other brands, Roush ONLY does Mustang and Ford performance vehicles like the Raptor. It would seem wrong to use a brand that also does most ricer cars....doesn't seem right on a Mustang.

WARNING...if you don't want drone, Roush axle backs are great! NO DRONE I promise, I used to see people say that on the forum, no drone and would go off on a rant saying they're deaf...because I had a Mustang at the time with the Roush, however unknown to me, I had no resonators!! When I found out....I felt like a stooge for saying they drone like all heck!
BUT if you also do resonator delete, your head will pound and throb from drone but it sounds like NASCAR!
It sounds mean and nasty and louder than loud but I won't remove my resonators and deal with that drone again just for 20% more badazz.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:31 AM   #3

I agree that Roush has it down when it comes to Mustang and Ford performance. This isn't my first Mustang. I've had an 89 LX 5.0, 93 LX 5.0 and a 85 GT. Each one had Flowmasters on them and sounded right. But different era and each had wild cams in them, headers, x or h pipes. I'm going more for low key but a much better sound and look (thus the square tips, in my opinion). I've been in Roush mustangs, but still haven't seen or heard a S197 body in a Roush supercharged or N/A. I've seen YouTube videos of the exhaust, but again, listening to that even on my home theater is not in person. Thanks for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2015, 05:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I hope you go through with the square tips because it does look better, and from what I can tell, probably more rare. Maybe because to make it work perfect, the rear valance needs squared off or changed. So that adds more work and money than most people want to spend.
When it's done right with a square valance or facia and square tips though, it looks much cleaner and looks like it must be a custom Mustang edition or model with higher end components.
And there is some more noise for sure in the cabin but not annoying or make phone calls hard. The resonator delete though...it's bad and in order to have someone hear you if you're on a phone call (using Sync of course) you're constantly trying to not be on the gas pedal whatsoever and still drive safe, it's just about impossible but the only way to hear a conversation with any hopes of understanding the person or them hearing anything but drone.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:05 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Op,

The square tip roush are going to sound the same as the round tip.

It is easy to install the updated diffuser. It requires permeant modification by cutting the bumper.

In the end it's personal preference on square vs round.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:42 AM   #6

Yea. I am aware of the rear valance modification needed for the square tip. That doesn't bother me. Although, I am skeptical about the sound being the same as the round tip, as they are different mufflers and advertised as such. The round tip is open chambered and square tips are dual chambered. I"m 90% positive I'm going with the square tip for my '13 GT. I'll make sure to take before and after pics.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

It's just the tips that are different from what I understand man. I could be wrong. But I don't believe the muffler itself is any different.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #8

Yes that is correct. Sorry I should have put "tips" in. But the tip controls the exhaust note as well (to a small degree).
Old 09-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
I have Roush Axle Backs on my 2014 GT with regular round tips, not square, but I can let you know that mine do crackle and pop when the motor isn't fully warmed up to normal temps. It happens when decelerating in gear. I have no other mods or exhaust mods and my resonators are still there. It is however short lived and goes away after only a minute or two....which I wish still did it because I like it for some reason. Everybody is different in what sounds right to them.

One thing I like most about the Roush Axle backs...well for one, they're surprisingly cheaper than a lot of other brands, Roush ONLY does Mustang and Ford performance vehicles like the Raptor. It would seem wrong to use a brand that also does most ricer cars....doesn't seem right on a Mustang.

WARNING...if you don't want drone, Roush axle backs are great! NO DRONE I promise, I used to see people say that on the forum, no drone and would go off on a rant saying they're deaf...because I had a Mustang at the time with the Roush, however unknown to me, I had no resonators!! When I found out....I felt like a stooge for saying they drone like all heck!
BUT if you also do resonator delete, your head will pound and throb from drone but it sounds like NASCAR!
It sounds mean and nasty and louder than loud but I won't remove my resonators and deal with that drone again just for 20% more badazz.

I love this description. It's perfect. And I love how it pops really loud on deceleration as well when the engine isn't fully warm it sounds so bad ass😁

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I had roush axelbacks with offroad jba h pipe and resonator delete. It sounded amazing. I honestly did not have done in the cabin at highway speeds. I could hear my sync phone calls just perfect. I miss that setup. Now I have borla s type with longtubes and offroad x and I would say my old setup sounds a bit better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
hdez41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Roush Square Tip Exhaust?

Res delete on the Roush is too raspy... Just xpipe and ghost cam tune... That sounds amazing

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Old 09-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Rasp really seems to be such a personal preference based on what you always thought sounded right on a muscle car. I prefer to have it and also like a crackle and pop once in a while. Many cant stand those types noises that just seem to come standard with Roush.
There's a good example here of Roush AB and no resonators. When he finally backs out of the garage and drives away. It seems pretty accurate on what to expect. Headphones help hear it like it actually sounds in person.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1443234734.404575.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	191531roush sounds awesome love the crackling. Get it u won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-25-2015, 11:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Rasp really seems to be such a personal preference based on what you always thought sounded right on a muscle car. I prefer to have it and also like a crackle and pop once in a while. Many cant stand those types noises that just seem to come standard with Roush.
There's a good example here of Roush AB and no resonators. When he finally backs out of the garage and drives away. It seems pretty accurate on what to expect. Headphones help hear it like it actually sounds in person.

Okay no doubt that sounded good.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

I have the roush ab and resonator delete on my 2012 mustang gt and I love it. I really have heard no drone at all either so I would recommend to anyone for a cheap great sounding exhaust.
Yellowblaze12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:40 AM   #16

Thanks everyone. Ordered it tonight. Pics will come!
Old 10-05-2015, 12:25 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Roush RS3 and I have no Drone!!
caballorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone know where to buy just the square tips?
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:43 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgluckman View Post
Anyone know where to buy just the square tips?

http://www.roushperformance.com/scri...ery=Square+tip
Old 10-05-2015, 09:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Just shows tips for 11-12. I'm assuming they're different for 13-14 but maybe they're not. I'm looking for tips compatible with the 13-14 roush rear valance.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgluckman View Post
Just shows tips for 11-12. I'm assuming they're different for 13-14 but maybe they're not. I'm looking for tips compatible with the 13-14 roush rear valance.

Yeah...I see that now. I would think they were the same but maybe not
Old 10-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah maybe so. I'll have to check with roush.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #23

The 11-12 are different than the 13-14. Contact Roush if you want just the tips. If you want the exhaust any place sells them.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:13 PM   #24

Region: Virginia
Test

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
blackbella5.oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust