Axelbacks-the sound INSIDE the cabin & SHOOTOUT RESULTS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-25-2015, 07:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Axelbacks-the sound INSIDE the cabin & SHOOTOUT RESULTS

The guys on this Forum have convinced me that I need to upgrade the stock exhaust on my 5.0 auto trans GT.

Nearly all the videos provide the sound from OUTSIDE the cabin.

I am doing this for ME and am interested in the sound and feel INSIDE the cabin.

I want to be able to roll the windows down and enjoy the overall effect around town.

Equally important, no it's actually MORE important, I don't want to appreciably increase the noise INSIDE the car when the windows are rolled up, and I detest TIRE NOISE which was the main reason I got rid of my new 2004 Crossfire after 2 years.

I don't want a Lincoln, but want the best of both worlds. Guess I'm just difficult to satisfy.

when I removed the back half of the interior to install the Silverhorse Racing quarter window louvers, I thought, while I'm at it...........and added an entire box of sound deadener to the floor, pillars, sides, and the inside of the doors' outer skin. The result is a tighter, more solid feel with far less road noise.

I did this anticipating the eventual upgrade of the axelbacks.

Don't know for sure, but this should help (hopefully) with the desired result.

So it looks like I'm between the GT500 and the Ford Racing axelback as they both apparently have no drone.

I found a detailed test that shows the Ford Racing to deliver the goods for my needs better than the GT500 here:

https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Axl...arison-2011-14

Based on this info, I would choose the Ford Racing, however most of the guys on the Forum consistently rave about the GT500, and today I see the GT500 on sale for $319 which is a BIG MOTOVATOR for me to pull the trigger.

Sometimes I wish I was less anal and picky about my STUFF. Love da rumble, V-8 sound. It can be like music and sometimes it's just nice to enjoy the sounds of all the machinery, despite her being an automatic in "S" around town, I won't be rowing through the gears.

I also enjoy highway driving and the stereo when it does not have to compete with the machinery.

Gentlemen, please share and enlighten me so I may make the best decision. Ford Racing or the GT500 (please take a look at the test results INSIDE the cabin as shown on the link.)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLIES,

RWSRWS
2013 GT Premium (auto) Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe & heat extractors, redline armrests, Silverhorse windows Polk/Infinity speakers, Dynamat GT500A-bcks 1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Factory Supercharged still own1938 Studebaker President still own 1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold - owned since age 11
RWSRWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I have the GT500s on both my cars and have little to no interior noise, they rumble nice around town with NO drone. As for the Ford Racing units. I have no experience with them and must defer to those with experience.

The GT500 sound especially nice when your car is warming up..

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
I have the GT500s on both my cars and have little to no interior noise, they rumble nice around town with NO drone. As for the Ford Racing units. I have no experience with them and must defer to those with experience.

The GT500 sound especially nice when your car is warming up..
===========================================

Do they "burble, gurgle" on deceleration?

RWSRWS
2013 GT Premium (auto) Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe & heat extractors, redline armrests, Silverhorse windows Polk/Infinity speakers, Dynamat GT500A-bcks 1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Factory Supercharged still own1938 Studebaker President still own 1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold - owned since age 11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Yes
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I went with GT500 also. They burble on decel, and have just a little snarl when on the gas. It's much louder than stock, but they mellow at high RPM as to not be obnoxious. As for cabin noise, I offset the additional exhaust volume by getting rid of the sound tube. Net cabin noise: no change.
Next, when the stock perelli was worn (I had the summer version, P-zero, not the Nero), I replaced it with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. This made a very noticeable difference in cabin noise. Sync Bluetooth is usable. If I want to hear a rumble, I crack the window.
It's common for me to take my car on vacation... Maybe 2500 miles. I don't want cabin noise either. 😁👍

After those changes, I bought the Trackey. When Lopey Idle is engaged, the rumble inside the car is pretty loud. So if you want quiet and refined, avoid Lopey idle. I have the option to turn it on or off.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #6

Region: Texas
I have Borla ATAK axlebacks and they have no drone! The only time they get noisy is when you get on it. At highway speeds they are dead quit and I recently put on Mickey Thompson street tires which eliminated the tire noise and are perfect for highway driving. Hope this helps!
Don5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

WOW !

I really appreciate all the comments, suggestions and shared information from this Forum.

It wasn’t easy to make this choice without seeing/hearing/feeling it live.

Kinda like a mail order bride ! ! ! !

Based on my own goals and the opinions expressed here and on other Forums, I pulled the trigger today on the GT500.

I actually read over 200 specific product related comments from actual buyers of the GT500, posted on two different vendor websites.

Only two remaining questions ……

#1 as I’m here in high humidity Florida, should I drill a 1/16” hole at the bottom front& rear of the centerline of the can to allow for drainage of condensate?

#2 this is a white 2013 GT. Should I paint the cans semi flat black before install or leave ‘em alone?

THANK YOU ALL,

RWSRWS
Old 10-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
The GT 500's already have a drainage hole on the front part of the can at the bottom. I doubt you need more than that.

Painting them black is a personal decision. I prefer the silver look of the cans and don't mind being able to see the body of the mufflers. You might not feel the same.

I also run GT500's on my car and to me, they are the perfect loudness. Loud when I want them to be and almost quiet when just cruising.

Wayne
Old 10-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I see you already went for the GT500, good choice. I came across a lightly used set of Borla Touring axle backs at a deal I could not refuse so went that direction. I removed the intake sound tube and I believe, even with the Borlas, my interior is now quieter than when it was stock most of the time. With the windows up I can hear just hear them a bit when I get on it pretty hard, but the rest of the time no problem listening to talk radio or having a conversation in the cabin. Rolling down the widows lets that sweet sound come in a bit better when I want to hear it.

I don't get much burbling and popping on deceleration with the Ford Racing Pro-Cal tune installed, just kind of a smooth even growl. There was much more of the popping and burbling with the stock tune however.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I have the roush axelbacks, no drone at all at any rpms. With the windows up you can hear them but not in an annoying way where its buzzing in the back of your head. Can't even hear them when talking inside with the windows up. Windows down you can hear them but again they don't give you a headache. I was in my cousin's car who has some cheap mufflers and damn it drones like crazy, the sound keeps buzzing in the back of your head and gives u a headache. I also had the touring before the roushes, they were quiet and perfect for a while but I soon wanted to be louder lol.
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
go with Borla. Loud outside but no drone whatsoever on highway and when cruising
weiyuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

putting a bean bag chair in my trunk and deleting the intake sound tube cut down on the drone a lot with my Outlaws. no more booming rattling my brain. only downside is i need to get a quieter setup before i install my Pypes cat deletes
d1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The sound deadener under the back seat, on the sides, inside the front doors and in the trunk really rocks.

PLUS the music is REALLY GOOD !!!

pix below.

RWSRWS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1671.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	193326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1647.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	193327  

Name:	IMG_1660.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	193328  
Old 11-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
My 14 has a good dose of extra deadener in the trunk over my 12. The fender skins have it on the inside, for example. Notably more than the previous car.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSRWS View Post
The sound deadener under the back seat, on the sides, inside the front doors and in the trunk really rocks.

pix below.

RWSRWS

The real question: How do you like the GT500's? Are they too loud/too quiet, or meet your goal?

Old 11-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

as most have posted here, they are quite AMAZING.

as moat have posted here, and I agree, this is the system that should have been there FROM THE FACTORY on EVERY GT - period, case closed.

The factory system is more like a ...........(embarrassed) ......... ok I'll say it....... like a Lincoln.

these are no different under cruise than the factory mufflers...... till you step on it, then she COMES ALIVE !

If you want to wake up the neighborhood, these are NOT for you.

If you want a really classy, balzy, testosterone-like deep mellow hair on the chest sound without being obnoxious...........

THIS IS IT ! ! ! ! !

simply amazing icing on the cake. Now she sounds as good as she looks !

RWSRWS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2212.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	193333   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2106.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	193334  

Name:	IMG_1779.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	918.5 KB
ID:	193335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1802.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	193336  

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	917.5 KB
ID:	193337  
Old 11-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well said! That's how I feel too. They announce the throbbing V8, but no annoyance at all.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well said! That's how I feel too. They announce the throbbing V8, but no annoyance at all.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:11 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

pix below.

RWSRWS

Where did you buy your sound deadening material from ?

Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:52 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

amazon

it comes in a box of 9 sheets

when you put it in the doors your stereo will sound like a million bucks.

road noise reduced

heres a link:

Amazon.com: Dynamat 10455 18" x 32" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Bulk Pack, (Set of 9): Automotive

RWSRWS
Old 11-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
amazon

it comes in a box of 9 sheets

when you put it in the doors your stereo will sound like a million bucks.

road noise reduced

heres a link:

Amazon.com: Dynamat 10455 18" x 32" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Bulk Pack, (Set of 9): Automotive

RWSRWS

Cool! Thank you

Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Car looks good man white or red is the way to go!!!. Love the gt420 badge lol good choice. I'm gonna try my outlaws matched to a of/r-h and see how bad it is. I love the way the outlaws sound now not to loud for me but def let's you know I'm coming lol. But part of my sees me selling the FL-outlaws and buying the 500's. I want the outlaw sounds without the drone but power with going off road ahhhh the choices lol.

insidious_ruin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT