Sprintbooster is awesome - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Sprintbooster is awesome

Read reviews on Sprint Booster or Speed Booster and decided to finally shell out a few bucks and I must say it totally worth it. This is the way this car should have rolled out from the factory. It feels as though I am no longer towing a boat or when I have to overtake a car I can do it without hesitation.

So I got 93 octane tune and and sprint booster causes tires to burn out so easily it is like a brand new car and fun to drive. It actually forces me back into the seat. The only negative thing is I will burn more gas but isn't that why I have a mustang?? Gears 1-4 have plenty of pick up. 5th gear is even great and 6th gear is improved. Even the engine sounds meaner with stock exhaust. Get it if you want to remove almost all of the drive-by-wire system!!
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2016, 10:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I see this is now available at American Muscle. I'm very tempted to try it. Thanks for your review blmustang.

I'd be interested if anyone else has tried it. And, if you (blmustang) see the effects diminish over time because of adaptive learning please post your experience.

I'm seriously considering trying this. I might just buy it. If I do I'll post my results.
InfinibandGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 12:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Does this involve getting a tune?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It's just changing the way your drive by wire accelerator works. No tune is needed. It would work with a tune. The ECU is not in the equation.

It won't increase horsepower. Just changes the drivability of the car.

This is what I have read. A lot of stuff out there on google and YouTube that sounds great. It could all be BS.

This is why I want to hear more from someone that has it on their car.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

blmustang has been posting for over a year on different subjects so I don't think he is a shill for this product. I'd like to hear more about his experience.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm, this might be a problem:

ITEMS IN YOUR CART CONFLICT WITH CALIFORNIA'S CARB LAWS
It is illegal to install an aftermarket part that alters or modifies the original design or performance of the motor vehicle pollution control system unless the part has an executive order from CARB. Installation of parts which are not CARB-approved on a pollution controlled vehicle in the state of California may result in the DMV revoking the vehicle registration and title, refusing the transfer of registration, and/or the vehicle failing smog inspection. Law enforcement may cite you for the use of an illegal aftermarket part and seize your title and license plate.

AFFECTED PRODUCTS:
Sprint Booster Power Converter (05-16 All) - $299.99
Old 03-23-2016, 01:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

After seeing that, since I live in California the nanny state, you're damn right I'm going to buy it. Sold.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:17 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I assume this just makes the throttle either more responsive or twitchy depending on how you word it. I've drive cars that had a very sensitive throttle (a cheap trick to make them feel powerful) and didn't like it. i've never driven this so idk but I'd skip it.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I tried this and it was ok but it kept making my car go into limp mode everytime I drove it so I sent it back...
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It's a scalar box for throttle input. You put in x degrees at pedal and you get x+y at the plate.

This product has a market but, for another hundred you can get an X4 with three tunes from any reputable vendor and really deal with the problem at its source.

I get some are leery about tuning and all and for them, something like this might make them happy.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have a tune (auto). I'm happy with the way it changed the shift schedule.

The throttle still sucks. I question whether the potentiometer on the petal opens up the throttle body to max. I suppose I could test it with a volt meter if I knew the parameters.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Waste of money. There is no point to mess with the TB at all. If you want to modify drive-ability get a tune not something that changes WOT and other throttle thresholds only. Because if you are going to do that, you should take advantage of a tune's ability to also change fuel and spark to compliment your TB thresholds.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have a tune. Read above.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinibandGT View Post
I have a tune. Read above.
Was a general response, not calling you out.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 03-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe your tune needs a specific adjustment. I've had Procal and VMP and both had absolutely wicked throttle response, no rev hang, nothing nasty at all as far as that goes. If yours is still stock-tune soft, it might be needing a tweak. Whose tune is it?

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 03-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

@shatterpoints: I didn't take it that way. I'm not offended. I hope I didn't offend you.

I have a v2 Bama tune. Made a huge difference in my 2014 GT auto.

In the past I had a procal in a 2012 GT manual. Didn't do much. Switched to a Bama tune, much better.

All butt dyno.

I'm going to try this thing. See what it does. I'll post my experience. If it's crap, have a good laugh.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
@shatterpoints: I didn't take it that way. I'm not offended. I hope I didn't offend you.

I have a v2 Bama tune. Made a huge difference in my 2014 GT auto.

In the past I had a procal in a 2012 GT manual. Didn't do much. Switched to a Bama tune, much better.

All butt dyno.

I'm going to try this thing. See what it does. I'll post my experience. If it's crap, have a good laugh.
Nope, all good. What this product is going to do is modify the WOT threshold. Obviously it's not writing to any of the tables in the ecu. But it's going to change which spark tables are evaluated. I'd be interested to see how much timing up top gets pulled as a result.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

As someone commented, all this does is change the throttle angle opened per throttle angle requested.

I tune turbo 4 cylinders (for fun, not professionally) and i do this on all the big turbo cars to not make them seem so "laggy." Basically when you push the pedal down 10%, i can command the throttle body to open 20, 25, 30... really anything. Makes the cars feel a lot more peppy, and that's really all that is happening here. I could see this being a problem without a tune because throttle position is often referenced for several tables and this may not play nicely if the signal is being "piggybacked" or "altered." Just my thoughts.

I attached a photo of my tune for reference. I have a mazdaspeed3, fully bolted, stock turbo, and they can be twitchy things since they're so small and spool so fast, so you'll see mine is actually subdued a little bit. It could easily be done in any way shape or fashion. Obviously things like wastegate duty cycle and ignition, vvt come into play as well but you get the jist of it; its not hard to just make the car feel faster by playing with the throttle application.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	APP.PNG
Views:	84
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	198683  
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
As someone commented, all this does is change the throttle angle opened per throttle angle requested.

I tune turbo 4 cylinders (for fun, not professionally) and i do this on all the big turbo cars to not make them seem so "laggy." Basically when you push the pedal down 10%, i can command the throttle body to open 20, 25, 30... really anything. Makes the cars feel a lot more peppy, and that's really all that is happening here. I could see this being a problem without a tune because throttle position is often referenced for several tables and this may not play nicely if the signal is being "piggybacked" or "altered." Just my thoughts.

I attached a photo of my tune for reference. I have a mazdaspeed3, fully bolted, stock turbo, and they can be twitchy things since they're so small and spool so fast, so you'll see mine is actually subdued a little bit. It could easily be done in any way shape or fashion. Obviously things like wastegate duty cycle and ignition, vvt come into play as well but you get the jist of it; its not hard to just make the car feel faster by playing with the throttle application.
Yea, not enough is known about this thing. I'd wager that it doesn't change so much as to require a tune. It definitely wont help performance. There really is not benefit to running it. Even more so on a FI application as you've pointed out.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 03-24-2016, 04:03 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

My last non Mustang was a full bolt MS3 turbo on stock KO4 as well. That little SOB tried to kill me every day. I was spinning the little pinner in there so hard I watched centre section temps more than the rev counter. Perversely fun in its own way be it would shock the **** out of people who always thought it was just a chick hatchback.

Good times but glad to be back with rwd....
Old 03-24-2016, 05:25 AM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
Yea, not enough is known about this thing. I'd wager that it doesn't change so much as to require a tune. It definitely wont help performance. There really is not benefit to running it. Even more so on a FI application as you've pointed out.
but if it increases sensitivity of the butt dyno it's good!
Old 03-24-2016, 04:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Hmm, this might be a problem:

ITEMS IN YOUR CART CONFLICT WITH CALIFORNIA'S CARB LAWS
It is illegal to install an aftermarket part that alters or modifies the original design or performance of the motor vehicle pollution control system unless the part has an executive order from CARB. Installation of parts which are not CARB-approved on a pollution controlled vehicle in the state of California may result in the DMV revoking the vehicle registration and title, refusing the transfer of registration, and/or the vehicle failing smog inspection. Law enforcement may cite you for the use of an illegal aftermarket part and seize your title and license plate.

AFFECTED PRODUCTS:
Sprint Booster Power Converter (05-16 All) - $299.99
The good thing is, noone really knows its installed.

The product is great for someone who doesn't want to tune their car for warranty or other reasons.

It makes the car feel faster & more powerful, but it is not.

Many cars that have a "Sport" mode or button from the factory also do this same exact trick. For MPG, etc... car manufacturers make the throttle response a little delayed and soft by default, b/c accelerating fast is what sucks up all the gas... & lowers MPG.

Anyway, IF you don't want to tune your car, its a good product.

If you're already tuned its just going to make your throttle even more responsive, but that could be done with the tune. And usually already is done.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:07 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I'm a pretty old dude. All of my cars used to be GM rear wheel drive V8s. Push rods and carburetors.

Once I got a family I started driving front wheel drive Japanese cars. They are like driving a bumper car. They feel like you should be able to spin the steering wheel 180 degrees to for reverse.

Back in a rear wheel drive is awesome. I love the tech in these new Ford engines. The under hood connectors for gas line, vacuum, hydraulics, exhaust are foolproof. Putting axle backs on was a pleasure. No crappy U clamps for the exhaust. Everything just fits, no hacking.

I used to hate ford. I worked on them in the 80s and they suffered from the emission standards imposed by the government that the US car market was not ready for. I once worked on an LTD wagon, only around 50,000 miles. Had so much carbon buildup in the engine that it would not stop running. It was like a diesel. It had an automatic transmission and you could put it in gear with the ignition off and drive it around the parking lot.

I'm going to try this thing. To me it's like changing the linkage on a carburetor. Only this promises that you can change the linkage between three different geometries by pushing a button. It might suck, I'll let you know.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I run the Sprint Booster on my 14 GT with automatic and it does seem to make a difference in how the car feels off idle. It is more responsive. At higher RPMs, it is not that noticible.

It has three settings but I always keep mine at 100% and I removed the cable and switch that change the settings.

I run this because I don't want to run a tune. My warranty is still important to me. I'm happy with how it performs so I will keep it on the car.

Wayne
Old 03-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

You can just pop this thing out if you have to take it in for warranty work ever, right? Additional boxes will create conversations you don't need to have.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 03-26-2016, 01:02 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
You can just pop this thing out if you have to take it in for warranty work ever, right? Additional boxes will create conversations you don't need to have.
Yes, it can be removed, but if you don't have the wire/box for changing settings they probably won't even notice it.

Its not a like a tune that can be detected with the OBDC port hooked up, etc.

I knew a few people that had them installed on their Porsche's since tuning is a much bigger deal to do on them for a multitude of reasons.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:28 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I get the no obd detection thing but, I got questions about my old Dashhawk when I went in for the trans replacement under warranty. One just doesn't want to give them any excuses to make the process of a warranty claim more difficult.

****, when I wrecked my 2012, the insurance company gave me grief because the X3 tuner was in the car. I left it there because it was smashed. I told them the car wouldn't run without a tune bc it was supercharged. They called it "speed testing equipment" and demanded to drop the black box data out of the car to try and find evidence to deny coverage. I told them there was nothing they'd find that wasn't self-evident and that I'd admitted to: I opened the throttle too hard, lost control of the car and wrecked. They cooled off after a bit more difficult negotiating and some lawyering up and paid the claim but, you see my point?

Old 03-26-2016, 09:12 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Without the little box to change the settings mounted somewhere in sight, you will not know this thing is installed unless you get on your back under the dash and look at the top of the accelerator pedal to see the Sprintbooster plugged in.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:36 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

The device would be detectable inferentially, even if not visibly, easily. If they download the black box data in the event of a wreck it would show throttle position commanded and actual and the scalar value would be under actual. This might give them pause for further visual inspection, fwiw.

Unless you were at WOT at the time of the wreck....

I'm being paranoid, I know.....

Old 03-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
The device would be detectable inferentially, even if not visibly, easily. If they download the black box data in the event of a wreck it would show throttle position commanded and actual and the scalar value would be under actual. This might give them pause for further visual inspection, fwiw.

Unless you were at WOT at the time of the wreck....

I'm being paranoid, I know.....
Sounds like you're talking about if the throttle response was changed via tune?

This thing is non invasive. It basically just tricks the car in to thinking your foot/pedal is pressed down further and faster than you actually did.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Throttle response is driven in a tune by far more than just throttle angle.

I am saying that the throttle angle, actual and commanded, are two of the things the data recorder records.

I don't think an insurer would be able to draw a pejorative conclusion from that though, very likely, unless they'd already decided to.

On that tangent, what bothers me is that we have just willingly surrendered our privacy and individual liberty to corporations and nobody seems concerned.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:24 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Here's my report:

I've driven it for a week. The throttle response is definitely better. Puts you back in the seat off the line. I'm keeping it. This is combined with a Bama 2.0 auto tune. The butt dyno is happy.

It does nothing for top-end in the power band. I wasn't expecting anything there.

For the street I think it adds more fun for an auto.

I don't think I would have put this on my 2012 GT manual.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I'm still happy with mine.

Wayne
Old 04-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. If you like throttle response you should try a Lund tuned big oval throttle body... .
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #35
Staff

Regular
Staff

Infini,

I assume the tune was there before and this is just the Sprint improvement...glad ya like it. thx for update.

related question: do tunes do away with the "adaptive tuning" that comes with the AT's?

curiosity only
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT