Looking for just a little more... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2015, 01:02 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1
Looking for just a little more...

I'll make my introduction here rather quick. Purchased a deep impact blue 2013 5.0 about 5 months ago and the car currently has about 33k on the clock. It's an automatic transmission and the only mods so far on the car are a roush axleback exhaust, resonator delete, jlt cai, and a jlt oil separator.

Primarily this car is a mix between my daily driver as well as play toy at the local strip. My commute to work from my house is less than 15 minutes so I'm not overly concerned with gas mileage though I dont want to absolutely murder it (Im not sure how accurate the screen is but it hovers around 22 mpg currently which I consider very fair.) The biggest concern for me right now is keeping the car as reliable as possible.

The few mods that I do have actually came on the car when I purchased it and it seems to pull very strong (would have no problem taking the 99 Lightning that I traded in for it even though I do miss it from time to time) but I want a little more out of it. I was considering upgrading from the stock 3.15 gears to 3.73s and have been doing alot of research. I've read the formulas, theories, etc across multiple forums but when it comes down to it, actual owners with automatics and 3.73s (even 4.10s) seem to be pleased with them. As I mentioned above, the one thing that I would really like to keep in tact is the overall reliability of the car. I do understand that at highway speeds, all else equal, the car will run at higher rpms as well as use slightly more gas but over time, is this anything that I should be worried about? I've read a couple stories about whines and other horrors but I wouldnt think something like gears is something I should really be afraid of. Before anyone asks, I'm not too interested in 4.10s. I definitely dont fear the gear and bet its a blast from take off but just believe the 3.73s will be a more balanced fit (plus spinning doesnt win races.) Even the stock 3.15s feel stout but I'd just like something a little more.

Another route I was considering taking was a tune but a question I have about this is how do I know if my car already has a tune on it and if so exactly from who? From my understanding, the jlt cai "requires" a tune but buying the car secondhand, I have no way of knowing exactly what work the previous owner performed except what I can physically see. Just dont want to risk wasting money buying a tune if it already has one on it (knowing my luck, I'd buy the one the car already has...) If I were to go this route, I believe that I would go the AED route solely because I have an automatic (truth be told, I wanted a manual and when I saw the ad online about this one, the ad listed manual but when I got there, turns out it was auto but they gave me a deal I couldnt walk away from)

And I do understand that I have to "pay to play" as they say and understand that either route (or anything taking the car from stock for that matter) is more than likely going to risk something dependability wise but for a little more oomph, Im willing to take the risk on smaller mods like these. Any suggestions would be appreciated. For the record, I'm new to the coyote 5.0 engines but not from Fords. I've had a '93 Thunderbird Super coupe (first car), '99 Cobra, '99 Lightning. The current "Ford stable" includes of course the '13 GT as well as my project 1964 econoline pickup I'll post about in a different section once I get it back up and running.
byronsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-31-2015, 01:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elmendorf
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,322
Your best bet is doing weight reduction modifications. Outside of going full bolt one you are not going to get much further along then you would be now. You could get an off-road midpipe but then you have to worry about emissions depending on where you live. Weight reduction will make your car faster, and don't affect daily drive ability. Things like lighter wheels, driveshaft, seat delete etc etc make a big difference.

I have a manual with 3:73s and its way too much gear. My good friend has a auto which is supercharged also but he has 3:15 gears and his car is a dig racing monster. He runs consistent mid 10s at the track on a stock motor, trans, exhaust and a supercharger. I am sure 3:73s would be great for scooting around town but there are a ton of other mods you can do and get that "more out of it" that you are looking for. I personally felt my car was a lot faster when I did all the suspension. Then again my build is a bit crazier than most anyone's but it made a huge difference. I couldn't imagine it wouldn't be the same for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Switching to 3.73's will result in zero performance gain. You'd be wasting your money for nothing. Go with a converter. And your car has to have a tune since it has a JLT intake.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-31-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: salem
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 384
I have a 14 GT. Tune ,yes! Gear change,NO!!!! Lots of great tunes out there. I have a Bama V2. Excellent bang for the buck.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,976
Definitely you would know it if you had a tune. The stock throttle response and shift calibrations sound like what you describe. I had an MT and trust me, I frickin' love the auto. The car is totally different with it, so much more solid, planted, no noises and no handling, traction and shifting flaws that need to be addressed immediately.

There are several reputable auto tuners out there. You mention AED but, there is also VMP, Steeda, Mike Rousch as well known examples with proven results.

If you just want more engine snap with strong bottom end torque, there is always the FRPP Procal. It doesn't do much for the automatic but, really perks up the engine for street driving.

Personally, I chose VMP.
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.42 at 120.64

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Billgluckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Gluckman
Region: Other
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by byronsvt View Post
I'll make my introduction here rather quick. Purchased a deep impact blue 2013 5.0 about 5 months ago and the car currently has about 33k on the clock. It's an automatic transmission and the only mods so far on the car are a roush axleback exhaust, resonator delete, jlt cai, and a jlt oil separator.

Primarily this car is a mix between my daily driver as well as play toy at the local strip. My commute to work from my house is less than 15 minutes so I'm not overly concerned with gas mileage though I dont want to absolutely murder it (Im not sure how accurate the screen is but it hovers around 22 mpg currently which I consider very fair.) The biggest concern for me right now is keeping the car as reliable as possible.

The few mods that I do have actually came on the car when I purchased it and it seems to pull very strong (would have no problem taking the 99 Lightning that I traded in for it even though I do miss it from time to time) but I want a little more out of it. I was considering upgrading from the stock 3.15 gears to 3.73s and have been doing alot of research. I've read the formulas, theories, etc across multiple forums but when it comes down to it, actual owners with automatics and 3.73s (even 4.10s) seem to be pleased with them. As I mentioned above, the one thing that I would really like to keep in tact is the overall reliability of the car. I do understand that at highway speeds, all else equal, the car will run at higher rpms as well as use slightly more gas but over time, is this anything that I should be worried about? I've read a couple stories about whines and other horrors but I wouldnt think something like gears is something I should really be afraid of. Before anyone asks, I'm not too interested in 4.10s. I definitely dont fear the gear and bet its a blast from take off but just believe the 3.73s will be a more balanced fit (plus spinning doesnt win races.) Even the stock 3.15s feel stout but I'd just like something a little more.

Another route I was considering taking was a tune but a question I have about this is how do I know if my car already has a tune on it and if so exactly from who? From my understanding, the jlt cai "requires" a tune but buying the car secondhand, I have no way of knowing exactly what work the previous owner performed except what I can physically see. Just dont want to risk wasting money buying a tune if it already has one on it (knowing my luck, I'd buy the one the car already has...) If I were to go this route, I believe that I would go the AED route solely because I have an automatic (truth be told, I wanted a manual and when I saw the ad online about this one, the ad listed manual but when I got there, turns out it was auto but they gave me a deal I couldnt walk away from)

And I do understand that I have to "pay to play" as they say and understand that either route (or anything taking the car from stock for that matter) is more than likely going to risk something dependability wise but for a little more oomph, Im willing to take the risk on smaller mods like these. Any suggestions would be appreciated. For the record, I'm new to the coyote 5.0 engines but not from Fords. I've had a '93 Thunderbird Super coupe (first car), '99 Cobra, '99 Lightning. The current "Ford stable" includes of course the '13 GT as well as my project 1964 econoline pickup I'll post about in a different section once I get it back up and running.
I wouldn't do 3.73's if want to go faster at the track, especially if you're running street tires. If you're looking for a little more hp, an off road mid pipe and tune (lund) did wonders for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Switching to 3.73's will result in zero performance gain. You'd be wasting your money for nothing. Go with a converter. And your car has to have a tune since it has a JLT intake.
I bet I know the answer, but did you ever try to launch your car on street tires with the converter? I have a stock car other than tune and exhaust and as far as I'm concerned there aren't any other mods worth the money besides a converter but I'm thinking it's useless on my stock pirellis.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jvibe92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 464
Does anybody know what Ford commands Lamba for the car? Cause couldn't he do a quick datalog and if it's at .82-.83 then it can confirm a tune?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,976
WAY too inaccurate that. Commanded lambda will have a range determined by environmental conditions, engine condition and performance and feedback from sensors.

Trust me, if you have a tune on this car, you'll know it. the stock tune is really soft down low, has rev hang if you are a manual car (skip shift if you are 11-12) and mushy drive by wire calibration. ANY tune from anybody fixes that stuff up right away.
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.42 at 120.64

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgluckman View Post
I bet I know the answer, but did you ever try to launch your car on street tires with the converter? I have a stock car other than tune and exhaust and as far as I'm concerned there aren't any other mods worth the money besides a converter but I'm thinking it's useless on my stock pirellis.
Yes the stock tires will be useless. With a converter you would need a good drag radial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvibe92 View Post
Does anybody know what Ford commands Lamba for the car? Cause couldn't he do a quick datalog and if it's at .82-.83 then it can confirm a tune?
The car wouldn't run with that JLT intake unless it has a tune. It looks like he bought the car and didn't get the tuner with it which means he's now screwed royally.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlackBetty2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South KIngstown
Region: Rhode Island
Posts: 126
He's not screwed. The tune on it now can be pulled and stored on any hand held tuner, rendering it the "stock" tune. He just can't sell off and return to stock before selling. Any tune he puts on now with a new tuner will work fine. I'm in the EXACT same boat with buying a used car without the hand held tuner, and numerous conversations with several different tuners said I (and he) are fine.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BlackBetty2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
robb15033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 2,109
Go with a set of Ford Racing 3.73 gears, 3.90 are available, just make sure they are not already installed on the car.
Might not be priority one but get them in there. Gear installation is done by only the best tech's in the area that work on Mustangs only (Not FORD).
Congrats!! Have Fun!!!
__________________
'97 3.8L V6
Pacific Green
1996 SVT Cobra White
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
k1DBLITZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bixby
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 269
I'm surprised by the number of people dismissing gears. I also disagree that there is no performance gain with gears. You will notice an immediate increase in acceleration.

I couldn't imagine my car without gears. It definitely wouldn't be the beast that is without them. (3:73's) It pulls like a monster, even at highway speeds.

I've always bought stangs with manual transmissions so I can't comment on how gears would be with an auto, but I imagine it's even funner because you don't have to shift like a madman yourself.

I average 22mpg highway only and 18-19 mixed city/highway.
__________________
2014 Mustang GT Premium (deep impact blue)
Too many mods to fit in my sig.
Follow my build list on my blog. (still updating mods installed so far)
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,976
I think gears might give a false sense of additional power on the road because it'd be very aggressive in reaction to throttle inputs but when you really try to make it put power down, the advantage is lost because it'll just incinerate the tires and first gear will be absolutely useless.

...sticking wit the 3.15s.....
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.42 at 120.64

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winter Haven
Region: Florida
Posts: 407
I would do rear suspension so you get better traction as well as some weight reduction

Sent from my SM-N920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: .
Region: Michigan
Posts: 77
Exactly, switching will be no performance gain, but it does changes the gear shifting time and will have a bit of difference on track.
weiyuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by weiyuhan View Post
Exactly, switching will be no performance gain, but it does changes the gear shifting time and will have a bit of difference on track.
It will make it worst due to the shift into 4th before you cross the stripe.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: .
Region: Michigan
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
It will make it worst due to the shift into 4th before you cross the stripe.
Yes that's what i heard from others too.
weiyuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,258
I have got PM from people saying I was on that list at one point lol.


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
TCopp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: KCMO
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,260
Get a wang, better downforce = more fast.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Waylap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: US
Region: New Hampshire
Posts: 820
And some stickers, like NOS, K&N, BAMA and a shorty antenna. Easily +20 HP right there and you'll feel it in your seat.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jvibe92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 464
The shorty antenna save a few grams of weight


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #22
Senior Member
Supporter
 
Spartanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: League City
Region: Texas
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvibe92 View Post
The shorty antenna save a few grams of weight


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Aerodynamic as well! Ha
__________________
MT-82 hate.
Spartanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:40 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Um not to mention the shorty antenna looks a million times better. Why ford couldn't delete the damn antenna to begin with is beyond me.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:08 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jvibe92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 464
It's still up in the air to me. Something about the shorty antenna looks like a little nub


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #25
Senior Member
Supporter
 
Spartanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: League City
Region: Texas
Posts: 466
Keeping my stock antenna...
__________________
MT-82 hate.
Spartanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A little more 94GTpony 1979-1995 Mustang GT 13 08-25-2012 07:55 AM
New wheels and tires and a little more Sick98Stang Pictures and Videos 26 07-22-2011 11:11 AM
(ABS) and a little bit more help please Kingkong707 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 0 01-05-2011 09:49 PM
Which car just makes you want it just by looking at it? ashbbie Classic Mustangs 8 08-20-2009 12:41 PM
A little more. Dom Mustang Audio & Video 4 07-17-2004 10:54 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:47 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.