Rear Differential Seal Leak - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Rear Differential Seal Leak

Had a rear differential seal leak on a 2013 GT with 18K miles. Anyone else experience this?
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Not me, 14 GT 22k miles. But interested to know how you discovered it? Anything I should get under there and inspect on mine? Do you have an aftermarket diff cover or anything?
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Saw oil leaks on driveway and wetness on differential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If you search around a bit you'll find its fairly common for particularly the high ratio gearsets to spit out the vent a bit. Is that it or is it the main cover seal or the pinion seal that's leaking? (These are in increasing order of difficulty to repair but, none of them are heartbreak city.)

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #5

Region: Alabama
My Pinion seal started leaking on my 2014 GT track pack at 22,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jman1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Is the car lowered?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Mine too! 14 GT with 3.73. Started leaking at 20k miles. All stock suspension. It was the pinion seal. While they were working on it, there is a TSB to relocate the vent. Not a big deal, but these aren't exactly "maintenance free" cars.

jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Mine was the rear diff. pinion seal as well, 2013 GT with 18K. Inferior seal.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I had that issue at around 18k miles. There is a TSB for it. It was a pretty easy fix. They just add a small hose to the vent so it doesn't drip all over the differential.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by augusto.olmedo View Post
I had that issue at around 18k miles. There is a TSB for it. It was a pretty easy fix. They just add a small hose to the vent so it doesn't drip all over the differential.

Do you have any pic of the hose? And what part no. Is it pls? Thanks man

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Had the pinion seal go out in my 14 TrakPak at around 6000 miles. Dealer replaced it with an upgraded metal pinion seal instead of the plastic one that came on the car.
Car was lowered at 3000 miles and had full aftermarket suspension...LCA's, UCA, panhard and 1 piece drive shaft. Pinion angle is correct...not sure if they did anything to the vent tube...has been working great for the past 4000 miles.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Subscribing... I have 3:73 and have noticed my vent seems to be venting quite a bit.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1DBLITZ View Post
Subscribing... I have 3:73 and have noticed my vent seems to be venting quite a bit.
Venting? Is it leaking? To the point there will be spots in the ground.?

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
Old 10-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I noticed it too. The entire differential was damp and the left axel was damp as well. Eventually there was spots on the floor as well. I also have the 3.73 gears

Old 10-26-2015, 07:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Do you have any pic of the hose? And what part no. Is it pls? Thanks man

It might be a while till I get it to you. I'm in a training exercise (army) but just take into the dealership. They should be familiar with it.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Venting? Is it leaking? To the point there will be spots in the ground.?
It's coming from the vent on the left side of the axle. It does seem to find its way to the differential.

There are no spots on my garage floor as of yet. I do drive quite "spirited" though. I could be imagining things, but it seems to be "venting" more these days than it did originally.

I need to take it to the dealer when I find some time to get the hose put on.

BUT, I did have a 2002 F-150 that had a pinion flange that leaked. It splattered differential fluid all over the underneath of the truck. I didn't even notice until the next time I changed my engine oil.

I find it quite concerning that this problem seems to exist across multiple vehicle models.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Today after driving for an hour, I have the famous vent tube axle leaking, it's not leaking bad but you can see that it was wet in that area and maybe a drip or two in the ground. Is there an aftermarket part that will replace the vent tube? Thanks guys.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:13 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

When I changed the gear oil, I also replaced the diff cover with this aluminum finned cover that allows you to move the vent from the axle to the top of the cover.

REAR COVER | Genuine Ford | DR3Z-4033-B

Of course you need to plug the vent hole in the axle tube. Problem solved.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
When I changed the gear oil, I also replaced the diff cover with this aluminum finned cover that allows you to move the vent from the axle to the top of the cover.

Thanks Rob I have this already I got one from steeda, how do I plug the vent tube in the axle? And do I have to do anything in my steeda cover?

Old 10-31-2015, 07:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Mine had a tapped hole on the top edge. I moved the vent to that hole and plugged the tube vent hole. I had to buy a plug at a hardware store if I remember correctly.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Old 10-31-2015, 08:06 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mine had a tapped hole on the top edge. I moved the vent to that hole and plugged the tube vent hole. I had to buy a plug at a hardware store if I remember correctly.

Now I really have to pay you a visit lol since I don't think I'll do it right and it will be easier with your lift.. Please...

Old 10-31-2015, 08:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

No problem at all. Just let me know when.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:39 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No problem at all. Just let me know when.

Thanks man I really appreciate it.. I'll pm you when I can go there, I'm a little busy this weekend for my daughters birthday but I'll pm you my number. πŸ˜„

Old 11-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
factory stock suspension

The dealer did the vent tube relocate at 10,000 miles.

I am now at 19,000 miles and discovered the pinion seal slinging gear oil all over the place yesterday when installing my new GT500 axlebacks.

She's going in to Ford tomorrow for a new pinion seal.

RWSRWS
2013 GT Premium (auto) Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe & heat extractors, redline armrests, Silverhorse windows Polk/Infinity speakers, Dynamat GT500A-bcks 1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Factory Supercharged still own1938 Studebaker President still own 1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold - owned since age 11
RWSRWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSRWS View Post
factory stock suspension

The dealer did the vent tube relocate at 10,000 miles.

I am now at 19,000 miles and discovered the pinion seal slinging gear oil all over the place yesterday when installing my new GT500 axlebacks.

She's going in to Ford tomorrow for a new pinion seal.

RWSRWS
Did you have any weird noise before the pinion seal blew up?

Old 11-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

no weird noise, however a slightly noticeable rear end noise has been apparent since I got her with 6,900 miles on the clock

RWSRWS
2013 GT Premium (auto) Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe & heat extractors, redline armrests, Silverhorse windows Polk/Infinity speakers, Dynamat GT500A-bcks 1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Factory Supercharged still own1938 Studebaker President still own 1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold - owned since age 11
Old 11-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

After closer inspection of my garage floor I found fluid drips in the location of the differential.

I took it to my local Ford service center. I was concerned about a pinion seal leak as the drops on the floor were in the center.. but it turns out the fluid must have just traveled there from the left axle.

They confirmed that my vent is venting too much and they are installing the vent hose kit tomorrow.

He also mentioned the differential fluid was about an 1/8 a quart low from all the venting.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Looks like this is a common issue... I had my pinion seal changed a few months ago on my 2013 GT with 25k miles. I noticed my axle and differential were wet while changing out my axlebacks.

While fixing the pinion seal, they didn't touch my axle vent (which still appears to be leaking). I plan to take it in again to fix that.

Does anybody know if this is still an issue on the new cars?
Edd2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

This is the cover I installed on my 14 GT at about 3,600 miles. I also moved the vent to the top of the cover and put a plug in the axle tube. I have about 18,400 miles on my car and have seen no signs of a leak.

Wayne
Old 01-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Took my 2014 GT in for oil change, 19,500 miles on it. Dealer said oil on the differential and I needed to make an appointment to find out where the leak is. I have no oil on the floor so hoping its just the vent and not diff gasket or pinion seal. They said I need to bring it in 8am and drop it off incase they need to order parts. Hmmm I don't like to leave my car so I will wait. Something smells fishy with them.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:19 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

Most likely the pinion seal. Both of mine have/had the problem. Seepage in the front of the axel, after the driveshaft. Seen several 5th gens with the issue.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

mine too.

the question is:

What is the CAUSE of failure?

RWSRWS
Old 01-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Just an update on how this can work (go wrong). I had a leaking pinion seal. Pretty simple. But they over-tightened it. Bearing went out. So they replaced the rear end. But they didn't know how to set it up...
So I fired the dealership, and took it to another. They took a really close look, ended up replacing the rear end and the driveshaft.
I'm looking at Camaros and Jeeps now. Lol! No way in hell I can afford one of these post warranty.

jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Most likely the pinion seal. Both of mine have/had the problem. Seepage in the front of the axel, after the driveshaft. Seen several 5th gens with the issue.

Adventure till you drop.
I was hoping it wasn't going to be the pinion seal, no you have me thinking it will be. Geez, I don't trust and feel good about my local dealer, dont want the same thing as jd864,
Thanks for the update Recon.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post

Adventure till you drop.
I was hoping it wasn't going to be the pinion seal, no you have me thinking it will be. Geez, I don't trust and feel good about my local dealer, dont want the same thing as jd864,
Thanks for the update Recon.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:47 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1454035579.070035.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	196331
Just to give you a picture.
But don't worry about it. It's not hard to fix.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT