Driveshaft clunk - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Driveshaft clunk

Is the only way to get rid of this while shifting is by getting a one piece driveshaft?

I'm also looking for a complete solution for the shifter being all notchy while shifting on turns. I have the following slotted down:

Mgw race spec shifter
White line bushing
McLeod clutch line

Anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Good trans fluid will also help smooth things out. Not much, but every little bit helps.

Now are you referring to clunking or the vibration we get sometimes with the stock setup? Usually heavy vibration when decelerating and such.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
my biggest improvement was motor mounts. Bad news kinda a pita and increased NVH. It still was my fav improvement. Mine is still notchy from 1-2 esp but I'm happy. The mounts helped me from getting blocked esp at hard accel and in turns.
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm can you link what you used?

Old 10-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

JHR HARDCORE BILLET ADJUSTABLE MUSTANG MOTOR MOUNT KIT 2005-2011 - Groove Automation Inc

these are what I used in my 2012 V6 (V6/V8 same) for me it was the biggest improvement in blocking issues. I've done MGW (did a shifter mount first) clutch line (no difference noted) fluid (helped notchy some). I went to MGW after finding one used at a good price. The other thing that helped me was concentrating on learning tight gates and to use centering spring. I think they helped because of the tight L/R gates any movement of the engine/tranny would throw off my shifting. My only warning is there is a good bit more NVH

If you go do them I have hints from the install on my V6. Simple wrenching but pain to get OEM's out.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all this. that'll be my first step then.

Was NVH bothering? I have music or the top down all the time usually.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

I'm OK with it but it's a subjective thing. The only real bad bit is with the V6 and it's dual mass flywheel is when that starts it's decel vibration (Google dual mass fly if ya don't know) it feels like mild rumble strips. It made my various rattles worse but it's not a Camary.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I'm OK with it but it's a subjective thing. The only real bad bit is with the V6 and it's dual mass flywheel is when that starts it's decel vibration (Google dual mass fly if ya don't know) it feels like mild rumble strips. It made my various rattles worse but it's not a Camary.
Yea next year I will probably get the Spec clutch and flywheel because of this. and may pick up a 1 piece driveshaft while I am at it.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Kustum, note this has nothing to do with drive-line clunk.....
Old 10-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Its different on an auto, but for me the one-piece driveshaft reduced NVH for me.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:02 PM   #11
Kevin.Cook

Sometimes Pinion Angel being slightly off can cause a clunk. I had the 1 piece driveshaft installed on my 2014 Auto. Stock suspension. I got a clunk going into Reverse. I got my 3.73 gears installed and the tech adjusted the pinion angle, and that clunk is gone.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Your car is an '07 V6, and your just now noticing the clunk? I would start by rotating the drive shaft by hand and hearing where the clunk actually is coming from, At your cars age I would pay particular attention to my U joints.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Sometimes Pinion Angel being slightly off can cause a clunk. I had the 1 piece driveshaft installed on my 2014 Auto. Stock suspension. I got a clunk going into Reverse. I got my 3.73 gears installed and the tech adjusted the pinion angle, and that clunk is gone.
Did you have to buy an aftermarket part to adjust your pinion angle like the upper control arm? And what kind of shop would adjust pinion angle? Thanks man.

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Did you have to buy an aftermarket part to adjust your pinion angle like the upper control arm? And what kind of shop would adjust pinion angle? Thanks man.

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... ������ ������
Wow that car looks bad *** from the description on your signature

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
Wow that car looks bad *** from the description on your signature
Thanks I think I'm all done modding this car just trying to keep up with it but yeah thanks man..

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe related, do you guys ever have issues pulling it out of gear wen driving? Sometimes it'll be super smooth for me and it'll go out of gear easy but other times I'll have to pull relatively hard.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustumb View Post
Maybe related, do you guys ever have issues pulling it out of gear wen driving? Sometimes it'll be super smooth for me and it'll go out of gear easy but other times I'll have to pull relatively hard.

And by the above I'm not saying pulling it out of gear to neutral specifically. That and/or shifting.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Bump

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT