School me on offsets.... (wheels) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
School me on offsets.... (wheels)

I'd like to replace my stockers (brembo) with a set of aftermarket wheels... and I'd like to keep them 19x9, however, I am finding that my options are severely limited if I stick with that size.

I don't want to roll with 20's... so my options are very limited... the most popular size below that seems to be 19x8.5 in the front and 19x10 in the rear.

However, I'm not of fan of the staggered look. (personal preference)

Are the offset numbers what allows the wheels to still be mounted "flush" like the stockers even though they have different widths?

In other words, I want the rear wheels to be sucked in a bit and the fronts to be pushed out a bit so they are flush.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I think offset has more to do with where the mounting hub is in relation to the center of the wheel. This would be important to consider not just for looks, but to make sure the rim clears the brake calipers. Spacers place the wheel out more. Too much space and you might have steering issues or worse, the tire nuts might not have enough grip and can come loose. If you wanted to get rid of the staggered look, I think spacers would work as long as the difference isn't too great. I know some people get same size wheels and add spacers to the back to achieve the staggered look. Sounds like what you want is the opposite so it should work as long as the front isn't so wide that it causes rubbing. I think 10" is too wide for the front, though. Hopefully someone can chime in and let you know for sure.
VeryVeryEvilGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Here is some stuff I was putting together, for someone else, that may be of some use to you. Here goes...

Here is one of many site talking about wheel offset.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101

The offset on Mustangs has been in the range of 35-50mm for the past 20 years. For example my V6 perf pack came with 19"x8.5" wheels with 50mm offset.
Although the offset determines the location of the wheel/tire assembly within the wheel well, the actual clearance between the Brembo brakes and the spokes of the wheel is more a function of the wheel design.
The relationship between the car's mounting hub and the edge of the brake calipers is a fixed dimension based on the cars design and the type of brakes. So the clearance required within a wheel is based on the relationship of the wheels mounting hub and the spokes of the wheel.(This distance is not a published figure.) The offset doesn't necessarily change this relationship.
What is required is a wheel designed with its spokes located to allow more clearance to the brakes. Alternately a small spacer could be used to push the entire wheel further away from the brakes. Spacers a frown upon by many and typically recommended to be kept to a minimum.

Increasing the offset of a wheel will push the wheel into the wheel well while decreasing the offset will push it towards the street side.(This may be hard for some to visualize.)
Amount of change in offset, as it impacts the manufacturers design location of the centerline of the wheel, should be kept to a minimum.

The following is a link to a site that shows and compares an existing wheel/tire setup vs. a proposed change. It plainly shows how a change in offset effects the wheels location.
Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

Found the following on another Mustang forum, as wheels that fit Brembo brakes. Don't really know how accurate it is.

All wheels on the Brembo equipped Cobras work, the Track Pack wheels from FRPP, the SVT wheels from FRPP work, the FR500 style work, Steeda Spyders.

The vendors selling the wheels should be able to tell you if they will clear Brembo brakes.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Great info. Thanks for sharing!
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Here's another one: Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

I like this one because it also gives you backspacing.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
Here's another one: Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

I like this one because it also gives you backspacing.
Funny coincidence...I just came across this same rimntires site this morning.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT