RTR REAR LICENSE PLATE SURROUND - Installation Tips - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
RTR REAR LICENSE PLATE SURROUND - Installation Tips

Just installed one of these the other night... thought I'd offer a few tips for everyone else.

1.) Make sure you have a hook tool. You will definitely need one to to get the stock surround removed. You can pick up a hook kit at Lowes or Home Depot for a just a few bucks.

2.) Remember that hook kit I mentioned in step 1? Well, you have to pull... HARD to get the stock surround removed. I ended up breaking 2-3 of the stock clips when removing. This is not a problem unless you intend to go back to stock for some reason.

3.) Make sure you have enough daylight! I was anxious to get this bad boy installed and ran out of daylight. I had to use one of those hook lights, which made it incredibly hard to see the sharpie lines I drew to cut out the bumper.

4.) A hacksaw isn't going to hack it! There are multiple problems I ran into when using a hacksaw, such as: It takes too long. The blade kept bending. After 1 or 2 back and forth motions the teeth would become clogged with plastic and stop cutting. I continually had to remove plastic from the blade.

5.) I borrowed a dremel from a friend. This is way to go! However, 2 BIG WARNINGS! Be VERY CAREFUL NOT TO CUT YOUR WIRING. It is directly behind the area you will be cutting out. The second warning is, WEAR EAR PROTECTION. That dremel on plastic was insanely loud. Fairly positive the neighbors weren't happy with me, and my ears were hurting by the time I was done.

6.) Have some black rustoleum on hand to spray the inside of the bumper area before you install the surround because that section of the car isn't painted.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Wouldn't it be a million times easier to just take the bumper off? I've had mine off to do the diffuser and it takes all of 5 minutes. That would make the removal of the stock part a non issue, the wire cutting a non issue.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Might have been easier that way. I did the same thing and was seriously worried I was going to pull the whole bumper off as hard as it was to get off. lol. Looks good though.

Side note/question: Maybe it is a florida thing... I seem to get sand and dirt in those surround holes 2 minutes into first drive after clean?? Am I alone?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
Side note/question: Maybe it is a florida thing... I seem to get sand and dirt in those surround holes 2 minutes into first drive after clean?? Am I alone?
A little too early to tell, but seems to be staying clean.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT