Vortech or ON3 Perforamance? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Alerotaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Currently in Lawrenceburg
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 193
Vortech or ON3 Perforamance?

I have not heard of On3 twin turbos until tonight. Looking to add a Supercharger, since I could not afford the Hellion Twin Turbo. Then I saw this On3.
I would love to hear the good and bad of the On3 and the Vs the centrifugal topic.
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Alerotaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Currently in Lawrenceburg
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 193
follow up already..

I did do some research, but most of the articles are from 4-6 months ago.. non real world..
The basically stated cheap parts so most people thought you could have issues..

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

I did do some research, but most of the articles are from 4-6 months ago.. non real world..
They basically stated cheap parts so most people thought you could have issues..
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
On3 is not cheap. This is coming from people who haven't installed one.

Vortech < ON3

You going to install yourself


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
On3 used to be cheap quality. But they have really stepped up their game in the last year or so. I would pick them over the Vortech.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
properly tuned turbos will always edge a centri in performance but, you can install a centri in a day and be up and running with massive support from virtually anybody you like. A turbo install will always add hassle and fangling, as you are arranging both hot and cold side piping. You just need to balance how much hassle you are into.

Vortech has good quality components throughout, no shortcuts. I have a V3 kit sitting in the basement, waiting to go on my '14 auto...when I get the jam to take that on again after wrecking my '12, due to the power it made.
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.42 at 120.64

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Alerotaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Currently in Lawrenceburg
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 193
I want a little fun, but the cheap skate in me hates spending $6,000 just for a power booster that I will not use to race.. But I miss my Old's BB 455 feel of power. I've already done the Suspension so that's what next . i have also been ready more people doing NOS on top of super charger, hey what is is i have to worry about on the motor if i boost to much?
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
Your going to spend more than 6k with the on3 kit also.


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Alerotaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Currently in Lawrenceburg
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 193
I was going by the On3 website. it will cost more???
Don't make me cry.. LOL
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerotaz View Post
I was going by the On3 website. it will cost more???
Don't make me cry.. LOL

Tune, install, injectors yes it will cost more


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
mark_ash0426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Region: California
Posts: 443
Im planning on going FI
But im still undecicive because idk if to choose from Vortech Procharger or VMP Whipple. I love the whipple sound but the vortech sounds badass too. Performance wise idk which one is better though. Rap your the expert can you guide me a little


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_ash0426 View Post
Im planning on going FI
But im still undecicive because idk if to choose from Vortech Procharger or VMP Whipple. I love the whipple sound but the vortech sounds badass too. Performance wise idk which one is better though. Rap your the expert can you guide me a little


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

All depends on what the car is used for. What you spend most of your time doing.
So what is the cars routine? Daily driver? More city driving? Does it see high rpm a lot? Race the car at all?



🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
mark_ash0426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Region: California
Posts: 443
Well my car is gonna be daily driven. Cali weather allows me to drive it all year lol. Mostly city and track maybe 10 times a year


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_ash0426 View Post
Well my car is gonna be daily driven. Cali weather allows me to drive it all year lol. Mostly city and track maybe 10 times a year


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Go with the VMP kit. Will be the best bet for you. And anybody can install it themselves. It's not hard.


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Alerotaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Currently in Lawrenceburg
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 193
I am stuck. I find the price for the full kits to be pretty much the same. the difference I am finding is the extras. One place adds the Boost a pump. or another will add the after market CAI and or there own version of a tune. I'm also told different info, one states I can use my own CAI and another states I cant.. not only am I lost but getting confused! LOL I currently have a Breenspeed tune with the Big CAI ( carbon fiber JLT.. Corsa Axle back with X pipe.. I also have already done lower springs, Upper and lower control arms ( BMR) and Pan Hard bar with the One Pc Drive shaft..
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
mark_ash0426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Region: California
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Go with the VMP kit. Will be the best bet for you. And anybody can install it themselves. It's not hard.


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.

Unexperienced mechanic here though lol
How hard?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_ash0426 View Post
Unexperienced mechanic here though lol
How hard?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Scale of 1 - 10 the vmp kit is a 4.


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
If Jake can do it anyone can...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
Vortech or ON3 Perforamance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
If Jake can do it anyone can...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Lol
Mustangz could install the VMP kit
😜


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Lol
Mustangz could install the VMP kit
😜


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
You called? Haha.
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
You called? Haha.

Lol


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pleasanton
Region: California
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerotaz View Post
I want a little fun, but the cheap skate in me hates spending $6,000 just for a power booster that I will not use to race.. But I miss my Old's BB 455 feel of power. I've already done the Suspension so that's what next . i have also been ready more people doing NOS on top of super charger, hey what is is i have to worry about on the motor if i boost to much?
Go twin screw. Best street setup in my opinion. Instant power, no excessive plumbing like a turbo or centri. KB makes great kits complete with everything you need and easy install instructions AND are CARB legal.
__________________

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
Go twin screw. Best street setup in my opinion. Instant power, no excessive plumbing like a turbo or centri. KB makes great kits complete with everything you need and easy install instructions AND are CARB legal.

Only downside to the coyotes with the kenne bell is with the 11.1 compression it won't feel how your 3v does or the 03-04 Cobras do. It's not the instant neck breaking feel.


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pleasanton
Region: California
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Only downside to the coyotes with the kenne bell is with the 11.1 compression it won't feel how your 3v does or the 03-04 Cobras do. It's not the instant neck breaking feel.


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Still better than a turbo or centri.
__________________

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
mark_ash0426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Region: California
Posts: 443
Lol then i guess i can give it a try
What type of tune you recommend besides dyno tune
Rap which one has more potential for power and how much is safe on stock everything. I know youve pushed your cars past 600 lol


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Vmp tune for the vmp lot

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
mark_ash0426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Region: California
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Vmp tune for the vmp lot

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Is it a canned vmp tune?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
They do datalogs like all other tuners.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_ash0426 View Post
Lol then i guess i can give it a try
What type of tune you recommend besides dyno tune
Rap which one has more potential for power and how much is safe on stock everything. I know youve pushed your cars past 600 lol


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

The VMP one is good for low to mid 800. Kenne bell is good for 1000 + depending on which one you get.

Whipple is similar to kenne bell just depends on which one you go with.

Vortech is 700
Paxton 900


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:07 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
mark_ash0426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Region: California
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
The VMP one is good for low to mid 800. Kenne bell is good for 1000 + depending on which one you get.

Whipple is similar to kenne bell just depends on which one you go with.

Vortech is 700
Paxton 900


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.

Ohh alright sounds good
I guess that makes sense then
Hopefully soon ill start a thread of my build


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #30
OX1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: jackson
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 222
Blowers eat up 80 HP that you could be getting to the wheels. 600 WHP is safer on your engine with a turbo since it is really equivalent to 680 WHP on a supercharger (assuming both tuned well).
__________________
86 Capri, turbo, 3.27's-12.66 @ 107.75
14 GT-Roush Phs 3, VMP 93 tune, Whiteline Sway Bars, Roush U/L Rear Control Arms, 18 X 9/10 Bullits with 295/255 NT05's
OX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
Blowers eat up 80 HP that you could be getting to the wheels. 600 WHP is safer on your engine with a turbo since it is really equivalent to 680 WHP on a supercharger (assuming both tuned well).

😂


🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pleasanton
Region: California
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
Blowers eat up 80 HP that you could be getting to the wheels. 600 WHP is safer on your engine with a turbo since it is really equivalent to 680 WHP on a supercharger (assuming both tuned well).

The intended purpose of the OP is a street car that is fast and fun to drive but rarely taken to the track. A twin screw is the simplest way to get that "right now power" that makes it fun to drive with out all the extra plumbing of a turbo or centri and he can get a smog legal tune with the blower whether he goes KB, whipple or VMP. You can't go wrong with any of those. Doesn't sound like the OP is super experienced and all that extra junk under the hood can be a real headache. Better to keep it simple.
__________________

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Albuquerque
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 134
I also thought turbos were easier on the engine. Just curious because i have Hellion and Armageddon both in my home town and was thinking of having them put it in.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
slimguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:29 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pleasanton
Region: California
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimguns View Post
I also thought turbos were easier on the engine. Just curious because i have Hellion and Armageddon both in my home town and was thinking of having them put it in.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I dont know about that....but they are way more complicated under the hood, not smog legal and then theres that dreaded turbo lag. Hard to beat a good twin screw for the street.
__________________

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:31 AM   #35
OX1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: jackson
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
The intended purpose of the OP is a street car that is fast and fun to drive but rarely taken to the track. A twin screw is the simplest way to get that "right now power" that makes it fun to drive with out all the extra plumbing of a turbo or centri and he can get a smog legal tune with the blower whether he goes KB, whipple or VMP. You can't go wrong with any of those. Doesn't sound like the OP is super experienced and all that extra junk under the hood can be a real headache. Better to keep it simple.
Understood, just pointing out that many feel much over 600 WHP on the stock engine is at least starting to take some risk. Many who claim they just want a fun street car end up at or over that 600 number when they find out it is theoretically only a pulley swap away. If it is me, I am not spending 6 grand or more for anything less than an honest minimum 200 whp increase.

and I originally was all on the PD bandwagon, but quickly realized that even a 295 non drag radial is not that hard to lose traction with on a stock car on, especially in colder temps (which I guess OP would may not see in Tenn??).
You have to at least mention to the OP that with a PD, he will be more likely to lose traction out of the hole without a serious, and possibly daily driver unfriendly, tire upgrade.
__________________
86 Capri, turbo, 3.27's-12.66 @ 107.75
14 GT-Roush Phs 3, VMP 93 tune, Whiteline Sway Bars, Roush U/L Rear Control Arms, 18 X 9/10 Bullits with 295/255 NT05's
OX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VORTECH V3-VS- On3 twin turbos steven7010 2011-2014 Mustang GT 23 11-21-2014 10:59 AM
Wanted: Vortech v1 S trim/ vortech v2 04sonicbgt Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 0 12-10-2013 07:04 PM
On3 Turbo on 91 5.0 - follow up to 91 5.0 mostly stock thread JayKranz 1979-1995 Mustang GT 29 04-28-2012 10:33 PM
On3 Performance ColeJohnson 1996-2004 Mustang GT 43 12-29-2011 06:56 AM
On3 performance good bad??? Jose08 1996-2004 Mustang GT 0 09-09-2011 06:51 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:30 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.