Trackcal tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Trackcal tuner

So after a long, long time talking about which wing I should get. I decided to hold off on appearance and focus on performance. Now I still have my warranty for my car, so any other tune will void the warranty and I do not want that. I have been looking at the FR trackcal tuner. Supposedly it adds some low end torque and does not void the warranty of the car. Anyone using this tune that has some positive or negative feedback for me? I've read a lot already on it but just want to see some more opinions on it. Thanks!
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
As far as I know it voids the regular warranty and if installed by a dealer ford racing takes over the remainder of the warranty. That could be wrong and somebody else may have more info. You'd be better off I think to by a sct device especially if you plan on more stuff down the road. The pro cal is good only if you plan on keeping the car stock.
hitmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmeagain View Post
As far as I know it voids the regular warranty and if installed by a dealer ford racing takes over the remainder of the warranty. That could be wrong and somebody else may have more info. You'd be better off I think to by a sct device especially if you plan on more stuff down the road. The pro cal is good only if you plan on keeping the car stock.
I don't plan on getting any headers of anything like that. So the SCT is out of the question, until I decided to do more upgrades but that's way later on. Do you happen to own one of the procal tuners or trackcal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
No I don't. I have done lots of reading on them but figured it be a waste of 400 bucks for me because I plan doing some bolt ons here soon. I know it is a good tuner if you don't plan on doing anything else to the car. I know it makes the car feel 500lbs lighter and moves the Tourque down lower In the rpm range making the car feel much stronger. BUt you'll only gain like 16hp. And it has the cool Lopey idle feature and changes the engine braking characteristics.
hitmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmeagain View Post
No I don't. I have done lots of reading on them but figured it be a waste of 400 bucks for me because I plan doing some bolt ons here soon. I know it is a good tuner if you don't plan on doing anything else to the car. I know it makes the car feel 500lbs lighter and moves the Tourque down lower In the rpm range making the car feel much stronger. BUt you'll only gain like 16hp. And it has the cool Lopey idle feature and changes the engine braking characteristics.
Yeah, I just don't want to encounter that pinging noise if I do get it. And I just can't get myself to pay 400 bucks for 16hp and some torque. Maybe it is worth it who knows. But I want to actually feel a difference and this tune may do it a little but not a killer amount.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I just picked up my '14 today after getting the Trackey installed. I decided that I'm not interesting in extra HP for a long time, and the Key was my ticket to a little more fun. My dealer told me they would still stand behind any engine warranty items (I'm on the 3rd engine...) so - for me, it's warranty friendly.
First impressions... The power doesn't amaze me. But it delivers much smoother. The car doesn't have to adjust the cams for 5 seconds after mashing it anymore. When I hit it, it instantly pulls. Throttle response is better, but not quite like an old carb.
The low end torque is great. For normal driving I'm using 1 gear higher. It doesn't lug the engine now @ 1500 rpm. The idle is super cool. Honestly, I'm afraid it might break stuff though. Not today, but maybe after a year. I might hold the button down and turn it off unless I want to show off.
I'm hoping to get out to the mountains and open it up a little this weekend. So far, my tire upgrade has been sufficient. I'm curious if LCA's or shocks are going to be necessary with the extra torque. And yes, mine is a DD, so no huge build planned for any of it. Hope that helps in your decision! My 2nd choice was a Steeda tune... I think it would be super-safe and allow bolt-ons. But for now, I get to choose which key every morning.... 😬

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The engine braking is very noticeable and fun on mountain roads. Enjoy.

Deep Impact Blue 2014.5 GT Premium
3:73 Axle
Brembo Brakes
'12 Shelby Axle Back Exhaust
Trackey
Boss 302 Side Exhaust w/QTP cut-outs
MGW Race Spec Shifter
Clearsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

After playing with my new Trackey, I have noticed significant pinging. The 1st tank of gas was inclement weather. Since then, it pings. I'm running 93 from Top Tier stations. It only pings at full throttle, usually above 4000 RPM.
I have been running octane juice to protect it. Ford Racing recommends an oil separator.
Has anyone opted for the "allow octane adjust" setting in the tune? I really wanted to keep my engine bay looking stock.

As for driving it, I love it. It pulls a LOT harder, has awesome control with the engine braking, rumbles beautifully, and feels like a genuine muscle car. 😁

Old 10-16-2015, 11:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Love the Ford ProCal tune. I have my octane adjust setting at yes.. Have never had any pinging. And I use 87 most of the time unless I feel the need for speed than a full tank of 93 is the way I go.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #10
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Procal

Had it installed a year ago, I have not experienced any pinging.
Running either Shell or Sunoco 93.
With the auto, the engine breaking is fantastic.
With the cruise on going down hills it'll drop down into a lower gear.
I love it on the ride home as I live in western PA, so it gets a workout!
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Everyone knows here what i think of the Procal and what I did with it. I did occasionally get some events that sounded like pinging. I usually did a profile relearn with the Procal tool and that dealt with it. I pulled the plugs after 3 years and there were no signs of distress and the motor pushed perfect spec, exactly the same compression on all 8.

11s with a sticky tire were allright too, on that tune.

That said, I am not going Procal on the '14 I have now. The automatic can do far better with another vendor, I think. The Procal claims to tune the auto but, most reports say that tuning is not detectable. Track Cal is not an option as it's only for the manual cars.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had the ProCal tune loaded onto my '13 over a year ago. Very happy with the improved throttle response and additional low-end torque. It's right where you need it for a DD. I didn't install the K&N filter that came with it. So far no pinging, octane adjust is off or "no" and I run 91 octane top-tier fuel only.

-Jeff
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Everybody's feedback has me worried as to why I'm getting pinging on 93. I'm not sure if I should bite the bullet on a separator, or have the tune changed to "allow octane adjust" - I really wanted to avoid a separator.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Two things can ease you mind maybe: You can buy a plug and play separator from jlt for about $100 and not touch anything else on the engine. Five minutes to install. My 12 drank a lot of oil as it broke in, that was why I put one on, not bc of the tune.

Octane adjust to Y might do it but, the profile relearn is effective.

That said, I have no evidence it actually is detonation. I ran this tune for 3.5 years and the plugs were perfect, as I said.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Since I'm using the Trackey, every tune change is done by the Stealership. I might have them change it to "octane adjust" - but I can't do a re-learn on my own (or can I?) The separator is looking better all the time.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ok...unless you have the Procal tuner, you can't do the relearn, I think. That function is built into the tuner, not the tune.

Its literally five minutes max to do the relearn, including finding the tuner, hooking it up and performing the relearn.

Also five minutes max to flip on octane adjust.

You may want to try some diff brands of gas or stations. Quality varies greatly. If it diminishes you know you are dealing with something real.

You should know, the knock sensors on these cars are spastic in their sensitivity so, you don't have much to worry about in terms of damaging the engine.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Agreed, try a different brand and/or a different gas station. Quality can vary from place to place.

Put a separator on... they recommend it for a reason.
That was one of my first mods.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT