Suspension Build - Help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2015, 11:20 PM   #1

Region: Iowa
Suspension Build - Help!

Okay guys so I'm making my full suspension build list for the 2012 mustang gt

The car is going to be a daily for about 6 months, after that it will mostly be a weekend car for cruising, friends, shows, and dragstrip 1/8 and 1/4 mile races

So far i have

BMR Adjustable Phard bar
BMR Adjustable Rear upper arms
BMR Non adjustable Rear lower arms
Eibach Ajustable sway bars

the problem i am having is
eibach sportline springs with koi shocks/struts OR

BC Racing Coilovers... Eibach Coilovers $1300 or if the Eibach R1's for $2000 are really worth it

5.0 mustang with a roush phase 1 supercharger.. right around 500-550rwhp
alenv10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 12:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Suspension Build - Help!

If you are wanting to do nothing but drag race I would just get a set of cobra jet springs or Hotchkis springs. I've run both, but like the Hotchkis more and I've cut low 1.50s with those springs, BMR control arms and a BMR extreme anti roll bar. My car isn't an all out race car because it is full weight,interior, AC, and a back seat but I have about 100rwhp more than you do and my car hooks hard with that set up. Coil overs aren't really going to help you on the drag strip at all in my opinion. They are excellent for street driving and road racing however.

I also run Koni yellows and just run them pretty stiff most of the time. It's not uncomfortable on the street and can be daily driven on if you have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #3

I think im going to do autocross at times as well. so what would you suggest for this?

from the looks of it im thinking just springs with the koni shocks would be a good fit for me, but I really do not want a raked look

I was thinking coilovers just so I can adjust easier if I need to

BC coilovers or Eibachs
I know if I do bc's I can just adjust the stiffness pretty high for the drag weekends and lower it when I drive it on streets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenv10 View Post
I think im going to do autocross at times as well. so what would you suggest for this?

from the looks of it im thinking just springs with the koni shocks would be a good fit for me, but I really do not want a raked look

BC coilovers or Eibachs
I know if I do bc's I can just adjust the stiffness pretty high for the drag weekends and lower it when I drive it on streets
I would suggest not a supercharged mustang for autocross. The suspension you want for autox is pretty dedicated, and different from what you would run on even a road course or drag strip.

Seeing as how you're wanting to do a "jack of all trades, master of none" type thing, the coils may not be a bad idea. Personally though, a decent set of adjustable shocks / struts and some proper springs will take you pretty far.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have to agree with Volt. If you not doing drag racing exclusively you want a full suspension from Roush (I only have experience with Roush) or one of the other setup suggested by the motor cross crowd on here. What you can do and what I have done over the years (but not on my current car) is disconnect the front sway bar on your drag days for a good amount of weight transfer and reconnect it for during your regular DD during the week..

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #6

i will mostly do weekend driving and straight drag racing, maybe once a year for autocross.
so best best would be good shocks/struts with springs
will the eibach sportline springs be good, i want a good stance with no rake

Thank you alot guys
Old 10-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I tell a lot people who are looking at adjustable coilovers the same way: How often do you think you're going to mess with them? Adjusting knobs on adjustable shocks / struts is a lot easier if its something you're going to mess with very periodically. I think Adjustable shocks / struts and a good set of springs will be best in your case. Im not much of a drag racer, i do more road course myself, so i cant recommend specifics but thats my general thought on things.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Auto or manual? Drag racing or auto cross?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I do street driving, drag racing and road course all the the same set up and it's pretty damn fast everywhere. Koni 5 ways, Eibach Pro Kit ( no coil overs) and FRPP sway bars. I'd recommend matching whichever springs you choose to the sway bars though. Sportlines are really too low for proper handling so think about that if handling is important. I never unhook my front sway bar at the drags although many people do and I am cutting 1.4 60 foot times. Use good control arms with good bushings and keep all the angles correct. You'll be fine.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

BC coilovers or Eibachs

The other guys have some pretty good insight for you to follow. If you wanna get serious about auto X I know a bunch of guys deep in it and it's really fun. My car isn't very good for it because I spin out in the corners but I still like trying lol. Any decent set of coilovers and some nice control arms help a lot when doing auto cross. A lot of guys like those monster sway bars and I have heard of people fabricating anti-roll bars for their cars to work with tubular K-members. Drop as much weight as possible and get a solid 1.5" lower all the way around and you'll be set. Power isn't necessarily as important on a auto cross track. Suspension and brakes are King and you will find yourself flying around cars with way more horsepower than you if you are set up to run properly. There's tons of coyote guys running NA cobra jet and boss set ups that are extremely fast in auto x

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Hi, Some times I feel the messages are too long. A famous writer once told me make it short and sweet! I have a take off GT 500 11-14 track pack suspension system, cheap 300 if you're interested. 500 mile take off. I know at times I U have to explain.
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
I do street driving, drag racing and road course all the the same set up and it's pretty damn fast everywhere. Koni 5 ways, Eibach Pro Kit ( no coil overs) and FRPP sway bars. I'd recommend matching whichever springs you choose to the sway bars though. Sportlines are really too low for proper handling so think about that if handling is important. I never unhook my front sway bar at the drags although many people do and I am cutting 1.4 60 foot times. Use good control arms with good bushings and keep all the angles correct. You'll be fine.
1.4 60 ft times.. Do what he says.^^^^

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #13

Thanks a lot fab man!

i think I'm just going to end up with koni yellows with some good springs.

what would be the best springs that lower pretty good amount and fix the rake look
Old 10-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks a lot fab man!

what would be the best springs that lower pretty good amount and fix the rake look

I like the Eibach pro kit springs but you will get a small amount of rake with it.
Personally I like the raked look so I can't advise you on springs.

Tuned by AED
Old 10-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks a lot fab man!

Koni yellows are adjustable...that's what I use to go from street to drag to road course. Just find your settings for each and write them down.

Tuned by AED

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT