Opinion on Bama Tunes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #1

Region: Canada
Opinion on Bama Tunes

I wanted to start a thread to communicate my opinion on bama tunes. I feel like on all of the forums they get ripped apart and I think this is unfair. When I started looking for a tune I immediately saw the bama ones. I did some research and most seemed negative with peoples suggesting Lund or Steeda or Ford Racing. However if you read deeper you will understand that most of these tunes are the same however the approach to how they are delivered is different.

Bama sells canned tunes based on modifications pre-loaded to an SCT tuner branded Bama. These pre-loaded tunes are fine for most people and do not cause issues. On the threads you read negative things because I don't think most positive experiences are posted as happy people don't care enough.

This being said though Bama highly encourages datalogs so they can tweak the tunes and dial it in for you. Again not many people take them up on these either becoming frustrated and giving up or switching prior to this.

With the other tunes such as Lund or Steeda they will send you the same SCT tuner but make the data-logging as a requirement not just recommended. They do this to make sure that from day 1 it is dialed in. This does not make a Lund tune better than a Bama tune, it just reduces the chance for error from day one.

When I got my bama tune I took the time to break it in and then started a dialog with Bama to perform datalogs and dial it in. In the end I am very happy with the tune, customer service and communication.

In summary before people go bashing Bama. Spend the time to communicate with them and I have a feeling you will be much happier. In terms of their approach it's a business decision. If they can sell 75% of their tunes without communicating with the customer after why wouldn't they do this? It doesn't make it an inferior product.

This is just my opinion and I may have certain facts wrong but overall I think they get a bad rap.
dbair07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Amen brother. Preaching to the choir regarding BAMA and AM
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I somewhat agree with your post dbair07 but I do believe that Bama leaves some power on the table where other tuners do not. I had Bama with no issues but then went to Mike roush a short time later and I did notice an improvement in power and shifting with my Auto. I was going to have a track day set just to compare the 2 different tunes but am yet to get a chance. But YES Bama sends out a tune and people don't follow up with a data log to work out the bugs or to improve the tune at all. Mike roush tells his customers to data log more then once. Just my .02$
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2015, 11:19 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
I somewhat agree with your post dbair07 but I do believe that Bama leaves some power on the table where other tuners do not. I had Bama with no issues but then went to Mike roush a short time later and I did notice an improvement in power and shifting with my Auto. I was going to have a track day set just to compare the 2 different tunes but am yet to get a chance. But YES Bama sends out a tune and people don't follow up with a data log to work out the bugs or to improve the tune at all. Mike roush tells his customers to data log more then once. Just my .02$
They do squeeze out more power and nobody should argue that.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Not only are their tunes sufficient, but their customer service is top notch. ive had to call them 3 times and each time they were pleasant and helpful.
also consider the price, youll pay 400$ for the x4 tuner no matter the source, youre basically getting the off shelf maps for free whereas AED and similar require another 200-300 per tune
2013GTpremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013GTpremium View Post
whereas AED and similar require another 200-300 per tune
This is not true. AED just like everyone else gives free revisions. And AED is light years ahead of Bama in tuning.

With AED you will get a custom tune whereas with Bama they just copy and paste files.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I like how people still compare tunes by hp. "You get more hp with this tune vs......" 😏

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
This is not true. AED just like everyone else gives free revisions. And AED is light years ahead of Bama in tuning.

With AED you will get a custom tune whereas with Bama they just copy and paste files.
I wish that was the case for their dyno tunes. It is $200 per hour for additional tuning on the dyno..... They are local to me and sponsor my club, multiple members in my club are tuned by them. One had his engine built by them. Amazing work though, i've seen some of their cars run and they are extremely impressive.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbair07 View Post
I wanted to start a thread to communicate my opinion on bama tunes. I feel like on all of the forums they get ripped apart and I think this is unfair. When I started looking for a tune I immediately saw the bama ones. I did some research and most seemed negative with peoples suggesting Lund or Steeda or Ford Racing. However if you read deeper you will understand that most of these tunes are the same however the approach to how they are delivered is different.

Bama sells canned tunes based on modifications pre-loaded to an SCT tuner branded Bama. These pre-loaded tunes are fine for most people and do not cause issues. On the threads you read negative things because I don't think most positive experiences are posted as happy people don't care enough.

This being said though Bama highly encourages datalogs so they can tweak the tunes and dial it in for you. Again not many people take them up on these either becoming frustrated and giving up or switching prior to this.

With the other tunes such as Lund or Steeda they will send you the same SCT tuner but make the data-logging as a requirement not just recommended. They do this to make sure that from day 1 it is dialed in. This does not make a Lund tune better than a Bama tune, it just reduces the chance for error from day one.

When I got my bama tune I took the time to break it in and then started a dialog with Bama to perform datalogs and dial it in. In the end I am very happy with the tune, customer service and communication.

In summary before people go bashing Bama. Spend the time to communicate with them and I have a feeling you will be much happier. In terms of their approach it's a business decision. If they can sell 75% of their tunes without communicating with the customer after why wouldn't they do this? It doesn't make it an inferior product.

This is just my opinion and I may have certain facts wrong but overall I think they get a bad rap.
It's true there is misguided hate on the internet.. c'mon its the internet !

Personally I'll never go to AED or BAMA because they learned on customer cars at the expense of the customer's cars. I don't like that approach or the way it was handled. I understand the Coyote engine is still pretty new and Ford has not been as communicative as they have been in the past. But they could have asked for volunteers or bought their own mustang to learn on.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
It's true there is misguided hate on the internet.. c'mon its the internet !

Personally I'll never go to AED or BAMA because they learned on customer cars at the expense of the customer's cars. I don't like that approach or the way it was handled. I understand the Coyote engine is still pretty new and Ford has not been as communicative as they have been in the past. But they could have asked for volunteers or bought their own mustang to learn on.

By far the dumbest response on here. And if anyone thinks different you fall into the same category

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
By far the dumbest response on here. And if anyone thinks different you fall into the same category

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Misguided hate... On the Internet... Who knew!!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Every tuner I've used is also doing a copy and paste method at first. They ask what you have and send the tunes they have already saved for the mods we told them we have. Then and only then they ask for a data log to fine tune it per car.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

My lightning was dyno tuned by Swanson performance and I watched them drag and drop files on to the tuner then dyno my truck. My truck was tuned by them by the past owner and they just pulled that "saved" tune and slapped it on then revised it. I watched with my own eyes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-11-2015, 11:17 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Well don't most tuners use a baseline tune like that and go from there?

Old 11-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I was a fan of bama, until this morning. Decided to switch to my performance tune this morning and now my car is stuck in 3rd gear. Such a fun way to drive to class.
Agent Kree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm fairly happy with my Bama V2, however when I datalogged they said it was fine and didn't revise it at all for me. I find it hard to believe the tune just happened to be perfect for my car
d1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1984 View Post
I'm fairly happy with my Bama V2, however when I datalogged they said it was fine and didn't revise it at all for me. I find it hard to believe the tune just happened to be perfect for my car
They did the same for me. Pretty frustrating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
crbauhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:12 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

VMPFTW

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:28 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

People are pretty loyal and I can appreciate that. Loyalty becomes stronger when you or someone youknow has a personal relationship with a Tuner. That being said people get real personal when expressing their opinions. Take everything, good and bad, with a grain of salt.
tsidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I've been pretty happy with bama for the most part up until I got long tubes. When my buddy was doing the long tubes he noticed that my car was running very lean because of the residue left over on the O2s and said it was running lean.

I then got a tune revision since I got the Kooks 1 3/4 long tubes and the Kooks boss 302 h-pipe with cats. My idle has been pretty crappy. It jumps around quite a bit. From 450-1000 rpm. Not sure what it could be. I haven't data logged since I really haven't had time. But I'm gonna get a dyno tune tomorrow and see how the car runs.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Love it when people complain about tunes they haven't logged

Old 11-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Love it when people complain about tunes they haven't logged

I'm with you there. Im not complaining. I agree that it is my fault that I haven't data logged.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by augusto.olmedo View Post
I've been pretty happy with bama for the most part up until I got long tubes. When my buddy was doing the long tubes he noticed that my car was running very lean because of the residue left over on the O2s and said it was running lean.

I then got a tune revision since I got the Kooks 1 3/4 long tubes and the Kooks boss 302 h-pipe with cats. My idle has been pretty crappy. It jumps around quite a bit. From 450-1000 rpm. Not sure what it could be. I haven't data logged since I really haven't had time. But I'm gonna get a dyno tune tomorrow and see how the car runs.
Are you running extensions on those headers? If so get them off ASAP.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:00 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

This thread makes me "glad" my 3.7 has MPT tuners to keep us "happy".
Old 12-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I gathered a lot of input with this thread, and ended up returning my Bama tune (never installed it). Now thinking of going with MPT. I appreciate everyone's feedback - helped me out!
jeffrey5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Steeda doesn't require or even ask you to data log their tunes right off the bat. Also when I received my steeda tunes they were perfect. I've had bama and steeda. I personally prefer steeda now, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with bama. I just like the steeda better. That's my opinion.

94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
Steeda doesn't require or even ask you to data log their tunes right off the bat. Also when I received my steeda tunes they were perfect. I've had bama and steeda. I personally prefer steeda now, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with bama. I just like the steeda better. That's my opinion.

Happy to help anyone looking for a Steeda tune!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:25 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
OK here's the deal I am old school did a lot of work on cars in 70's when the computer crap was not so prevalent. I have a 2014 v6 'vert. If all I am adding is long tubes and a K&N drop in filter and maybe delete the Cat to my daily driver (I usually hit 85-100 on the way to work)

a.) do I still need a tune
b.) what type of improvement will I see in HP
c.) What type of improvement will I see in MPG

Thank You all
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Opinion on Bama Tunes

I think I’m going to piss some people off, but I do NOT recommend BAMA tunes. Don’t get me wrong, I love American Muscle, their service and their product offerings, but my dealings with BAMA has been awful!

From my first tune with them a few years ago, my transmission has been off. Shifting from 1st to 2nd (automatic) and been extremely “hard.” I mean it is like a hard bump every time it shifts. Stop and go traffic is hell. I went back to them and they sent me a new tune with “stock” shifting restored and it made no difference. A few months ago I went back for another new tune, because misc issues and the 4 tunes I received over the course of a week were all non-drivable – I could not drive over 10 MPH, as the car wouldn’t shift. They said it was due to transmission issues. Wrong! I put the old BAMA tune back on, so I could at least drive it again.

I contacted a local performance shop in Portland (PSI - tunesbypsi.com) and they said they could tune my 2013 GT, no problem. They ran a dyno before with the BAMA tune and one after with their tune. I gained 40RWHP and 40TQ over the “Race” BAMA tune. See the dyno for yourself. Also, my hard shift transmission problems are gone, along with misc other issues and the car runs SO much better now! I can definitely feel the power now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyno.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	195102  
Old 12-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

I wouldnt get enamored by those dyno numbers. Their is a lot of things they can do that make their tune seem that much better powerwise. But if it runs smooth it runs smooth so that is good. That might be the closest competent dyno tuner to me though

Old 12-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Opinion on Bama Tunes

Quote:
I wouldnt get enamored by those dyno numbers. Their is a lot of things they can do that make their tune seem that much better powerwise. But if it runs smooth it runs smooth so that is good. That might be the closest competent dyno tuner to me though
I hear ya... A part of me is skeptical, however, I was onsite while the multiple BAMA Dyno pulls were done and when the new tune was written. I watched them closely and feel they can be trusted. The guy that wrote the new tune, Jason Oefelein, has been in the business for over 20 years and has written for many Mustangs. In any event, the car feels much more powerful and I'm happy. That is all that matters to me.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah just be kind of Leary of those number is all im saying. Something that they could do real easy is just change the correction and whatnot. How much did they charge you if you don't mind?

Old 12-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Opinion on Bama Tunes

Quote:
Yeah just be kind of Leary of those number is all im saying. Something that they could do real easy is just change the correction and whatnot. How much did they charge you if you don't mind?

I had them install shorty headers and lowing springs, so I think they made me a deal on the tune. I paid $300 for the tune and Dyno pulls.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:23 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I'm on the fence but starting to lean towards "just do it" regarding a tuner. A 30/30 gain would be nice.

2014 GT/CS 6spd. with total FR suspension upgrades.
stanggtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #35
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Looney Tunes

Someone started it
I ways always taught don't talk religion, politics, and Tunes!
Has anyone ever had a bad tune?
Like any other part replacement, you love it when you do it and it is the best.
Like politics and religion, argue all you want, you are not going to change anybody's mind.
I have the Ford procal now and will be going to a Mike Rousch shortly.
Let you know how that works out, but it'll probably be late May early June.
Made a couple other small mods over the winter and want to see what impact, if any they had on 1/4 mile time.
Then we'll see what Mike's tune does.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT