Barton short throw shifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Barton short throw shifter

Hi all
I'm thinking about buying the barton with 2post bracket for my 2013, my question is is it ideal for daily driving? also does it eliminate the sloppy ness of the stock shifter, such as 1-2 sound like a clunk or the 2-3 sometimes misses, and the 3-4 sometimes sounds loud when shifting at 3k. thanks
tlebron20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

MGW is the better choice, I've had two Bartons and now an MGW, the MGW is the better shifter by far

Sent from my S6 using tapatalk
Old 11-17-2015, 02:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Op, the fact that you haven't already ordered this and installed it means you have already wasted precious time where you could have been enjoying the improved shifting and ditched that crap ford put in it from the factory. Stop reading this post immediately, open the browser, go to AM and order now. Why are you still reading this?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Op, the fact that you haven't already ordered this and installed it means you have already wasted precious time where you could have been enjoying the improved shifting and ditched that crap ford put in it from the factory. Stop reading this post immediately, open the browser, go to AM and order now. Why are you still reading this?
Lol, have you done sales in a past life? It is sounding like you might have a side gig for Barton going on here.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Because AM does not sell MGW.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Lol, have you done sales in a past life? It is sounding like you might have a side gig for Barton going on here.

Nope. I don't do sales. Just know what it did for me and my car.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Because AM does not sell MGW.

I don't work for AM, so I mean get your parts where you want. But I have played with a mgw and I wasn't impressed. Didn't live up to the hype. I prefer my Barton/FRPP
Old 11-18-2015, 04:20 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
OX your are the only one so far that was not impressed with MGW. I was very much so!!!
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak 14 View Post
OX your are the only one so far that was not impressed with MGW. I was very much so!!!

Honestly did not like the throw, and it felt a bit on the sloppy side compared to my Barton/FRPP. I had it in my head that I was prob going to want to switch after I tried it, but I went away feeling better about what I had. I will say it doesn't have the "notchy" feel some do not like. I prefer it notchy. It's just preference Teak 14
Old 11-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
MGW far and away the best shifter period, 99% of the people who have tried both like the MGW better. You can find 2014 revision shifters for anywhere from $200-$250 used. I lucked out and got a 2014 revision shifter new in the box for $225 shipped. I have multiple reports of Barton shifters snapping in half while being driven, never seen that happen with MGW.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
MGW far and away the best shifter period, 99% of the people who have tried both like the MGW better. You can find 2014 revision shifters for anywhere from $200-$250 used. I lucked out and got a 2014 revision shifter new in the box for $225 shipped. I have multiple reports of Barton shifters snapping in half while being driven, never seen that happen with MGW.

Again, it's personal preference. But MULTIPLE reports of it snapping? I've heard of one person. And he must have been hulk smashin that thing.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #12
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
Is that on other forums and such as well? In the year I been on here, I only seen it happen once as far as I know of. But that guy is way too strong for any shifter.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Again, it's personal preference. But MULTIPLE reports of it snapping? I've heard of one person. And he must have been hulk smashin that thing.
Yeah, multiple reports. I have seen at least 3 users on various forums that had the same issue.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen at least 3 broken Barton shifters posted as well, I will say, I had great experiences with the Barton shifter itself, as well their excellent customer service, but I feel the MGW is the better shifter hands down

Sent from my S6 using tapatalk
Old 11-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook

I do hear good things about the MGW so I have no bad remarks for it. But I personally have the Barton and I will say it is a good upgrade over the stock shifter. the throws are super short, and with the Barton shift bracket, the shifts are very precise. Getting into Reverse is of no additional challenge. Just make sure you get the rubber dust boot back on correctly.

Paired with the shifter base gasket from AM, I noticed 0 more vibration. There is a hair more noise, but it is barely noticeable.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I was driving down the street shifting and my Barton snapped in half. Had to pull over and take off center console goof around to get home. Loving my MGW though!! If dont wanna spring for that it is supposed to be good according to most. I have pics and all.

Barton shifter snaps in half??!!!??
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've heard nothing but good things about the MGW race spec shifter. That's the one I'm going with
camp70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I put the Barton 2 post on my car about a month ago and it's a whole lot better than stock and you'll realize that the moment you shift to second. Much shorter (as advertised) and for me the shifts are firm. I've yet to have that 2-3 miss on this shifter so to answer a question it sure does eliminate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Barton with the 2 post still has huge notchiness and will require another aftermarket piece to tighten it up completely. I can't remember what part it is. I've been more into my F150 lately and have only driven my Stang like 2000 miles in 6 months

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Barton with the 2 post still has huge notchiness and will require another aftermarket piece to tighten it up completely. I can't remember what part it is. I've been more into my F150 lately and have only driven my Stang like 2000 miles in 6 months

No.

No it doesn't.

Maybe don't say something if you can't remember what it is.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No.

No it doesn't.

Maybe don't say something if you can't remember what it is.

Loss prevention must of made you lose your mind. Barton shifter with 2 post is not a 100% cure.

The shifter is still a bit notchy and on high RPM shifts (7500) sometimes it's not very smooth in shifting and I get locked out of second.

Defending your own experience by telling other people that they don't know what they're saying when they share their experience is like me telling you my boxers aren't too comfortable. You then call me out telling me I don't know what I'm talking about and that to YOU it's the most comfortable thing in the world. But for me I like running and the boxers are too lose for me.

If you granny shift your car then you won't experience the issues nearly at all. Try driving your mustang as a high powered high revving car once in a while [my assumption without any proof that you drive like a sissy whether true or not but I'll just make assumptions about you to support my own viewpoints].

Old 12-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Loss prevention must of made you lose your mind. Barton shifter with 2 post is not a 100% cure.

The shifter is still a bit notchy and on high RPM shifts (7500) sometimes it's not very smooth in shifting and I get locked out of second.

Defending your own experience by telling other people that they don't know what they're saying when they share their experience is like me telling you my boxers aren't too comfortable. You then call me out telling me I don't know what I'm talking about and that to YOU it's the most comfortable thing in the world. But for me I like running and the boxers are too lose for me.

If you granny shift your car then you won't experience the issues nearly at all. Try driving your mustang as a high powered high revving car once in a while [my assumption without any proof that you drive like a sissy whether true or not but I'll just make assumptions about you to support my own viewpoints].

Not sure how my job pertains to this. Your attempt at some sort of ridiculous joke? Much like your first response on this thread, it doesn't help OP.

The Barton/FRPP short shifter does not NEED anything else like you so gracefully put it. Can it and others benefit from additional stiffening. Sure. But again you didn't add any value by stating those products.

Said products that can or could improve shifting (and this isn't a complete list)

Blowfish bracket

Steeda or whiteline trans insert

Stainless steel clutch line

New clutch

Do these NEED to be present for the seamless transition between gears? Not in 99.9% of your shifts they don't. Can a guy who shifts at 7500+ every shift every day benefit? Sure.

I personally have the Steeda insert and have found it helped with high rpm lockout. But I only experienced it once previous to installing.

As for your comments on how I drive my car, you can assume whatever you want.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Barton with 2 post is still notchy in my opinion, had it for over a year already

Old 12-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBlackGT View Post
Barton with 2 post is still notchy in my opinion, had it for over a year already

Thank you. A real driver. 99% of driver can live with notchiness. But those that know the difference between smooth as butter and the ability to trust that your shift will be true will appreciate the fact that if people give the advice that a certain shifter, though as good as it is, is still a bit notchy they will take that in consideration.

It's much improved over stock but MGW is probably a better route to go.

Go back to practicing your granny shifts Oxford5pointSlow

Old 12-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thank you. A real driver. 99% of driver can live with notchiness. But those that know the difference between smooth as butter and the ability to trust that your shift will be true will appreciate the fact that if people give the advice that a certain shifter, though as good as it is, is still a bit notchy they will take that in consideration.

It's much improved over stock but MGW is probably a better route to go.

Go back to practicing your granny shifts Oxford5pointSlow

Hahaha. Go spin bud

B===D

I'm sure you know all about butter in your hands.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #26
Kevin.Cook

I got a good laugh.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hahaha. Go spin bud

B===D

I'm sure you know all about butter in your hands.

Better to know butter in my hands than how you know butter in your arse

8===D (o)

Lol

Old 12-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

^ Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1449545496.872014.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	194530

kona010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:44 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona010 View Post
^ Attachment 194530

Yo mama is gay and your daddy is a lesbian

Ok lol
Sorry, was a boring day. Thanks all for the momentary entertainment.

Have a good night lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT