LCA relocation bracket adjustment - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
LCA relocation bracket adjustment

I bought the bmr LCA relocation brackets for my car after I lowered it. I have eibach sportlines which is a pretty aggressive drop and was wondering which holes I needed to mount the control arms in the bracket to get the best performance. I was thinking the middle holes but for all I know I could need the lowest holes to get the angle right.
Is there a certain angle the arms should be at that I could measure?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Fax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
With the car sitting on the ground the LCAs should be parallel to the ground. You might want to adjust them to that the rear of the LCA is slightly lower than the front. This will help push the axle down under hard acceleration.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ya i wasnt entirely sure what the stock ride height angle was and if doing a more aggressive angle towards the rear would be an improvement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
There is a great article on LCA adjustment here: cherod.com/mustang - LCAs

k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So if i wanted the most aggressive force on the axle I need to put it probably on the lowest adjustment like I thought. Is there any side affects to an aggressive setup like that?

Old 10-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fax22 View Post
So if i wanted the most aggressive force on the axle I need to put it probably on the lowest adjustment like I thought. Is there any side affects to an aggressive setup like that?

You could overload your tire's ability to grip and actually make traction worse. Its a balance.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
And like that referenced article points out, "Note that running the LCA at an angle (any angle, good or bad) will result in slightly more ride harshness on rough roads."
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
You could overload your tire's ability to grip and actually make traction worse. Its a balance.
Volt...I tried googling this subject but had no luck finding anything on what you are pointing out.
Could you try explain a bit on exactly what this means and/or what is taking place? In layman's terms.
Or even better, a link to an article.
Thanks
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Volt...I tried googling this subject but had no luck finding anything on what you are pointing out.
Could you try explain a bit on exactly what this means and/or what is taking place? In layman's terms.
Or even better, a link to an article.
Thanks
I called Kelly from BMR a while back, i'll try to repeat what he said, hopefully without butchering it too much.

We've established the point of the LCA is to load the rear axle via weight transfer. When parallel, it takes a good amount of weight transfer (think WOT) to fully load the axle. The LCA is basically a fulcrum though, and the more extreme you make the downward angle, the less overall weight transfer it actually takes to load the axle. If you have some so-so tires and are very quickly and heavily loading the axle, you can expect traction problems.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

That actually makes sense. Kind of lol. I definitely want it more aggressive than parallel and my car is on sportlines so the body is pretty low. I don't think I will have to worry about it being TOO aggressive. I imagine this being more of an issue on stock ride height cars.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'm pretty sure anything beyond parallel is for a pretty dedicated drag set up. I'd start with parallel for a street car just to see.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Where your suspension is now, measure from the center of the front bolt attaching the LCA to the ground...measure the rear LCA bolt center to the ground...then subtract one from the other...it will either be a positive number or negative number...as everyone has already said parallel for the street...all the way down for drag racing and in the middle for autocross etc. Also have you measured the pinion angle? As you start changing the angle of the LCA's you will also change the angle of the pinion...
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ya i do plan on getting an UCA soon.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Since you lowered your car with the same springs I put in mine your pinion angle has changed and you need to know what that angle is at every step of transforming your rear suspension...when I dropped it with the Sportlines the pinion angle changed from 0 to a -1.5 degrees and when I installed my adjustable LCA's and UCA I was able to pre-loaded chassis by adjusting the UCA/LCA's and get the pinion angle back up to -.5 degrees. I didn't bring it back to 0 degrees as I am running a poly bushing in the UCA and in the carrier bushing and don't have as much give as the rubber carrier bushing...mine was tearing and cracking with less than 8000 miles...just glad I changed it when I did.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

It appears to me that changing the angle of non-adjustable LCA's does not change the pinion angle. The relocation brackets adjustment holes should be located radially from the pivot point on the body. That means each adjustment hole should be at the exact same distance from the bodies pivot point, which would not rotate the rear end (or change pinion angle).
Old 10-15-2015, 08:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Since you lowered your car with the same springs I put in mine your pinion angle has changed and you need to know what that angle is at every step of transforming your rear suspension...when I dropped it with the Sportlines the pinion angle changed from 0 to a -1.5 degrees and when I installed my adjustable LCA's and UCA I was able to pre-loaded chassis by adjusting the UCA/LCA's and get the pinion angle back up to -.5 degrees. I didn't bring it back to 0 degrees as I am running a poly bushing in the UCA and in the carrier bushing and don't have as much give as the rubber carrier bushing...mine was tearing and cracking with less than 8000 miles...just glad I changed it when I did.
I see the majority of people tend to adjust pinion angle with the UCA and use non-adjustable LCA's.
I often wondered when and why I sometimes see references to using the LCA's to adjust pinion angle and in your case using both Upper and lower. Is that for more adjustment? Don't they both do the same thing? (Rotate the rear end to adjust pinion angle?)
Old 10-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

If you only adjust the UCA you are now putting the non-adjustable LCA's in a bind situation by pulling the top of the axle down or up...if you want the rear suspension to work it needs to be able to move, pivot and all work together...if you put one thing in a bind nothing works freely....
Old 10-15-2015, 09:13 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
If you only adjust the UCA you are now putting the non-adjustable LCA's in a bind situation by pulling the top of the axle down or up...if you want the rear suspension to work it needs to be able to move, pivot and all work together...if you put one thing in a bind nothing works freely....
Thank you. I'll have to think about that as I go to sleep tonight.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Just for future reference, I need up putting the LCA's on the lowest hole (most aggressive) and the angle is perfect with the sportline springs. Its only slightly more aggressive than parallel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT