Auto problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Auto problem

I've noticed that sometimes when I'm cruising and stomp the gas to go wot that the car will downshift a gear, then about 1 second later it drops another gear(the gear it should have dropped to at first). I'm guessing this is a drive by wire issue and not a trans issue. Anyone else have this?

My car is tuned by lund, but I'm 99% sure it did it once or twice before it was tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgluckman View Post
I've noticed that sometimes when I'm cruising and stomp the gas to go wot that the car will downshift a gear, then about 1 second later it drops another gear(the gear it should have dropped to at first). I'm guessing this is a drive by wire issue and not a trans issue. Anyone else have this?

My car is tuned by lund, but I'm 99% sure it did it once or twice before it was tuned.

Bill - Having had a few auto Ford's in my family and living with a brand new truck right now I can tell you that their transmissions are less than pleasing sometimes.

Get with your tuner and they should be able to fine tune/work through this with you.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgluckman View Post

The auto's Imo are slushboxes from the factory, I noticed the exact same thing along with sluggish downshifts. A tune from Mpt or Bama ect will definitely fix this issue. The factory tune is terrible for the auto's.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 12:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Bill - Having had a few auto Ford's in my family and living with a brand new truck right now I can tell you that their transmissions are less than pleasing sometimes.

Get with your tuner and they should be able to fine tune/work through this with you.

Alex
Yeah I think I'll email lund and see if it's been an issue before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
The auto's Imo are slushboxes from the factory, I noticed the exact same thing along with sluggish downshifts. A tune from Mpt or Bama ect will definitely fix this issue. The factory tune is terrible for the auto's.

Sent from LG G3.
lund tune, not factory, but like I said, I think it was an issue with factory tune as well.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Has no one else had this issue?

I just contacted lund earlier, I'm waiting to see what they their solution is.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

This is going to follow you primarily because these are multi-speed autos, it isn't just a Ford thing. Think for a sec about the dozens of different conditions of load, throttle angle, rpm and speed, etc that the trans is working on at any given time. You wouldn't necessarily want the car jumping down two gears if you were just putting around town, for example, or had just come off the throttle due to traffic but were still close to highway speed. The tuning will always default to the least number of downshifts necessary to move the car, it has to. This leads to situations where the box seems to be in the wrong gear for the sensation you are after but, generally the car moves forward and keeps up with traffic.

In the old days, with a three speed auto, it only kicked down once and it was purely throttle angle based. Simple, direct and slow as balls, because the ratios were far from ideal and those old boxes took 60 horses to run them. The kickdown generally resulted in more noise and that was about it. It felt like performance but wasn't.

By and large, I found the auto tuning to be OK on my 2014 but, the shifts were still too slow for me and the rev limiter was set a little low. VMP fixed up the box pretty well with their auto tune, without it getting stupid.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have the same issue with my car too. It also takes about 2-3 seconds down shifting before taking off. By then I already lost that race lol
2013BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

This isn't an "issue". It's expected the trans will work its way up the box at cruise so it's going to have to work its way down when you step on it. It's like being caught in 6th gear on the manual in a roll race. You'll lose every frickin' time and the answer is the same as the auto is providing you, down shift.

You want to be sure of being in the "right" gear? Selectshift, baby.....

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 12-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
This isn't an "issue". It's expected the trans will work its way up the box at cruise so it's going to have to work its way down when you step on it. It's like being caught in 6th gear on the manual in a roll race. You'll lose every frickin' time and the answer is the same as the auto is providing you, down shift.

You want to be sure of being in the "right" gear? Selectshift, baby.....
What I was experiencing WAS an issue. The trans should not downshift twice at wot.

Lund suggested that I reflash the ecu with the tune and it solved the problem. Shifts down one time to the appropriate gear when the pedal is floored now.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

If you've been doing a lot of dawdling lately, the adaptive shifting will adjust the shifting to suit that style of driving. That doesn't make it an issue and can be cured with a fuse 47 pull, rather than reflashing the tune.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
AED tuned here and I've experienced the issue a couple times. I've noticed if I put my foot down faster then the issue doesn't occur.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
AED tuned here and I've experienced the issue a couple times. I've noticed if I put my foot down faster then the issue doesn't occur.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Good to know.

Just to update the car started the crap again soon after the retune. I tried the number 47 fuse as well and if it helped it didn't last long. Sometimes the car downshifts perfect, sometimes it doesn't. It isn't a huge problem at the moment, just annoying.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Like what was mentioned above you have to flash the throttle very fast and it'll usually go down only once in gear. Sometimes people want to roll on the throttle so the car jumps down and jumps down again. Mine will also do this when spinning the tires really bad, it skips from 1st to 3rd then once it gets traction downshift back in to 2nd. it's very annoying.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Grabber it sounds like you have traction control on. If you haven't done it yet, hold the brake and trac control button for 6 seconds or so until you see "advance trac off". That might be your problem. Mine doesn't do what you described.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Also, mine does the double downshift when I stomp the gas. I'm sure rolling into it would cause that but I'm pressing the peddle as fast as you can.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Bill, at what speed and gear are you in when it does the double downshift? These auto transmissions shift off mph not rpm. Have you checked your speedo by GPS? Are your tires factory height? May have (forget) that trans sensor going bad that measures appropriate mph for shifts. FYI.
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
Bill, at what speed and gear are you in when it does the double downshift? These auto transmissions shift off mph not rpm. Have you checked your speedo by GPS? Are your tires factory height? May have (forget) that trans sensor going bad that measures appropriate mph for shifts. FYI.
The cars computer relies on several sensors to decide when and how to shift.
• Input shaft speed sensor - Engine speed on the transmission side of the torque converter
• Output shaft speed sensor - Road speed
• Throttle position - How far the accelerator is pressed
• MAP sensor - Engine intake vacuum, which is a function of throttle position and engine load.
• Temperature - Shift firmness varies based on transmission temperature to account for the fluid's properties over the wide range of operating temperatures.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT