vibration at 40mph, droning noise from 50-65mph - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
vibration at 40mph, droning noise from 50-65mph

Folks,

Have a 2013 GT conv. Bought it used from Ford, has 4 new P zeros on it and just got it aligned. Shop indicates that the front looks good and bearings are in order (currently has 45K on it, bearings were replaced by previous owner at 33K - don't know why). Suspension seems to be in order.

At about 40 mph, I start to get some vibration that causes the passenger seat to sway from side to side a bit.

Right at 50mph (lasting through 65mph), I get a lower pitched droning sound from the front. It is not the tranny since it persists when in neutral, and the pitch is speed dependent.

Thoughts? Things to look at next?

It is not possible that this is simply harmonics traveling into the cabin via the sound tube is it?

Is this a typical Mustang characteristic that others experience in their 'stangs?
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Did this happen before the P-zeros and alignment, or don't you know?
Auto trans or manual trans? This sounds strange to me. Is there a spare set of wheels and tires you could bolt on to eliminate that variable?

Your tires could actually be out of round. I had the exact same symptoms on a different car that had tires which I knew to be out of round.

My only other guess would be driveshaft or the output side of transmission (symptoms of output problems can remain even when in neutral)
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, had these symptoms with the P zeros that Ford provided with the car. The rears are new, so I replaced the fronts today and got the alignment. Same droning sound - no change.
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What does Ford have to say about it.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Are the mufflers stock or aftermarket? Muffler drone doesnt sound like it comes from the rear its just there.
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Waiting to have an inter-dealership argument sorted out between wake forest crossroads and Cary crossroads to authorize Cary to get it up on a lift to figure out next steps.

Stay tuned for this saga.
kpmurphy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Whole car is stock. No mods.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmurphy16 View Post
Whole car is stock. No mods.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

That you know of. The car could have been heavily modded. Bring it to the dealer if it still has a "warranty"

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

doubt it. Performance Ford in Charlotte was the owner of the car for the first 38K. I think either the manager was driving it or they used it as a chase car for transfers . . . . but they way Ford has been acting, anything is possible.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well a CPO car is the absolute worst Isis car to purchase. They don't check a dam thing.
And will lie about previous owner or what the car was intended for.

Hopefully it's not your case though. If ford is giving you a hard time call ford corporate they will work with you and figure out what's wrong with your local dealer

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

As I am learning.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

As I am learning.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The tires can be be perfectly balanced and in spec, but a bent rim will still cause the vibration. Had this on my truck. The high school guys that balance tires don't always notice a slightly bent rim. It took several trips before they found it.

This could actually cause the drone too. If so, it's going to damage your tires real fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

that's a great point. I will have them take a look at that as well.

Thanks. Will let everyone know.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

they fixed it!

Crossroads Ford in Cary took the car in and found a worn front right bearing. They replaced it and the droning at 50mph and above is gone. Well done gents!

They did find that the front left wheel (which has some major road rash) is slightly bent, so that is a point of discussion for the folks who sold me the car with a bent rim - that that was not the Cary site.

So, drone resolved. Bent wheel replacement fight begins . . . . any advice would be great.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
The dealer you bought it from will just say that you must have done it since they sold it to you. It will become your word against theirs.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmurphy16 View Post
Crossroads Ford in Cary took the car in and found a worn front right bearing. They replaced it and the droning at 50mph and above is gone. Well done gents!

They did find that the front left wheel (which has some major road rash) is slightly bent, so that is a point of discussion for the folks who sold me the car with a bent rim - that that was not the Cary site.

So, drone resolved. Bent wheel replacement fight begins . . . . any advice would be great.
Well your first comments mentioned, "Shop indicates that the front looks good and bearings are in order (currently has 45K on it, bearings were replaced by previous owner at 33K - don't know why).
Well now we know why! Bent wheel all along, causing bearing failure. (At least the recently replaced bearing.)
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

yup, off to get the wheel straightened this week. Cheaper than replacing it - found a wheel expert shop that all of the national tire stores in the Raleigh area use. They even can buff out the road rash on the wheel from the incident that probably caused the bent wheel in the first place.

Too bad Ford couldn't be up front about the injury to the wheel and have it fixed before selling it to anyone. I guess I was expecting better from Ford. Buick and Chrysler have them beat in the sales / customer service department.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:17 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
^ probably didn't even notice
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So, just following up and concluding this thread.

Good news - Great folks at my local NC Firestone shop indicated that there is a wheel/rim repair outfit that will come to them and fix a rim. Kwicksilver (Brady) came to shop - Firestone took the tire off the wheel and Kwicksilver threw it into their truck to straigten. The wheel had three rather sizeable bends in it from what looks like a migration off of a country road to the right side. The interior arch of the wheel was badly torn up; it was where the bends in the wheel were located. Wheel was re-tired and balanced by the awesome folks at Firestone and the car is back to 'neutral' now - the scares of the previous owners removed. Drives like an angry 5.0 GT that I expected when I got it. Love it.

Continued Bad side of the story - I have still not heard from the Wake Forest Crossroads dealership where I purchased the car. I have done all of this work on my own dime. . . we are at about $490 now. I have owned the car for about 3-4 weeks. They have definitely lost a customer for life. I will continue to call them out by name on all of the mustang forums I participate in and to every person who stops me and says 'nice car, where do you get it?' That will continue until I atleast hear from the dealership.

Too bad - I am a business person (in sales for goodness sake) and would do the total opposite if they were honest with there mistake (or owed up to it when I discovered their overlooks). I would be praising them - like the folks at Firestone in southern Wake County and Kwicksilver of Raiegh . . . I guess some outfits believe they are too big to address every situation.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Good news - Great folks at my local NC Firestone shop indicated that there is a wheel/rim repair outfit that will come to them and fix a rim. Kwicksilver (Brady) came to shop - Firestone took the tire off the wheel and Kwicksilver threw it into their truck to straigten. The wheel had three rather sizeable bends in it from what looks like a migration off of a country road to the right side. The interior arch of the wheel was badly torn up; it was where the bends in the wheel were located. Wheel was re-tired and balanced by the awesome folks at Firestone and the car is back to 'neutral' now - the scares of the previous owners removed. Drives like an angry 5.0 GT that I expected when I got it. Love it.

Continued Bad side of the story - I have still not heard from the Wake Forest Crossroads dealership where I purchased the car. I have done all of this work on my own dime. . . we are at about $490 now. I have owned the car for about 3-4 weeks. They have definitely lost a customer for life. I will continue to call them out by name on all of the mustang forums I participate in and to every person who stops me and says 'nice car, where do you get it?' That will continue until I atleast hear from the dealership.

Too bad - I am a business person (in sales for goodness sake) and would do the total opposite if they were honest with their mistake (or owed up to it when I discovered their overlooks). I would be praising them - like the folks at Firestone in southern Wake County and Kwicksilver of Raiegh . . . I guess some outfits believe they are too big to address every situation.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Too bad - I am a business person (in sales for goodness sake) and would do the total opposite if they were honest with their mistake (or owed up to it when I discovered their overlooks). I would be praising them - like the folks at Firestone in southern Wake County and Kwicksilver of Raiegh . . . I guess some outfits believe they are too big to address every situation.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Sorry for the repeat post. Internet was funky.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT