Rear Differential Seal Leak - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Oh not good, I will crawl under the car in the morning and look for myself. Thanks for the pic Recon. I will find another dealer too, mine is a nightmare.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Wherever you go, ask them what the torque spec is on those bolts. Make sure they realize how important it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had the same thing. Before I really did any drivetrain mods. it was about 15K if I recall correctly. I was tuned and exhaust but the dealer just fixed no question asked. For what it is worth I had a few other rear end issues after that but cant say that means they could be problematic as I have done mods on it since.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2016, 12:42 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
Wherever you go, ask them what the torque spec is on those bolts. Make sure they realize how important it is.

Good idea, I will ask them, I found another dealer, got an appointment this Tuesday 8am.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:49 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
I had the same thing. Before I really did any drivetrain mods. it was about 15K if I recall correctly. I was tuned and exhaust but the dealer just fixed no question asked. For what it is worth I had a few other rear end issues after that but cant say that means they could be problematic as I have done mods on it since.
I talked to another dealer today and told him the dealer that did my oil change said I had oil on my diff. I said there is a TSB on the diff vent so maybe that is the oil they saw. He said nope, its probably the pinion seal because he has been getting a lot of stangs with that problem. I was hoping it was gonna just be the vent leaking. Oh well, its still under warranty. By the way, I replied to you on another thread about your big mod all at once, so awesome bro.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:56 AM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans5oh View Post
I talked to another dealer today and told him the dealer that did my oil change said I had oil on my diff. I said there is a TSB on the diff vent so maybe that is the oil they saw. He said nope, its probably the pinion seal because he has been getting a lot of stangs with that problem. I was hoping it was gonna just be the vent leaking. Oh well, its still under warranty. By the way, I replied to you on another thread about your big mod all at once, so awesome bro.

Mine was the vent and it was pretty significant. Dealer gave me the updated vent tsb part and I swapped it out and it's been dry ever since.

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year 😬👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:22 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
I thought I had a pinion seal issue until I got under and found it was just the diff. Easier fix than the pinion.
PendletonCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Just left the dealer, said it was my pinion seal leaking, but said fluid was still full. He also said he ordered the pinion seal and VENT TUBE because of the TSB. Mentioned he thought the vent was getting clogged and thought that might be why the pinion seal would get the pressure built up inside then start leaking. Anyway, said will call me tomorrow when the parts come in and will change it that afternoon.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just left the dealer, said it was my pinion seal leaking, but said fluid was still full. He also said he ordered the pinion seal and VENT TUBE because of the TSB. Mentioned he thought the vent was getting clogged and thought that might be why the pinion seal would get the pressure built up inside then start leaking. Anyway, said will call me tomorrow when the parts come in and will change it that afternoon.

The way that vent leaks it looks like it is the pinion seal. I was convinced (so was the dealer) that's what was leaking on mine. I got under there and cleaned everything real good with break cleaner and drove it for a week. Sure enough it still looked the same. However...........I felt up on top of the axle where the vent was and it was covered in fluid. Dealer got me the vent tube in the TSB and all is fixed. The tech then goes and I quote "Hay Bill, do you think this was the problem on the other two that keep coming back?". They had replaced the pinion seals but they keep getting more fluid under the car.

Drago1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Geez I forgot to give an update. It was the seal leaking. They replaced it and also installed the updated vent tube, all under warranty. Only complaint I had was when I got home I looked under the diff and saw they didn't even wipe off the oil that was there from before. You would think they would wipe the rear diff clean especially after replacing the seal and vent tube, oh well at least its repaired.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had the same issue and there was no leak at all. There is a breather vent on top of the axle on the drivers side that was a poor design. It blows dif. oil out at high speeds and pressure. They have a fix for it. Costs about $20 for a new vent with a tube that attaches to the top of the dif. cover. There is a TSB for it
Old 04-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Geez I forgot to give an update. It was the seal leaking. They replaced it and also installed the updated vent tube, all under warranty. Only complaint I had was when I got home I looked under the diff and saw they didn't even wipe off the oil that was there from before. You would think they would wipe the rear diff clean especially after replacing the seal and vent tube, oh well at least its repaired.
Guess I didn't read above. I kinda wrote the same thing twice. Sorry
Old 04-12-2016, 11:08 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago1 View Post
Guess I didn't read above. I kinda wrote the same thing twice. Sorry
Yeah I was thinking ,,hey what if I don't have a seal leaking but just needed the updated vent tube. They can easily say its the seal hmpff. I was curious as to why after they did the work that I had oil still on the diff cover. Would have thought they would clean it, hmmm.. But at least they did replace the vent tube because I saw it on my car.

I see your point now, thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT