Rough idle after K&N cai install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Rough idle after K&N cai install

I installed the k&n black hawk cai on my 13 gt and it was running real rough. It smelled of gasoline and sort of sounded like it had a cam. After about 10 minutes it started stalling when I would start it up & made popping noises at the exhaust if I would try to drive it. does anybody know whats going on. My car already had the SR intake on it when I bought it but the filter was damaged so I just went ahead and bought the k&n for the looks. American muscle said this cai doesnt need a computer tune to work & I made sure everything was sealed properly after installation. Could it be because the maf sensor had some scratches on the metalic side?
silvercoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
Supporter

Did you at least unplug the battery to do a reset?
Old 10-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #3

unplugged the negative side & let it idle for 5 minutes after starting it back up with the new cai.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 11:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
1. You have an air leak somewhere. Recheck all hoses and clamps to make sure they are all the way on/in.
2. You may have damaged/contaminated the MAF when changing over.
If you find that none of the above solutions don't work. Pick up some MAF spray cleaner and carefully spray/clean the sensor. After cleaning inspect your MAF carefully.

edit: a quick look at you CAI specs say no tune required.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:04 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Take that junk off and go back to the stock intake which is superior in every way. Stop wasting your money on parts that are worst off than the factory stuff.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Take that junk off and go back to the stock intake which is superior in every way. Stop wasting your money on parts that are worst off than the factory stuff.

Sounds like he didn't get the stock intake with the purchase.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
kn air intake

check to see if the maf sensor went in backwords. the opening in the end should point away from the engine and towards the filter
eakeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
stalling

It is most likely The Maf Cold Air sensor. You either put it on backwards or you might have broke or bent a wire. Do you have your car serviced at the dealer, or quick change oil place (like Jiffy Lube in the past,or more recently! These places have a large turn around with workers. They are famous for yanking the surroundings of your car out to get at the air filter. The MAF is not the strongest part in the world.
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Do this.
I think it's so funny people waste money and TIME on CAI and then have to deal with a car that USED to run perfectly before.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Do this.

I think it's so funny people waste money and TIME on CAI and then have to deal with a car that USED to run perfectly before.

It had a CAI before. Read the thread before you guys comment.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Was the K and N a brand new filter, oiled by them? K and N owners ofter over oil the filter when they clean it, and then pollute the Mass Air Sensor with the extra oil. If there is oil on the wire inside the Mass Air section, it will indeed have your engine running as you describe. That fine wire has got to be clean for it to read the incoming amount of air passing by, and then send the signal for the correct amount of gas to go with it.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Do this.
Some ppl have no sense of adventure.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Was the K and N a brand new filter, oiled by them? K and N owners ofter over oil the filter when they clean it, and then pollute the Mass Air Sensor with the extra oil. If there is oil on the wire inside the Mass Air section, it will indeed have your engine running as you describe. That fine wire has got to be clean for it to read the incoming amount of air passing by, and then send the signal for the correct amount of gas to go with it.
Yeah brand new. I cleaned the sensor with maf sensor cleaner a day after the install, also cleaned the throttle body with crc throttle body cleaner and it was still doing the same thing. Weird thing is I reinstalled the old Sr cai that came with the car with a new filter and it still runs funny. When I come to a stop the rpm's fall to around 500ish & then go back up. I dont get it because it was running perfect before all this with a dirty and damaged filter. Other than the scratches I mentioned nothing seems to be broken on the maf sensor.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:34 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
An aftermarket cai may entail lean fuel which may result in stalling engine or "gun shots" from the exhaust pipe. This is not denying other reasons suggested above, such as air leaks, etc.
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #15
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Rough Idle

Did you get a MIL/Check engine light?
I would think that an air leak would trip an MIL
Pull the MAF and make sure the open section is facing the air filter housing.
Then, go to the manual and read and perform the idle relearn procedure.
If you are not setting a light there is probably not an air leak or the MAF in backwards.
If you don't have the manual, just do an internet search for idle relearn on your vehicle. It takes 5 minutes, but it is recommended any time you disconnect the battery.
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

1. The MAF sensor can only be installed one way
2. The K&N has the same size MAF diameter as stock, so installing it will not make you run lean.
3. The idle relearn shouldn't be needed, but it may not be a bad idea to do anyways.
4. It certainly sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Do you have any sort of datalogger or way to check your fuel trims? That will let you know in about 5 seconds what the problem is.
5. A dirty MAF sensor from an over oiled filter is possible, but OP says he cleaned it, so ill assume its clean for now.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Aftermarket grill or other type of ram air? I only ask b/c if the K&N is a more free flowing filter and air is pushed in, it could be messing with the maf sensor. Under load, no problem, gas coming in, air coming in. No load and still moving, the motor wants to idle but too much air is coming in so its trying to relearn the idle trim parameters. Idle relearn will help when not moving but once you get driving again and moving air you'll be back to stalling...if this is the problem.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quoted to add a little more sanity to this thread.

I had similar results as the OP, though not as extreme.

After moving to the K&N, the car died while stopping at a stop sign on the way out of the neighborhood.

Didn't have any of the popping noises you described though.

If I recall, it died a second time at a stop sign and that's when I went through the idle relearn method and all was great after that.

Something to note... I DO get some popping / really rough idling for a few seconds during cold starts anytime I use that Shell V-Power gas... I rarely use the Shell station around here so it's normally not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
1. The MAF sensor can only be installed one way
2. The K&N has the same size MAF diameter as stock, so installing it will not make you run lean.
3. The idle relearn shouldn't be needed, but it may not be a bad idea to do anyways.
4. It certainly sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Do you have any sort of datalogger or way to check your fuel trims? That will let you know in about 5 seconds what the problem is.
5. A dirty MAF sensor from an over oiled filter is possible, but OP says he cleaned it, so ill assume its clean for now.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Uninstall and reinstall being sure all hoses/clamps go down properly. like stated check that MAF
do this while battery ungrounded to start the relearn process.
2013GTpremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Yea, I would do a uninstall and reinstall as stated above.. Pull fuse 47 try a relearn after that, as a last resort.

Still sounds like a lean condition to me, but you would probable but not definitely get a CEL. Make sure the seal around the MAF is air tight.

Silly question but are you sure are all the hoses reconnected to the CAI tube itself?
2 if manual transmission. ( I believe )
3 if it's an automatic.

Did you perhaps Remove the SOUND air tube. Or take out the baffles in the tube.

Don't give up, you will be able to figure this out. I am finding that the are some good people on this forum that will try to help you.
Don't pay attention to the nay-sayers on here. Ignore anyone that says you wasted your money etc., Voltwing seems to be serious and positive about helping others, as are a few others. I think he has been on here a while (I haven't) and has seen a lot of problems and solutions. You can also try allfordmustangs.com for help on this

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
Don't give up, you will be able to figure this out. I am finding that the are some good people on this forum that will try to help you.
Don't pay attention to the nay-sayers on here. Ignore anyone that says you wasted your money etc., Voltwing seems to be serious and positive about helping others, as are a few others. I think he has been on here a while (I haven't) and has seen a lot of problems and solutions. You can also try allfordmustangs.com for help on this
+1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai