Barton short throw shifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Queens
Region: New York
Posts: 39
Barton short throw shifter

Hi all
I'm thinking about buying the barton with 2post bracket for my 2013, my question is is it ideal for daily driving? also does it eliminate the sloppy ness of the stock shifter, such as 1-2 sound like a clunk or the 2-3 sometimes misses, and the 3-4 sometimes sounds loud when shifting at 3k. thanks
tlebron20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
scott_0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 774
MGW is the better choice, I've had two Bartons and now an MGW, the MGW is the better shifter by far

Sent from my S6 using tapatalk
__________________
2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Op, the fact that you haven't already ordered this and installed it means you have already wasted precious time where you could have been enjoying the improved shifting and ditched that crap ford put in it from the factory. Stop reading this post immediately, open the browser, go to AM and order now. Why are you still reading this?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #4
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Op, the fact that you haven't already ordered this and installed it means you have already wasted precious time where you could have been enjoying the improved shifting and ditched that crap ford put in it from the factory. Stop reading this post immediately, open the browser, go to AM and order now. Why are you still reading this?
Lol, have you done sales in a past life? It is sounding like you might have a side gig for Barton going on here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Op, the fact that you haven't already ordered this and installed it means you have already wasted precious time where you could have been enjoying the improved shifting and ditched that crap ford put in it from the factory. Stop reading this post immediately, open the browser, go to AM and order now. Why are you still reading this?
Because AM does not sell MGW.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Lol, have you done sales in a past life? It is sounding like you might have a side gig for Barton going on here.

Nope. I don't do sales. Just know what it did for me and my car.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Because AM does not sell MGW.

I don't work for AM, so I mean get your parts where you want. But I have played with a mgw and I wasn't impressed. Didn't live up to the hype. I prefer my Barton/FRPP
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:20 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Warfordsburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 152
OX your are the only one so far that was not impressed with MGW. I was very much so!!!
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak 14 View Post
OX your are the only one so far that was not impressed with MGW. I was very much so!!!

Honestly did not like the throw, and it felt a bit on the sloppy side compared to my Barton/FRPP. I had it in my head that I was prob going to want to switch after I tried it, but I went away feeling better about what I had. I will say it doesn't have the "notchy" feel some do not like. I prefer it notchy. It's just preference Teak 14
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Martinsburg
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 323
MGW far and away the best shifter period, 99% of the people who have tried both like the MGW better. You can find 2014 revision shifters for anywhere from $200-$250 used. I lucked out and got a 2014 revision shifter new in the box for $225 shipped. I have multiple reports of Barton shifters snapping in half while being driven, never seen that happen with MGW.
__________________
2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
MGW far and away the best shifter period, 99% of the people who have tried both like the MGW better. You can find 2014 revision shifters for anywhere from $200-$250 used. I lucked out and got a 2014 revision shifter new in the box for $225 shipped. I have multiple reports of Barton shifters snapping in half while being driven, never seen that happen with MGW.

Again, it's personal preference. But MULTIPLE reports of it snapping? I've heard of one person. And he must have been hulk smashin that thing.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #12
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
MGW far and away the best shifter period, 99% of the people who have tried both like the MGW better. You can find 2014 revision shifters for anywhere from $200-$250 used. I lucked out and got a 2014 revision shifter new in the box for $225 shipped. I have multiple reports of Barton shifters snapping in half while being driven, never seen that happen with MGW.
Is that on other forums and such as well? In the year I been on here, I only seen it happen once as far as I know of. But that guy is way too strong for any shifter.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Martinsburg
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Again, it's personal preference. But MULTIPLE reports of it snapping? I've heard of one person. And he must have been hulk smashin that thing.
Yeah, multiple reports. I have seen at least 3 users on various forums that had the same issue.
__________________
2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
scott_0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 774
I've seen at least 3 broken Barton shifters posted as well, I will say, I had great experiences with the Barton shifter itself, as well their excellent customer service, but I feel the MGW is the better shifter hands down

Sent from my S6 using tapatalk
__________________
2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I do hear good things about the MGW so I have no bad remarks for it. But I personally have the Barton and I will say it is a good upgrade over the stock shifter. the throws are super short, and with the Barton shift bracket, the shifts are very precise. Getting into Reverse is of no additional challenge. Just make sure you get the rubber dust boot back on correctly.

Paired with the shifter base gasket from AM, I noticed 0 more vibration. There is a hair more noise, but it is barely noticeable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sterlingbeast5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Naples, FL
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,654
I was driving down the street shifting and my Barton snapped in half. Had to pull over and take off center console goof around to get home. Loving my MGW though!! If dont wanna spring for that it is supposed to be good according to most. I have pics and all.

Barton shifter snaps in half??!!!??
__________________
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
camp70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: san ramon
Region: California
Posts: 37
I've heard nothing but good things about the MGW race spec shifter. That's the one I'm going with
camp70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joaquin_ii's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 547
I put the Barton 2 post on my car about a month ago and it's a whole lot better than stock and you'll realize that the moment you shift to second. Much shorter (as advertised) and for me the shifts are firm. I've yet to have that 2-3 miss on this shifter so to answer a question it sure does eliminate it.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Barton with the 2 post still has huge notchiness and will require another aftermarket piece to tighten it up completely. I can't remember what part it is. I've been more into my F150 lately and have only driven my Stang like 2000 miles in 6 months


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Barton with the 2 post still has huge notchiness and will require another aftermarket piece to tighten it up completely. I can't remember what part it is. I've been more into my F150 lately and have only driven my Stang like 2000 miles in 6 months


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

No.

No it doesn't.

Maybe don't say something if you can't remember what it is.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
No.

No it doesn't.

Maybe don't say something if you can't remember what it is.

Loss prevention must of made you lose your mind. Barton shifter with 2 post is not a 100% cure.

The shifter is still a bit notchy and on high RPM shifts (7500) sometimes it's not very smooth in shifting and I get locked out of second.

Defending your own experience by telling other people that they don't know what they're saying when they share their experience is like me telling you my boxers aren't too comfortable. You then call me out telling me I don't know what I'm talking about and that to YOU it's the most comfortable thing in the world. But for me I like running and the boxers are too lose for me.

If you granny shift your car then you won't experience the issues nearly at all. Try driving your mustang as a high powered high revving car once in a while [my assumption without any proof that you drive like a sissy whether true or not but I'll just make assumptions about you to support my own viewpoints].


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Loss prevention must of made you lose your mind. Barton shifter with 2 post is not a 100% cure.

The shifter is still a bit notchy and on high RPM shifts (7500) sometimes it's not very smooth in shifting and I get locked out of second.

Defending your own experience by telling other people that they don't know what they're saying when they share their experience is like me telling you my boxers aren't too comfortable. You then call me out telling me I don't know what I'm talking about and that to YOU it's the most comfortable thing in the world. But for me I like running and the boxers are too lose for me.

If you granny shift your car then you won't experience the issues nearly at all. Try driving your mustang as a high powered high revving car once in a while [my assumption without any proof that you drive like a sissy whether true or not but I'll just make assumptions about you to support my own viewpoints].


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Not sure how my job pertains to this. Your attempt at some sort of ridiculous joke? Much like your first response on this thread, it doesn't help OP.

The Barton/FRPP short shifter does not NEED anything else like you so gracefully put it. Can it and others benefit from additional stiffening. Sure. But again you didn't add any value by stating those products.

Said products that can or could improve shifting (and this isn't a complete list)

Blowfish bracket

Steeda or whiteline trans insert

Stainless steel clutch line

New clutch

Do these NEED to be present for the seamless transition between gears? Not in 99.9% of your shifts they don't. Can a guy who shifts at 7500+ every shift every day benefit? Sure.

I personally have the Steeda insert and have found it helped with high rpm lockout. But I only experienced it once previous to installing.

As for your comments on how I drive my car, you can assume whatever you want.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
LuisBlackGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 334
Barton with 2 post is still notchy in my opinion, had it for over a year already


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________
2014 Black Mustang GT. 20" Amr wheels, Sr Performance lowering springs 1.5", stillen front chin, mmd window louvers, roush AB exhaust. FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM: @barrios_Luis
LuisBlackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBlackGT View Post
Barton with 2 post is still notchy in my opinion, had it for over a year already


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Thank you. A real driver. 99% of driver can live with notchiness. But those that know the difference between smooth as butter and the ability to trust that your shift will be true will appreciate the fact that if people give the advice that a certain shifter, though as good as it is, is still a bit notchy they will take that in consideration.

It's much improved over stock but MGW is probably a better route to go.

Go back to practicing your granny shifts Oxford5pointSlow


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Barton short throw shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Thank you. A real driver. 99% of driver can live with notchiness. But those that know the difference between smooth as butter and the ability to trust that your shift will be true will appreciate the fact that if people give the advice that a certain shifter, though as good as it is, is still a bit notchy they will take that in consideration.

It's much improved over stock but MGW is probably a better route to go.

Go back to practicing your granny shifts Oxford5pointSlow


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Hahaha. Go spin bud

B===D

I'm sure you know all about butter in your hands.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #26
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I got a good laugh.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Barton short throw shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Hahaha. Go spin bud

B===D

I'm sure you know all about butter in your hands.

Better to know butter in my hands than how you know butter in your arse

8===D (o)

Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
kona010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 173
^ Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1449545496.872014.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	194530


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
kona010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:44 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona010 View Post
^ Attachment 194530


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

.......................
Yo mama is gay and your daddy is a lesbian

Ok lol
Sorry, was a boring day. Thanks all for the momentary entertainment.

Have a good night lol


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hurst billet shifter plus two or Barton short throw shifter?? hdez41 2011-2014 Mustang GT 25 01-26-2015 10:01 PM
Barton short throw shifter 2013mustang5.0 2011-2014 Mustang GT 78 05-27-2013 03:25 PM
For Sale: SR Short Throw Shifter W/ Barton Bracket SilverBullet12 Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 4 02-09-2013 02:16 PM
Barton Short Throw Shifter PBrown92 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 2 12-11-2012 04:10 PM
MGW vs Barton Short Throw Shifter Brock23 2011-2014 Mustang GT 26 10-26-2012 05:21 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



11:57 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.