Engine ticking after oil change?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Engine ticking after oil change??

I just got my oil changed at the Ford dealership I usually go to and on my way home I hear that damn tick coming from the engine again. Did the same thing for about a thousand miles after my last oil change. I'm no expert on what causes the dreaded 5.0 engine ticking but I know this shoud not be happening. 2013 5.0 39k miles
Thanks

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
nobody really seems to know what causes the 5.0 ticking, hell not even Ford has any idea. There are plenty of theory's but nothing is conclusive. when i bought my 2012 new it had the tick after my first oil change as well, i never had a problem with the car related to the ticking noise at all. I honestly just got used to it and didn't think anything of it after a little while. The tick persisted with my car for 2 years before i put a forged rotating assembly into it. funny enough i haven't heard the tick at all since i started my car back up a couple of months ago after getting built.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Yes they do. It's the ac tensioner tsb. Look it up you'll see.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
well i stand corrected, granted last time i searched about the tick was a while ago. and now i see why i don't have the tick anymore, i took everything A/C related out of my car.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
Supporter

Region: Texas
Perhaps noisy injectors? I don't mean that in a smart way....
Ditto in the tensioner TSB, they are aware....
Old 10-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
Perhaps noisy injectors? I don't mean that in a smart way....
Ditto in the tensioner TSB, they are aware....

I promise it's not the injectors. I've listened to my engine with and without the tick and can tell the difference between sounds. Good suggestion tho

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Old 10-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I've yet to experience this on my car. It isn't cam phaser noise is it? Check youtube if you've never heard it. Very common on the 3v engines.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Very curious, did you change oil when warmed up or cold????

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
Very curious, did you change oil when warmed up or cold????

Warm

Old 10-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ticking Problem part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
Warm

Thank you, that's very interesting. I have been asking (Stupid?) questions ever since this issue of ticking after an oil change reared its ugly head I have sent a lot of P.M.s to our brothers that have had this problem develop after an oil change, the one thing everyone seems to have in common is changing their engine oil when the engine is hot/warm. I don't have enough info to put forth a theory but, when changing aircraft oil, the planes are rarely warm/hot, although Shell recommends it. So clearly it is not necessary to change oil when the engine is warm. We sure as hell didn't in Nam, and we never lost and engine to lubrication issues.
I am still trying to figure out the lube system of our engines. All I have is is a working theory that I have some ideas about.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
Old 10-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ticking problem part 2

For all of you that haven't fallen off chairs in laughter at my questions. I put this out there for your scrutiny.
When I did my first oil change at 12 years old (I am now 70) my dad told me not to change oil when its hot and to make sure I fill the filter before I install it for fear of losing momentary prime and dry startup, and, to avoid the crap that settles to the bottom of the oil pan from being picked up again and being recirculated. He said if there is anything on the bottom of the oil pan We should pull the pan and clean it and inspect the lower end. And yes I know there isn't crap on the bottom of a well maintained engine.
To this day I change my oil cold. And yes I know it's recommended to change oil after the engine is warmed up.
Now I know the clearances in modern oil pumps are such that they don't lose their prime except for what ever is in the pickup tube, but do the hydraulic oil tension cylinders/oil buckets etc.
If anyone of you internet gurus can post/send a detailed oil system flow diagram of our engines it would be appreciated. So I may continue my fools quest.

And no I don't have any ticks on either my '11 or '14 GTs

Old 10-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
V6 person here but one of the things I do on all modern vehicles is when I change oil I'll pull the fuel pump relay/fuse under the THEORY of it'll prime the pump if I give it 2 ten second crank cycles. IDK if it does anything except give me a warm and fuzzy feeling but figured I'd throw it out for you to consider.

I question the AC tensioner theory as why (except for heightened listening) would it happen after an oil change?
Old 10-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Strange Mud;2300391]V6 person here but one of the things I do on all modern vehicles is when I change oil I'll pull the fuel pump relay/fuse under the THEORY of it'll prime the pump if I give it 2 ten second crank cycles. IDK if it does anything except give me a warm and fuzzy feeling but figured I'd throw it out for you to consider.

I question the AC tensioner theory as why (except for heightened listening) would it happen after an oil change

Not the a/c tensioner (that's a stretchy belt) The valve spool that regulates the flow of oil to the phaser cavity and the timing chain tensioner. Not sure of the exact nomenclature on that. That's why I'm throwing this out there I want people like you to call me out see if my balloon will float. It may be why Ford came out with timing cover upgrade for 14. I put up a thread on it. I you care to read it.
mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t371942/[/url]

Old 10-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

You know folks.. I don't have these problems, but I like a mystery.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mins started with ticking and then boom a broken piston rod bearing. Now ford has to give me a new engine. It only has 31K. Just be careful with it because on mine my engine light never came on.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
V6 person here but one of the things I do on all modern vehicles is when I change oil I'll pull the fuel pump relay/fuse under the THEORY of it'll prime the pump if I give it 2 ten second crank cycles. IDK if it does anything except give me a warm and fuzzy feeling but figured I'd throw it out for you to consider.

I question the AC tensioner theory as why (except for heightened listening) would it happen after an oil change?
My thought too.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #17
Supporter

Region: Texas
My tick randomly happens. I stopped by the Ford dealer last week and it wouldn't tick.... I get home today and it's ticking.....
Old 10-09-2015, 10:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
My thought too.
Refer to post above. There is no a/c tensioner. It's a stretchy belt.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Hey you guys go to this link if you have ticking noise. This may be very helpful to you.

Finally Ford Acknowledges Ticks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT