Spark blowout question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona
Spark blowout question

I am going to the growing pains of having my 2011 GT tuned. I had a previous thread about how to datalog, but the eTuner sent me a log to lock it into 4th gear to run a pull on the dyno.

While I wait to get clarifications on my questions regarding the data; I figure I ask for other opinions. Overall symptoms: Loss of power after 6250 RPM. Peaks at 500HP and then falls off to 400HP at 7000 RPM.

1) I was told I still have spark plug blowout at high RPM. I recently had NGK's installed (3 weeks ago) and gapped to 0.030". Should I gap them to 0.028"?

2) I was also told the data appears to show I am running out of fuel at this time too and this is unrelated to the spark blow out issue.

Any ideas of where to look for the possible loss of fuel? I am still on the stock pump. Injectors have been upgraded to 47lbs, stock fuel rails, and stock COPs.

I also asked these same questions to my eTuner (VMP) and where in the data I can look myself and ultimately take to a local tuner to give them a heads up.
FirstGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You can hear and feel spark blow out most times, its typically a very audible cut in power and sound. I feel like 500 whp is hardly starting from scratch on this platform ... the recipe has been done over and over and over, there really shouldnt be any guess work involved.

That being said, what is your full set up, including max boost you are seeing?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
You can hear and feel spark blow out most times, its typically a very audible cut in power and sound. I feel like 500 whp is hardly starting from scratch on this platform ... the recipe has been done over and over and over, there really shouldnt be any guess work involved.

That being said, what is your full set up, including max boost you are seeing?
I don't notice anything violent; however, the other day I did feel a slight vibration from my steering wheel as the CEL was flashing indicating a misfire.

Before the new spark plug install, the loss of power was abrupt and I could hear, what I would say sounded like a bunch of mechanical relays switching on and off. I know that is not the case, but that is how I would describe the sound.

I presume it was knock. Very audible. This sound and feel is gone, save for slight vibration I described earlier.

Setup:
VMP Gen II Supercharger
82mm pulley - 10 PSI
47lb injectors
NGK Spark plugs gapped to 0.030"
Afco triple pass dual fan heat exchanger
123mm JLT cold air intake
Dual 60mm throttle body

The Phoenix heat and trash gas (91 octane) are working against me. I have spoken to others with the same kit here in the Phoenix valley and they also have had similar experiences. That is not a guarantee that it's the same issue, but one person also had an issue with the 91 tune and 47lbs injectors.

I am pushing VMP to let me know what PIDs are leading them to believe it is spark blow out and possible fuel limitation. 1) I am naturally curious, and 2) it may be time to simply have it tuned locally for the environment and if I would to point out what others have seen. Second opinion and all that.

EDIT:
Max boost is 10PSI, but it does cut out for some reason. Inconsistent I may add. The last run on the dyno, the boost was bouncing from 5,6, 7 PSI then jumped to 10 PSI.
Reason yet unknown.
FirstGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT