New to Mustang Nation - not happy with Ford Service though - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
New to Mustang Nation - not happy with Ford Service though

All,

New to Mustang Nation with a 2013 GT/CS Conv. Love the car, the speed and fun.

Was purchased as a CPO from a NC dealership. Didn't have too much time to look it over before purchasing, but still thinks it was a solid purchase.

3 weeks in, I have confirmed (via Ford and an independent tire shop) that the two front tires are considerably feathered, causing vibration at 40mph and a low pitched drone starting at 50mph. I have thrown the car into neutral to make sure it was not the tranny, and a Ford certified technician (from a site different from where I purchased it) confirmed it is due to feathering.

So, normal course of action was to contact the original Ford dealership that sold me the car to have them authorize a replacement of the front 2 tires, and align the front. Crickets! Neither I or the Ford dealership can get authorization from the original dealership where it was purchased (40 miles away).

Anyone else seen this type of internal fighting between dealerships?
Thoughts on tire feathering being the source of this vibration (pirelli nero zero, 245/45/19 ZR)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	192016  
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

First off how many miles are on the car? My factory pirellis on my 14 lasted about 14,000 miles they wore to the wires on the insides. A guy that worked at the dealer that I bought my car from told me it would do that if I didn't rotate them regularly. I just bought new tires and moved on. I hope they help you. I would drive back to the dealer you purchased from and handle this in person.
hitmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Getting to that point. The car has 44k, but all four are clearly not original. The rears are new, but the troubled fronts are probably only 3-5k in. They still have lots of good tread, just feathered.
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmurphy16 View Post
Getting to that point. The car has 44k, but all four are clearly not original. The rears are new, but the troubled fronts are probably only 3-5k in. They still have lots of good tread, just feathered.

Rotate fronts to rear and see what that does. If it doesn't help take the car back

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Most used cars are bought "as-is," so good luck. You could probably try to argue negligence on their part, but again ... good luck.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

will be posting a new thread to get more info, but replaced the front tires with P zeros, so all 4 are new. Got front end alignment as well. Still, same droning sound starting right at 50mph.

Thoughts? It is possible that it is simply harmonics traveling up through the sound tube into the cabin right at that speed? Sound seems to go away at 65 mph, but still a bit of a rough ride. Of course, I could be over senstive to the ride at this point since I drove a CHRY 300M for 15 years that was a highway cruising machine. I know it won't be that smooth, but was thinking it would be a bit smoother.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
No the mustang will not be smoother than the 300M. Looks like you should have found a way to make more time to check out that car before you bought it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #8

Region: Minnesota
I have a 2012 Boss 302 and it came with Pirellis P zeros. I rotated at 5000 miles consistently but the inside tread was gone at just over 15.K. Took it to a respected local tire shop and also the dealer I bought the car from to check the alignment. Perfectly within spec both tests. Dealer said that the issue was with the Pirellis and they just wore that way, i.e., the tires were the problem. Replaced with BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2 all around. Have 7K on these now and they are still noisy, but so far don't seem to be wearing differently on the inside tread. Only problem is that these tires are unidirectional and staggered sizes for the Boss so only way to rotate is to swap left to right tires off the rims so inside is out and outside in. I suspected because the Boss had lower springs than a stock GT that maybe the earlier tire wear with the Pirellis was that factory camber settings to provide the proper performance geometry was such that inside front wear was the cost. Will have to see if future wear still hits the inside even with rotation, but was really surprised to read here that someone was having the same issues with a stock GT.
jimprw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #9

Region: Massachusetts
I had the Pirellis on my 2011 when i bought it last year. Had 14000 miles on it and didn't realize they were shot. Did the same thing yours is. Wasn't a Ford dealer but it was a national used car dealer. told them the problem and they were of no help. When she came out from winter hibernation I sprung for Hankook Ventis. Great tires and no more problems.
sdesroches17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Can't believe it is just the tires causing this sound. Can be, right?
kpmurphy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
These cars have a LOT of transmitted road noise to the cabin. Low profile tires, stiff sidewalls, not much sound deadening. I love mine, but sure wish I could find a silent tire, a magic bullet as they say. Hey, its a sports sedan. Ford had to cut some corners some wheres. My Borlas help soften/cover the road drone....enjoy the ride
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I am starting to accept that. Just want to make sure the bearings aren't shot.

When the top is down, can't here this horrible droning sound.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
MPSS are very good. Rated at 30k. Not sure it will last that long, but 2k in still good

Lvsmc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
When you say "horrible droning sound" how empathic are you being? A little is the way things are but more than that and you may have issues. You got it aligned so that's out but still...
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

that's my concern. Its a 'stang - not going to be silent. But an obvious deep pitched drone pops on the scene right at 50mph. It is not only heard, but can be felt (static vibration - not a rotating vibration) through the bottom of the front floor boards and pedal. That is why I almost wonder if it is a harmonic vibration from the tires or from the sound tube.

Maybe I should clamp the sound tube to exclude that as a cause. . . .
Old 10-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Through the floor boards and pedal? It's not the sound tube.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Don't get me wrong. Not violent, but enough for it to be noticeable - and different from pre-50mph driving. And it's not the roar of the engine - that is a great feeling and quite different.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvsmc14 View Post
MPSS are very good. Rated at 30k. Not sure it will last that long, but 2k in still good

my stock summer Brembo car Pirellis were loud, as were the Mickey Thompson Street Comps, I now have Michelin Pilot Super Sports, they are a very quiet tire

sent from my S6 using tapatalk
Old 10-08-2015, 04:29 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Through the floor boards and pedal? It's not the sound tube.
+1. My friend, having the service manager of the dealer go around the block or anywhere you can do 50 mph + so they can feel it may be good. Vibrations in floor and pedals would be a hard one to explain away as normal with a straight face.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
No the mustang will not be smoother than the 300M. Looks like you should have found a way to make more time to check out that car before you bought it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
This. No doubt you signed paperwork that said you were taking the car "as is", and that the dealership did not owe you any repairs/replacements. This makes the selling dealership not liable for tires.
Did you test drive the car before purchase? No noise that you describe now was present during the test drive?
Things like brake pads, tires, wiper blades are all normal wear items, and very rarely covered after the initial 12 month/12K mileage warrantee.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
The factory 18" Pirellis on my 14 GT were horribly loud with only 10,000 miles on them and they were pretty badly feathered as well as out of round. I have not noticed any unusual wear on the inside of the front tires though.

I found and installed some factory 19" Mustang Premium wheels with low mileage Pirellis on them and while they are not as loud as my factory Pirellis, they do have noise to them. I rotate the tires on my car every 5,000 miles. I just think these Pirellis are not very good tires and plan on putting a different brand on when these wear out.

Wayne
Old 10-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I replaced my factory 19" Pirelli tires at 20k miles and 2 1/2 years old. About 12k miles and 1.5 years was with the car being lowered and not having had an alignment done after lowering. Shop that installed the suspension did a pretty good job eyeballing it. Car drove perfectly straight... (Meant to get an alignment, just never got around to it).

Anyways, at 20k miles, there wasn't any unusual noise from the tire. The pirellis are a louder tire, but there wasn't any extra drone at any certain speeds from the tires. There was still a decent amount of tread left, but the insides had started to show signs of wearing faster. Probably could've gotten another 3-4K miles out of them, but I ended up buying new wheels. I would imagine that the insides probably wore a little faster because I drove 12k miles while lowered and not getting an alignment done.

Currently have Mickey Thompson street comps, and they are not a quiet tire, but are noticeably quieter than the pirellis.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:47 PM   #23

Region: Alaska
Don't CPO's come with warranty?

Will
TintMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Dynamat type sound deadening applied under the rear seats makes a big difference lessening cabin/road drone....ford left it looking like a metal drum under the seat..
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #25
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvsmc14 View Post

I got a set of these (MPSS) in stock size on another set of stock 18's and it was night and day as far as noise and smoothness. The stock A/S Pirelli's are not really a good tire in any way.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

just a quick update. Cary Crossroads took the car in and replaced the front right bearing under warranty. The drone is gone when getting to 50mph and above. Rock stars there - slowly changing my recent opinion of Ford.

They did not that the front left wheel is slightly bent, which means the Wake Forest site sold it to me with a bent wheel. I am hoping they can make this right.

A new fight, but atleast I can enjoy my car without that droning noise.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

So, just following up and concluding this thread.

Good news - Great folks at my local NC Firestone shop indicated that there is a wheel/rim repair outfit that will come to them and fix a rim. Kwicksilver (Brady) came to shop - Firestone took the tire off the wheel and Kwicksilver threw it into their truck to straigten. The wheel had three rather sizeable bends in it from what looks like a migration off of a country road to the right side. The interior arch of the wheel was badly torn up; it was where the bends in the wheel were located. Wheel was re-tired and balanced by the awesome folks at Firestone and the car is back to 'neutral' now - the scares of the previous owners removed. Drives like an angry 5.0 GT that I expected when I got it. Love it.

Continued Bad side of the story - I have still not heard from the Wake Forest Crossroads dealership where I purchased the car. I have done all of this work on my own dime. . . we are at about $490 now. I have owned the car for about 3-4 weeks. They have definitely lost a customer for life. I will continue to call them out by name on all of the mustang forums I participate in and to every person who stops me and says 'nice car, where do you get it?' That will continue until I atleast hear from the dealership.

Too bad - I am a business person (in sales for goodness sake) and would do the total opposite if they were honest with their mistake (or owed up to it when I discovered their overlooks). I would be praising them - like the folks at Firestone in southern Wake County and Kwicksilver of Raiegh . . . I guess some outfits believe they are too big to address every situation.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmeagain View Post
First off how many miles are on the car? My factory pirellis on my 14 lasted about 14,000 miles they wore to the wires on the insides. A guy that worked at the dealer that I bought my car from told me it would do that if I didn't rotate them regularly. I just bought new tires and moved on. I hope they help you. I would drive back to the dealer you purchased from and handle this in person.
I hope you know that guy was full of crap. Not rotating your tires does not cause drastic/premature tire wear. Misalignments or other mechanical problems do.
Rotating tires is primarily to help insure even wear on all four tires.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT