Tune? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:21 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bryanh24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
You do want to data log the tune. Reason being that no two cars are the same. Yours could like a slightly richer lambda or the knock threshold could be off a few degrees. The point is there is no way the tuner you choose will get everything right for your car without atleast a little bit of logging. Shaun will most definitely go over that with you.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I read that Shaun turn's down like 75 percent of 2014's because of Knock sensors? I have a 2014 so not sure what is going to happen if I tell Shaun I have a '14
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-16-2015, 12:27 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanh24 View Post
I read that Shaun turn's down like 75 percent of 2014's because of Knock sensors? I have a 2014 so not sure what is going to happen if I tell Shaun I have a '14
Well you could ask him to not modify the knock sensors. The worst that could happen is the knock sensors will register false knock and pull timing. You may or may not feel that driving around. Your car already does this from the factory. It starts to matter more the closer you get to where knock is more likely to occur.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2012 GT (Brembo)
MGW Race spec
Steeda Sports
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:28 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bryanh24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
Well you could ask him to not modify the knock sensors. The worst that could happen is the knock sensors will register false knock and pull timing. You may or may not feel that driving around. Your car already does this from the factory. It starts to matter more the closer you get to where knock is more likely to occur.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Oh ok. I'll let him know and see what he says tomorrow. Still considering bama because many people seem to love them and say the performance really is there with the bama tunes. Still deciding though.
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-16-2015, 04:48 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Why not VMP? Lund? Bama would be the last person I would let tune my car if I were you.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:49 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,253
Lol ahhhhhh


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:10 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bryanh24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Why not VMP? Lund? Bama would be the last person I would let tune my car if I were you.
Have you ever had a bama tune?
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanh24 View Post
Have you ever had a bama tune?
Nope, I tune my own cars.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bryanh24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 117
Then how do you know bama isn't a good tuner then? Not to be rude just saying.
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Because I've helped out a few local guys running Bama tunes that were having issues and didn't like what I saw in the logs I ran.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bryanh24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Because I've helped out a few local guys running Bama tunes that were having issues and didn't like what I saw in the logs I ran.
What problems did you see with the tune?
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:16 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: California, Bay Area
Region: Other
Posts: 186
I don't know where people say he rejects 14s, I have a 14 and got it tuned from him without any issues.
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
WJBertrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ventura
Region: California
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanh24 View Post
I was in fact looking at the pro cal for a while. Then I read more and more and didn't want to risk the pinging that is causes. A lot of people went from the pro cal to the bama tune and were a lot happier with the bama. And they are around the same price, so why not go with the bama tuner. Also, I'm pretty sure bama has a 3yr/36k warranty when you get a tune from them.
At least in my case, and burning 91 octane, I've yet to hear any pinging. I've had that tune in there at least a year now.
__________________
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bryanh24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
At least in my case, and burning 91 octane, I've yet to hear any pinging. I've had that tune in there at least a year now.
Yeah, but I just dont want to risk it. And I read that the pro cal isn't that impressive with increasing power. Except in the 1500 rpm range. Not sure if it's true but that's what I read.
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Columbia
Region: Illinois
Posts: 134
Does anyone know if Shaun leaves the knock sensors on in his drag tune? I daily drive his drag tune over the performance tune.

I read earlier in this forum that Bama turns theirs off in the race tunes and that seems like a bad practice. I just want to make sure I'm safe.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular
 
utm18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: trenton
Region: Ohio
Posts: 267
Shaun leaves the knock sensors on with all his tunes
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bryanh24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by litfuse View Post
Does anyone know if Shaun leaves the knock sensors on in his drag tune? I daily drive his drag tune over the performance tune.

I read earlier in this forum that Bama turns theirs off in the race tunes and that seems like a bad practice. I just want to make sure I'm safe.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
How do you like his tune? Big power increase? Is it nice to drive for daily? I might pull the trigger for one of his tunes this winter
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular
 
WJBertrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ventura
Region: California
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanh24 View Post
Yeah, but I just dont want to risk it. And I read that the pro cal isn't that impressive with increasing power. Except in the 1500 rpm range. Not sure if it's true but that's what I read.
I think the Pro-Cal tune is more about driveability improvement with a mild performance increase than about monster power. That's probably why you can keep your warranty with it. It sure makes the car a pleasure to drive compared to stock tune. They should make this tune standard.
__________________
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Columbia
Region: Illinois
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanh24 View Post
How do you like his tune? Big power increase? Is it nice to drive for daily? I might pull the trigger for one of his tunes this winter

On the dyno sheet, it shows a gain, but I didn't think it was a huge gain like some express here on the forum. Honestly, I was a little disappointed with the outcome. Don't get me wrong, the tune is as smooth as glass and the drivability is better than stock. The power increase just want as big as I wish it was.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,253
Typical looking for big #'s. You already failed with that approach.


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: California, Bay Area
Region: Other
Posts: 186
I would not run the drag tune from shaun all the time lol...it turns off traction control and advance traction, so ur more likely to go sliding into a wall if u have to make some quick maneuvers on the highway.
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by visback View Post
I would not run the drag tune from shaun all the time lol...it turns off traction control and advance traction, so ur more likely to go sliding into a wall if u have to make some quick maneuvers on the highway.

No not going to happen


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Columbia
Region: Illinois
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Typical looking for big #'s. You already failed with that approach.


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.

I knew better than to look for big numbers. I was looking for more than marginal however. Like I said, the tune is smooth, but how it is described on here as changing the car drastically, to me is an overstatement.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: California, Bay Area
Region: Other
Posts: 186
To me the car changed drastically..every car is different, it depends how good or bad your previous tune was. For me, bama tune was sluggish low end and with aed its power from the moment I put my foot down. That's just power, not the only thing that matters. It is safe, reliable and smooth for a daily driver.
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Columbia
Region: Illinois
Posts: 134
Maybe I need to drive a stock GT once again so I can fully appreciate my car and it's tune. My problem is that I modified two cars at the same time. As I added parts and a tune to my GT, I was also adding parts to my Focus ST. With the parts and tune I added to my ST, it added over 25hp and 90 foot pounds of torque. That's a big difference you can feel.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:59 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanh24 View Post
How do you like his tune? Big power increase? Is it nice to drive for daily? I might pull the trigger for one of his tunes this winter
I really recommend you do some research into what tuning your car will actually do for you. With your car stock, you are not going to see much of a power increase in the sense of numbers. I'd be surprised to see more than a 20hp increase. Without a power adder there is not much you can do to change/improve VE (volumetric efficiency) therefore, like what the pro cal does, you are going to be changing the drivability of the car to your liking. You may see increased torque in the low end and because the threshold to WOT may be tweaked you could feel the throttle respond a bit better. Unless you add cams, or, supercharger or turbocharger you will not see a "large power increase"
__________________
2012 GT (Brembo)
MGW Race spec
Steeda Sports
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:30 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bryanh24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by litfuse View Post
Maybe I need to drive a stock GT once again so I can fully appreciate my car and it's tune. My problem is that I modified two cars at the same time. As I added parts and a tune to my GT, I was also adding parts to my Focus ST. With the parts and tune I added to my ST, it added over 25hp and 90 foot pounds of torque. That's a big difference you can feel.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
You think it's worth the price? Shaun said its a night and day difference between stock and his tune. But you are saying you can't really feel too much.
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:43 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Columbia
Region: Illinois
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanh24 View Post
You think it's worth the price? Shaun said its a night and day difference between stock and his tune. But you are saying you can't really feel too much.

Because I did a catless mid pipe, a tune was necessary. If someone is on the fence about the pros and cons of running a tune or keeping your warranty, I would stay stock. I have owned and modified many cars, and to me, by the seat of my pants had only a small difference. Don't get me wrong, I know I gained power, but not enough where I went, "this is a completely different car."


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:51 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,253
And this is why advice on here is going to crap. From people who I can tell have no clue what they are saying.

A tune is the best $ that can be spent on your car.


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:27 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular
 
utm18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: trenton
Region: Ohio
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanh24 View Post
You think it's worth the price? Shaun said its a night and day difference between stock and his tune. But you are saying you can't really feel too much.
Yes it is.
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:34 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Columbia
Region: Illinois
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
And this is why advice on here is going to crap. From people who I can tell have no clue what they are saying.

A tune is the best $ that can be spent on your car.


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.

If you have the right amount of supporting mods. For me, a tune, catless h pipe and a catback didnt provide huge gains. If you add a header and an intake manifold, maybe so.

I am merely providing my perspective on how much a tune and simple bolt ons change the car. My advice is neither crap nor law. Take it as you wish.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:42 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bryanh24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by litfuse View Post
If you have the right amount of supporting mods. For me, a tune, catless h pipe and a catback didnt provide huge gains. If you add a header and an intake manifold, maybe so.

I am merely providing my perspective on how much a tune and simple bolt ons change the car. My advice is neither crap nor law. Take it as you wish.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Well i don't think just a tune with completely change the car. I'm aware of that also. I'm not looking for drastic changes but some changes you know. I think I'm going to go with AED in a month or so. Just need a tuner now.
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Columbia
Region: Illinois
Posts: 134
AED's tune is smooth, that is for sure. I think if you go with a custom tune, he's a great choice.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bryanh24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by litfuse View Post
AED's tune is smooth, that is for sure. I think if you go with a custom tune, he's a great choice.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Yeah I think that's what I am going with. I was thinking bama or this but I read with bama that the tunes can be a bit of a hassle.
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:12 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bryanh24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 117
The SCT X3 will work for a 2014 GT right? I am just making sure, I researched and saw up to 13 GT. I am not sure if that matters or not but just wanted to ask you guys to be safe. Thanks.
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:31 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
It does
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hybrid tune vs. race tune 13 stang22 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 37 03-30-2013 09:38 PM
to tune or not to tune.... rebeltx 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 24 01-02-2013 11:46 AM
Bama tune or lund tune or steeda tune Mustang32Bill 2011-2014 Mustang GT 89 11-12-2012 11:45 AM
Question on installing Bama tune if previous tune already loaded on car ljn21 2011-2014 Mustang GT 7 08-01-2012 11:08 AM
To tune or not to tune? grossnickle6612 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 10 08-24-2011 10:27 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:26 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.