Tune? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Tune?

I will be getting my car lowered soon and was just considering another mod for it. I am very much considering a tune. The one I am leaning toward is the SCT SF4 tuner with the bama tunes. Do you guys recommend the bama tunes? I have a 2014 Gt so the #8 cylinder problem I think is resolved. Any of you guys out there with the bama tune? Or anyone that used them and didn't like it? Any other recommendations? Thanks!
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
You are starting a thread before you have done a search. There are years of responses to this question.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude.
InfinibandGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #3
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yep: Opinion on Bama Tunes
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinibandGT View Post
You are starting a thread before you have done a search. There are years of responses to this question.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude.
It's perfectly fine. Trust me man, I have been doing a lot of research for this. It's just that I haven't gotten answer from my point of view. I would just like some more information.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanh24 View Post
It's perfectly fine. Trust me man, I have been doing a lot of research for this. It's just that I haven't gotten answer from my point of view. I would just like some more information.
Not sure what you are looking for? I would say bama tunes and any other remote tuning done for a car with no power adders should be fairly safe by now. I personally would never load a bama tune on my car. You are going to get a lot of variety when asking which one people recommend. If you were looking at the mainstream remote tuners I would say AED would be a good place to start. From what I see on the forums Shaun is active and will take the time to explain what is being done to your tune and why you may or may not see specific behavior.

*quick edit* I see you're in SFL, I used to live in Delray. There is a shop near you, Billet Design. Go there for dyno tuning, ask for Marco, he mainly does porsches and mustangs. He knows his stuff.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
Not sure what you are looking for? I would say bama tunes and any other remote tuning done for a car with no power adders should be fairly safe by now. I personally would never load a bama tune on my car. You are going to get a lot of variety when asking which one people recommend. If you were looking at the mainstream remote tuners I would say AED would be a good place to start. From what I see on the forums Shaun is active and will take the time to explain what is being done to your tune and why you may or may not see specific behavior.

*quick edit* I see you're in SFL, I used to live in Delray. There is a shop near you, Billet Design. Go there for dyno tuning, ask for Marco, he mainly does porsches and mustangs. He knows his stuff.
Forgot to say that this car is my DD so any really agressive tune I might stay away from for now. But two questions, why you would never load a bama tune in your car, and how much is it for a dyno tune? Thanks.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Is your car an auto? If so, I'm running the Bama V2 tune and I'm happy with it.

You didn't say what you want from the car and what you are doing with it.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

More questions that could be answered by searching this forum.

To tune or not to tune.

It's up to you. A search will reveal the risks.

I tuned my 2014 at 5000 miles. I had a 2012 that I Bama tuned. Both my DD cars. No problems for a DD.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is your car an auto? If so, I'm running the Bama V2 tune and I'm happy with it.

You didn't say what you want from the car and what you are doing with it.
No, it is a M6. I would like what people expect from a tune, better throttle response and just a overall quicker car. I won't be doing much too the car, headers not in a long time or anything else really. Maybe just a cai later on.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, it is a M6. I would like what people expect from a tune, better throttle response and just a overall quicker car. I won't be doing much too the car, headers not in a long time or anything else really. Maybe just a cai later on.
Throttle response will depend on what is changed. Part throttle and throttle response is relative and as a result take a while to dial in perfectly. Most of the tunes for an N/A car with no power adders will simply modify low end torque and maybe give you 1-4 degrees of timing up top.

To answer your other questions, I've posted before in a couple other threads. But in my own research, early on bama tunes and AED tunes did pop cylinder #8. What is unclear because of the situation(s) and well.. its the internet, was what mods exactly each car had and what was the scenario in which the motor gave up. These companies have since solved their issues in the tunes (whether it be they disabled or altered the knock sensors, or just plain added too much timing etc) In my own personal opinion I do not like that these tuners had to learn on customer cars. Especially if the car is your DD and you may or may not be making payments on it. Of course you tune at your own risk, but assuming whomever is tuning the car does it correctly and carefully. You should not have to worry about cyl #8.

Lastly, its been a while since I've been by Marco's shop. Give him a call monday and ask him what he will charge you.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 11-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ford Racing Pro-Cal tune is fairly mild and really wakes up the engine responsiveness. I don't know that it would add noticeably quicker 1/4 mile times. The best part about it is that, though you only get an extra 9 ft.lb. of total torque, I adds 60 ft. lb. at 1500 RPM, which for a daily driver is perfect. Also if you get it done at a Ford dealer it preserves your warranty.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I ran bama tunes for 2 months, they were fine but I would have to get them revised a lot. Now that I am done modding the car, I decided to take it to aed and get a dyno tune. AED is the way to go...shaun is real nice and explains what he is doing. And his tune is stupidly smooth, gained a lot of low end and some high end from his tune. Best way to explain it is that the power band is a lot smoother now. It is perfect for daily driving, even gained me +2mpg. Bama isn't very safe in my opinion since they turn off there knock sensors in the race tune, but I did not have a problem yet.
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by visback View Post
I ran bama tunes for 2 months, they were fine but I would have to get them revised a lot. Now that I am done modding the car, I decided to take it to aed and get a dyno tune. AED is the way to go...shaun is real nice and explains what he is doing. And his tune is stupidly smooth, gained a lot of low end and some high end from his tune. Best way to explain it is that the power band is a lot smoother now. It is perfect for daily driving, even gained me +2mpg. Bama isn't very safe in my opinion since they turn off there knock sensors in the race tune, but I did not have a problem yet.
I thought in their v2 they turned them back on? If it's true they turn off the knock sensors. That's incredibly bad and exactly why you want to avoid them.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 11-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

From what I heard, they are still off in the race tunes, that is pretty dangerous and could damage a lot of engines.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with WJBertrand. I had the Ford Racing tune on my 2012 (manual). If you want a warranty after that tune, you need to have the dealer install it.

Later I installed a Bama tune in the 2012. No comparison. Bama tune butt dynoed better. Daily driver.

My 2014 GT (auto), I installed a Bama tune. It was better than the stock tune but did nothing to the trans.

After about 10000 miles with the auto, I got the Bama V2 tune. Great for an auto. Was a slug before before. The shift points are changed like an old school shift kit. I'm very happy with it.

There are a lot of smart people in the history here. If you have an S197 Mustang it's still all good. Especially a coyote.

My $.02
Old 11-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

You might want to look at this article:

https://support.bamaperformance.com/...knock-sensors-
Old 11-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

See, you've opened Pandora's box with this question.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
Ford Racing Pro-Cal tune is fairly mild and really wakes up the engine responsiveness. I don't know that it would add noticeably quicker 1/4 mile times. The best part about it is that, though you only get an extra 9 ft.lb. of total torque, I adds 60 ft. lb. at 1500 RPM, which for a daily driver is perfect. Also if you get it done at a Ford dealer it preserves your warranty.
I was in fact looking at the pro cal for a while. Then I read more and more and didn't want to risk the pinging that is causes. A lot of people went from the pro cal to the bama tune and were a lot happier with the bama. And they are around the same price, so why not go with the bama tuner. Also, I'm pretty sure bama has a 3yr/36k warranty when you get a tune from them.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Bama does not have a warranty except on the #8 cylinder.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree with WJBertrand. I had the Ford Racing tune on my 2012 (manual). If you want a warranty after that tune, you need to have the dealer install it.

Later I installed a Bama tune in the 2012. No comparison. Bama tune butt dynoed better. Daily driver.

My 2014 GT (auto), I installed a Bama tune. It was better than the stock tune but did nothing to the trans.

After about 10000 miles with the auto, I got the Bama V2 tune. Great for an auto. Was a slug before before. The shift points are changed like an old school shift kit. I'm very happy with it.

There are a lot of smart people in the history here. If you have an S197 Mustang it's still all good. Especially a coyote.

My $.02
Did you get run the street,performance, or race tune?

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Bama does not have a warranty except on the #8 cylinder.
Ahh ok, that cleared things up
Old 11-15-2015, 09:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I got all three:

Street: 91 octane
Performance: 91 octane
Race: 93 octane

I live in ca. 93 octane is 15 miles away from me. I drive by it on my way home. Sometimes I fill-up with 93 and change the tune.

You east coast folks have 93 available all the time.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I run the performance Bama tune all the time.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Don't tune your car if you are worried about the warranty.

I did it because I'm in a good financial position and I'm not worried.

The GT is bad *** as it is.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't tune your car if you are worried about the warranty.

I did it because I'm in a good financial position and I'm not worried.

The GT is bad *** as it is.
For sure, the thing halls butt bone stock lol. But about the warranty, the car has 20,000 miles on it so I've gone through the initial tests to make sure it runs fine before voiding warranty. The only thing is if the tune screws it up(which I am praying it doesn't) I wont have a DD... So that's really the only thing I am worried about. But I've read that bama tunes are very safe and reliable according to other people.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

For me, the Bama tunes are good. You will notice a difference.

There are other tunes out there. If you want to spend time perfecting your tune then there are other tuners.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:37 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I would love to have time to **** with my car all day. Maybe you do.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For me, the Bama tunes are good. You will notice a difference.

There are other tunes out there. If you want to spend time perfecting your tune then there are other tuners.
Oh yeah, forgot to ask. How is the performance gain for you? You did say I will notice a gain but just want some more info on that.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:18 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

If you want a safe tune for your DD, honestly aed is the best option. You get to relax knowing it was tuned correctly and it isn't a canned tune. If your in the process of getting performance parts for it then get bama but later switch to dyno tune when you have done what you wanted with the car. Aed is a bit expensive but trust me you don't want to cheap out on a nice car,
Old 11-15-2015, 11:38 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you want a safe tune for your DD, honestly aed is the best option. You get to relax knowing it was tuned correctly and it isn't a canned tune. If your in the process of getting performance parts for it then get bama but later switch to dyno tune when you have done what you wanted with the car. Aed is a bit expensive but trust me you don't want to cheap out on a nice car,
For sure, AED is very good. I just read up on the tunes that Shaun does and everyone seems VERY satisfied. The only thing is the money with the tunes with AED. I have to get a tuner and AED tune. That's what, maybe 650 dollars? BUT another way I can do it is get a used SCT tuner that is unmarried for maybe 200 dollars, then spend 450 for the AED tune. Even though Bama's are canned tunes you can still send them data logs so the tune is JUST for your car, not that one size fits all tune. You know?
Old 11-15-2015, 11:45 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For sure, AED is very good. I just read up on the tunes that Shaun does and everyone seems VERY satisfied. The only thing is the money with the tunes with AED. I have to get a tuner and AED tune. That's what, maybe 650 dollars? BUT another way I can do it is get a used SCT tuner that is unmarried for maybe 200 dollars, then spend 450 for the AED tune. Even though Bama's are canned tunes you can still send them data logs so the tune is JUST for your car, not that one size fits all tune. You know?
Yeah it is expensive but totally worth it. I have data logged with them, but there's always something that starts to act funny and I just dont have the time to keep data logging for them. They aren't bad but for a daily who doesn't want to keep having little issues aed is the way to go. Even after data logging bama tune was slugish until the higher end of the rpms, aed is power all the way through. Cold starts are quieter with my AED tune also then the bama, I dont know what changed with that but they are quieter and smoother.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:48 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah it is expensive but totally worth it. I have data logged with them, but there's always something that starts to act funny and I just dont have the time to keep data logging for them. They aren't bad but for a daily who doesn't want to keep having little issues aed is the way to go. Even after data logging bama tune was slugish until the higher end of the rpms, aed is power all the way through. Cold starts are quieter with my AED tune also then the bama, I dont know what changed with that but they are quieter and smoother.
I read that also with the cold starts 10 mins. ago. That's weird but I guess it's all in the tune. So with the bama tunes your car would always have some problems? If so AED might be my choice, depending on the price of course. But how is data logging? Is it a pain in the butt to do? Thanks.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:52 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah there would always be something, nothing major such as jerking when letting off throttle and pressing throttle again. Little stuff like that which is a pain when it is your daily driver. Data logging isn't too bad, Bama has How To's on it, on their website on how to do it but I am a full time student and work also, and as much as I like to spend time with my Five O, I didn't have the time to keep data logging to get them resolved. My mind is at peace knowing that shaun looked at all the parameters of the car while it was on the dyno and made sure there weren't any problems at all.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:07 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I read that also with the cold starts 10 mins. ago. That's weird but I guess it's all in the tune. So with the bama tunes your car would always have some problems? If so AED might be my choice, depending on the price of course. But how is data logging? Is it a pain in the butt to do? Thanks.
Data logging is straight forward. You use livelink studio on a laptop/tablet, it's SCT's free program which allows to to select PID's to log (values such as lambda, spark, knock etc) and then connect the laptop to the odbII port. Start the datalogging on the program and start your car. Idle to till you reach running temp. Then go driving. *safest way is to data log WOT pulls on a dyno*
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 11-16-2015, 12:14 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
Data logging is straight forward. You use livelink studio on a laptop/tablet, it's SCT's free program which allows to to select PID's to log (values such as lambda, spark, knock etc) and then connect the laptop to the odbII port. Start the datalogging on the program and start your car. Idle to till you reach running temp. Then go driving. *safest way is to data log WOT pulls on a dyno*
Oh, ok. Seems pretty simple. But yeah I wouldn't want all this datalogging with my daily. No way. Also, I did email Shaun to see what is going on if I do get his tune. Like the price and what the process is to getting everything perfect for the car.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:19 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh, ok. Seems pretty simple. But yeah I wouldn't want all this datalogging with my daily. No way. Also, I did email Shaun to see what is going on if I do get his tune. Like the price and what the process is to getting everything perfect for the car.
You do want to data log the tune. Reason being that no two cars are the same. Yours could like a slightly richer lambda or the knock threshold could be off a few degrees. The point is there is no way the tuner you choose will get everything right for your car without atleast a little bit of logging. Shaun will most definitely go over that with you.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT