Best lowering springs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Best lowering springs?

I am torn between SR performance lowering springs and Steeda sport springs. Read all around and both seem like a very good product. This is my DD so ride quality is a must for me. Getting just the springs. So what do you guys think? Thanks!
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Without any experience I would say Steeda>SR.

Steeda is very high quality.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2015, 03:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
BMR

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2015, 03:46 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Listen to him ^

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Once you lower the car, it is tough (if not impossible) to maintain the same "ride quality" as the stock springs. Now ride quality is a relative term. To me, "ride quality" means that the car stays flat in the curves and during hard braking. It means that it instills a feeling of confidence when running the twisties. To others it means that the car has a soft ride and absorbs just about every bump in the road. To me, the car did not have the "ride quality" I was looking for so I modded the suspension. When you lower the car, there is not as much travel in the springs so you lose some softness in the ride. That certainly is the case in my car but the ride is not what I would call harsh, just not as soft as stock. I think it is perfect. My wife (who never drives it but is sometimes a passenger) is not a fan of the new suspension.

My mods are in my sig, and as you can see I went with the Steeda Sports. There are different thoughts on springs only vs springs/struts/shocks. Some will say that you can get away with springs only and others will say that your shocks cannot handle the lowered springs and will bottom out and eventually fail. I am of the opinion that if you are going to do it, you should do it once and replace the shocks and struts along with the springs (if the finances allow). At a minimum, you will probably also need a panhard bar to recenter the rear wheels and a set of camber bolts to help with alignment. I recommend caster/camber plates instead of camber bolts as CC plates will give you far greater alignment adjustment. I am also not confident in the safety of camber bolts.
2012 Kona Blue GT Prem 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
You may want to consider the amount you want to lower, front and back.
Looks like Steeda typically lowers the rear 1/4" more than the front. Like 1"/1.25" or 1.25"/1.5" (F/R)

While SR has an even drop of 1.5"
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Yes, choosing the right lowering springs for you is more personal than just taking someones word because they bought XXXXXXXXXX springs and there were great or they totally suck.
It depends on how low you want to go and certainly doing it to a DD makes it even a harder choice...personally I've lowered a lot of cars/trucks/SUV's and non of them have been DD.
I have been using Eibach since the 90's and have never had any issues and there are people on the forum that have used both springs you've mentioned and personally I'd just say go with which ever one fits your pocket book.
Will the ride be firmer than what you have now...YES....if you were to buy struts and shocks that are made for a lowered car will it ride better than if you used your OE struts and shocks....Probably....is the ride quality better...that's up to you.
Whatever you do, DO NOT USE Caster/Camber BOLTS! They are much weaker than OE bolts and although many people have used them there is a chance they could fail....and for me that chance is not worth it.
As for Caster/Camber plates....if you are replacing your original struts and shocks I would say, yes go ahead and get them and if you are using your stock struts/strut mounts and shocks they are not needed, even with a 1.5" drop in front and 2" in the rear. I've helped lower 5 late model Mustangs including my 14 and non of the 5 needed any adjustment to stay within Ford Alignment Specs while using the OE struts/shocks. So, if you are just going to lower it 1" in the front and 1.5" in the rear and use your OE struts/shocks there is nothing you need to add....although if your car has more than 20k miles I'd buy a new set of strut mounts and put them in when you lower the car.
The pan hard bar was mentioned and before I'd run out and buy one measure your car now and if it's more than 1/8" different stock it will change when you lower it. Compared to replacing the springs putting in a pan hard bar is a walk in the park and can be done anytime....IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
My personal opinion is lower 1" all around. Brands don't really matter THAT much on springs. Its just a basic part.

Just make sure you get the right type of spring for your application. (linear, progressive, ultralight, etc.)

I bought the Steeda 1" front & supposedly 1.25" rear, and the change after was closer to an inch less rake. The front's drop was a little less than 1" and the rear's drop was a little more than 1.25". This basically levelled the car, but I actually wanted some rake. In hindsight, I'd just get a 1" all around kit.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

What do you guys think about BMR lowering springs? I read that those were nice also.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I run BMR springs. Great products.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BLKBETTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1446776639.058099.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	193300

Old 11-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1446777035.074520.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	193301

Old 11-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKBETTY13 View Post
Attachment 193301

Good looking car man. How's the ride quality for you with those springs?
Old 11-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Yes, choosing the right lowering springs for you is more personal than just taking someones word because they bought XXXXXXXXXX springs and there were great or they totally suck.
It depends on how low you want to go and certainly doing it to a DD makes it even a harder choice...personally I've lowered a lot of cars/trucks/SUV's and non of them have been DD.
I have been using Eibach since the 90's and have never had any issues and there are people on the forum that have used both springs you've mentioned and personally I'd just say go with which ever one fits your pocket book.
Will the ride be firmer than what you have now...YES....if you were to buy struts and shocks that are made for a lowered car will it ride better than if you used your OE struts and shocks....Probably....is the ride quality better...that's up to you.
Whatever you do, DO NOT USE Caster/Camber BOLTS! They are much weaker than OE bolts and although many people have used them there is a chance they could fail....and for me that chance is not worth it.
As for Caster/Camber plates....if you are replacing your original struts and shocks I would say, yes go ahead and get them and if you are using your stock struts/strut mounts and shocks they are not needed, even with a 1.5" drop in front and 2" in the rear. I've helped lower 5 late model Mustangs including my 14 and non of the 5 needed any adjustment to stay within Ford Alignment Specs while using the OE struts/shocks. So, if you are just going to lower it 1" in the front and 1.5" in the rear and use your OE struts/shocks there is nothing you need to add....although if your car has more than 20k miles I'd buy a new set of strut mounts and put them in when you lower the car.
The pan hard bar was mentioned and before I'd run out and buy one measure your car now and if it's more than 1/8" different stock it will change when you lower it. Compared to replacing the springs putting in a pan hard bar is a walk in the park and can be done anytime....IMHO

^What he said.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust...Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I have the SR on my 14 GT, drop is nice but could be lower, after settling in theres still an inch and half gap between the tire and fender. As for ride quality, it definitely handled better, not as much squat when smashing and not as much nose dive when braking. Comfort wise, they take bumps better then stock in my opinion..no squeaks or anything. Just a clunk every now and then from the springs settling after not driving for a bit. For the price honestly they are really nice.
visback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Thanks for the info! Really helped a lot. As for the strut mounts, all I can find are the Ford Racing ones and it says that they only fit the ford racing lowering springs and struts? Is that true? Because I cannot find any other strut mounts on the market.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I am running Strange struts up front and and Viking shocks on the rear. The ride is great. I only ran for a short time on the the stock rear shocks maybe couple hundred miles so can't give much comment if your planing on using your stock Shocks/Struts for now. I installed the Strange struts when I installed the springs and I did not notice much difference then from stock ride. Maybe a bit firmer but nothing night and day. It gave me the exact stance I was looking for and overall couldn't be happier. Hugs the corners with less body roll as well but that wasn't my intention. My car is just a nice weather toy and is basically setup for some fun on the street or occasional track days.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKBETTY13 View Post
I am running Strange struts up front and and Viking shocks on the rear. The ride is great. I only ran for a short time on the the stock rear shocks maybe couple hundred miles so can't give much comment if your planing on using your stock Shocks/Struts for now. I installed the Strange struts when I installed the springs and I did not notice much difference then from stock ride. Maybe a bit firmer but nothing night and day. It gave me the exact stance I was looking for and overall couldn't be happier. Hugs the corners with less body roll as well but that wasn't my intention. My car is just a nice weather toy and is basically setup for some fun on the street or occasional track days.

I plan on using my stock shocks and struts for a little while now. I'll go step by step and get the springs first to see how I like it. Then will continue on from there.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanh24 View Post
I plan on using my stock shocks and struts for a little while now. I'll go step by step and get the springs first to see how I like it. Then will continue on from there.
I am also using stock shocks and struts. Have had the springs on for about 6k miles now and no problems. I drive the car atleast 100 miles everyday and it is comfortable even with my bald tires. You won't regret it. Just make sure to torque everything to stock specs, thats where most of the noises come from. You will also need a Panhard bar to adjust the axel.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by visback View Post
I am also using stock shocks and struts. Have had the springs on for about 6k miles now and no problems. I drive the car atleast 100 miles everyday and it is comfortable even with my bald tires. You won't regret it. Just make sure to torque everything to stock specs, thats where most of the noises come from. You will also need a Panhard bar to adjust the axel.
Alright, and what springs are you using?
Old 11-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I am on SR performance springs.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am on SR performance springs.
Oh you posted above what springs you are using

my bad lol
Old 11-05-2015, 10:29 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

It's all good! Goodluck on the install! Just a tip, don't over tighten the front sway bar links...my friend used a impact gun to tighten it and when i started driving it was the most terrifying sound ever. Sounded like the wheels were about the fall off. Also, make sure when you are about to take the strut top off to take the springs off, take the top off carefully as one piece or the bearings will spill everywhere and you will get noises if they are not all in there.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's all good! Goodluck on the install! Just a tip, don't over tighten the front sway bar links...my friend used a impact gun to tighten it and when i started driving it was the most terrifying sound ever. Sounded like the wheels were about the fall off. Also, make sure when you are about to take the strut top off to take the springs off, take the top off carefully as one piece or the bearings will spill everywhere and you will get noises if they are not all in there.
Alright, thanks!!
Old 11-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I used a BMR adjustable phb on mine. Read was off a tad under a 1/2" when I installed the springs. I bought all components before my install tho. Did my front struts and springs on all four corners. Following day I installed the PHB to square it up. Month later I did the rear shocks LCA's and adjustable UCA all BMR as well. As a package I love the stance and ride I got. Acceleration is greatly improved with 0 wheel hop as well.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:01 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Steeda Ultralites

d1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanh24 View Post
Thanks for the info! Really helped a lot. As for the strut mounts, all I can find are the Ford Racing ones and it says that they only fit the ford racing lowering springs and struts? Is that true? Because I cannot find any other strut mounts on the market.
Here are the stock strut mounts...I would strongly suggest not using your originals and the hardware. A lot of people have reused the hardware and as Ford says it is a one time use only. I replaced all the hardware I took off when installing the front and rear suspension with the exception of the rear panhard hardware and the when I retorqued the drivers side bolt I stripped it...again Ford does say the hardware is a single use/torque only.
Here is the part number for 14GT strut mount;

MOUNT BRACKET, LEFT for 2014 Ford Mustang|BR3Z-18183-D

This is probably the best place to buy OE parts for your Mustang and I have also bought the GT500 muffler/valance kit and other parts from these people as the prices are good and they have a large stock.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You live in Ft. Lauderdale ... just come over to Pompano Beach & we will take care of you.

I extended the same offer on Mustang Source.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Between the two, I would go STEEDA. From experience, I would go eibach pro-kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UnrealSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

The right thing to do would be to BMR...

Old 11-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

My car is on SR springs and I've never had a problem with them. As long as they're not any generic eBay lowering springs the brand doesn't really matter.
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #32
ME Bloodhound
Supporter
Staff

Region: California
Just pick whatever drop gives you the look you like. 99% of the time thats all people care about. If its performance that you care about then you would be looking into the spring rates of each to see what is best for the overall set up.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
BMR.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1447214497.759404.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	193468Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1447214524.220906.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	193469

Not the greatest pics, just finished install a few days ago.

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1447214914.828193.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	193470

My car on sr springs

Old 11-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #35

What qualities are most important to you in a spring?

If you're looking for a comfortable ride, I would recommend our SP009. They're 165 in/lb front and 160 in/lb rear spring, and are softer than most other springs on the market. If maintaining ride quality similar to OEM is important to you, these springs are an excellent choice. They'll also handle better than OEM since they're about 15% stiffer. They will also work well with stock shocks and struts until you decide it's time to upgrade.

If overall handling is more important and you don't mind sacrificing ride quality, then our handling springs would be what you want. Just bear in mind with stiffer spring rates, the ride will not be as nice until you upgrade shocks and struts. Our handling springs are 240 in/lb front and 200 in/lbs rear.

We put a lot of thought into our spring design to provide a variety of springs for a variety of needs.
BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT