Shifter comparision stock, Barton, MGW, Blowfish - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Shifter comparision stock, Barton, MGW, Blowfish

OK, My 2013 GT was bone stock when bought. No real need to spend time on the stock shifter other than to say it is long shifts and good luck at high RPM shifts.

Went to Barton - This was a very good improvement in shift feel and is DEFINITELTY a short throw. I should include that I got the bracket when I did this. I was happy with it until I took it to the strip. Then it was still the same thing high ROM shifts were nearly impossible. Maybe it is me but going from 2 to 3 or 3-4 at 6,500 RPM was ridiculous.

Added Blowfish - I added the Blowfish racing bracket. This really took care of all of the high ROM stuff. I could shift at any RPM relatively easily and it doubles as a safety loop. When I added this I did add an aluminum shaft. Noise and vibration wass definitely up. they shifter itself would seem to rattle against the edge. I would usually keep my hand on the shifter on the highway as it could get annoying.

Bad Barton - My shifter literally snapped in half while on the road shifting into 4th. Scary a hell let me tell you. Never really in danger but it definitely freaks you out. Contacted Barton according to them there was an issue when they switched something up and they know about this? Hello, recall, email notice something please. I believe he said it affected a few hundred units. For what its worth I am shipping it back (my cost) and they are going to send a new one they aid.

MGW - WOW!! Installed for about 100-200 miles now. Smooth as silk, easy a pie to shift. Short throw (probably not *** much as Barton though). High RPM's are no problem, no rattle this thing is awesome. My car who installed said he PROBABLY could have left the Blowfish in but it rendered that useless so he took it off so I could sell it and remove unneeded weight.

If you are deciding on a shifter to get buy the MGW. hands down best. it is more but look at the product, it is replacing allot more than any other short shifter does.

pics are each part and then one of Barton snapped
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1446921414886.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	193540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	193541  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MGW MT-82 Race-Spec Shifter 3 4web.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	193542   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151112_173252.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	915.0 KB
ID:	193543  

Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
OK, My 2013 GT was bone stock when bought. No real need to spend time on the stock shifter other than to say it is long shifts and good luck at high RPM shifts.

Went to Barton - This was a very good improvement in shift feel and is DEFINITELTY a short throw. I should include that I got the bracket when I did this. I was happy with it until I took it to the strip. Then it was still the same thing high ROM shifts were nearly impossible. Maybe it is me but going from 2 to 3 or 3-4 at 6,500 RPM was ridiculous.

Added Blowfish - I added the Blowfish racing bracket. This really took care of all of the high ROM stuff. I could shift at any RPM relatively easily and it doubles as a safety loop. When I added this I did add an aluminum shaft. Noise and vibration wass definitely up. they shifter itself would seem to rattle against the edge. I would usually keep my hand on the shifter on the highway as it could get annoying.

Bad Barton - My shifter literally snapped in half while on the road shifting into 4th. Scary a hell let me tell you. Never really in danger but it definitely freaks you out. Contacted Barton according to them there was an issue when they switched something up and they know about this? Hello, recall, email notice something please. I believe he said it affected a few hundred units. For what its worth I am shipping it back (my cost) and they are going to send a new one they aid.

MGW - WOW!! Installed for about 100-200 miles now. Smooth as silk, easy a pie to shift. Short throw (probably not *** much as Barton though). High RPM's are no problem, no rattle this thing is awesome. My car who installed said he PROBABLY could have left the Blowfish in but it rendered that useless so he took it off so I could sell it and remove unneeded weight.

If you are deciding on a shifter to get buy the MGW. hands down best. it is more but look at the product, it is replacing allot more than any other short shifter does.

pics are each part and then one of Barton snapped

Good to know , did you change the lines and fluid as well ?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith129 View Post
Good to know , did you change the lines and fluid as well ?

I will have to ask lol. I dont do allot of the work myelf
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
I will have to ask lol. I dont do allot of the work myelf

Oh I see , well if you find out let us know .

Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Reality is if you want high rpm shifts replace the clutch, pilot bearing, throw out bearing and a braided clutch line you will be set to go

Sent from my SM-N920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Welcome to the MGW club, I love mine.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
The MGW is on my Mod want list. Thanks for posting your experience. Makes me that much closer to making the jump.
Second Mustang with a 34 yr gap.
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

the MGW race spec is a great piece! absolutely love love love mine
Old 11-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefron50 View Post
Reality is if you want high rpm shifts replace the clutch, pilot bearing, throw out bearing and a braided clutch line you will be set to go

Sent from my SM-N920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I actually did all that as well. It still had issues. More about the flex because the transmission just sort of floats out there for lack of a more technical explanation.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-15-2015, 05:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Buying a mgw race spec within the next two months. I haven't seen one negative review of it yet.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It took me forever to get mine to shift at high rpm's but now its butter, This is my set up, Ive done the braided line, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, aluminum flywheel, Exedy clutch, The next mods are what really worked, BMR tubular kmember with solid aluminum motor mounts, I bought the mgw shifter and blowfish bracket and together they work AMAZING...!!! I dont like adding weight to my car but that blowfish bracket WORKS ! All this was done before the MGW race spec shifter came out, so thats why I dont have that, but the only other thing I did was fill tranny mount with window weld to stiffen up that area too, and now there are ZERO lockouts at high rpms, this is just my list of what I had to do and it works for me.
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I love my MGW (1st Gen) . I also have the Blowfish Bracket and the Trans mount bushing from White line ( I did drill the 1inch hole into it) . Car really feels crisp and tight. I don't have any issues with road vibrations either..
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT