Car on jack stands vs carpet for winter - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #36
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Mud's on bonus time with his....The weather folks just keep saying it will be warm for the next few weeks. I store it on my property so putting it away is only a few hrs of work. I have no intention of putting it away till they start predicting snow.

Life is Good.
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I had it all clean. If I take it out I would have to clean again and it us chilly to wash. I am a woose. Lol
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post
I had it all clean. If I take it out I would have to clean again and it us chilly to wash. I am a woose. Lol

Mine stayed clean. If it's dry out and no salt on the roads, it will be fine.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #39
Staff

Regular
Staff

rubber gloves and waterproof shoes.....I admit a good tolerance for cold helps.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm with you GTGirl. Once I decide to wash and put it away that's it. I won't cover it unless it has just been washed and at this time of year I don't have time to do that again. Hindsight says I should have waited another week. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
I'm with you GTGirl. Once I decide to wash and put it away that's it. I won't cover it unless it has just been washed and at this time of year I don't have time to do that again. Hindsight says I should have waited another week. Oh well.

Mine's not covered, so it's not bad pulling it out. Was going to take it back out again today because it was in the upper 50s but the wind was ridiculous.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I do uncover once a month to recharge the battery - I was told by someone who has the same battery maintainer that gases can form and he would want a cover over the engine area and the battery does have acid in case of an accident. So we uncover half - put up the hood attach the battery tender (CTEK (56-158) MULTI US 3300 12-Volt Battery Charger)
for 24 hours then take it off and put the hood down - but not so far that it latchs and pull the cover back down. So far it has worked.
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
Old 12-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I do uncover once a month to recharge the battery - I was told by someone who has the same battery maintainer that gases can form and he would want a cover over the engine area and the battery does have acid in case of an accident. So we uncover half - put up the hood attach the battery tender (CTEK (56-158) MULTI US 3300 12-Volt Battery Charger)
for 24 hours then take it off and put the hood down - but not so far that it latchs and pull the cover back down. So far it has worked.

A group of us have our cars stored in a building together (my 2 T/As) under covers each with a Battery Tender Jr. on 24/7. We've got about 16 cars and haven't had any issues. We've been doing this the last few years.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
A group of us have our cars stored in a building together (my 2 T/As) under covers each with a Battery Tender Jr. on 24/7. We've got about 16 cars and haven't had any issues. We've been doing this the last few years.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
that is nice to hear - maybe I will just uncover in a month to put it on and leave it on then. I believe our friend doesn't have a cover either - so this would be nice not to take it partially off and then back down etc etc.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #45
Staff

Regular
Staff

they sell tenders that have a cord you permanently attach to your car with a quick disconnect plug. you can then just snake the cord to an accessible location. Covers ain't needed but then it'll need a good rinse (dust) in spring.

60 deg today!!
Old 12-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
they sell tenders that have a cord you permanently attach to your car with a quick disconnect plug. you can then just snake the cord to an accessible location. Covers ain't needed but then it'll need a good rinse (dust) in spring.

60 deg today!!

Yeah, the Battery Tender Jr. has a quick disconnect also. We just leave them on 24/7, though. Haven't gotten around to putting one on the Mustang yet. Since that car isn't covered, I've been hitting it with the California Duster about once a week before any real dust has a chance to accumulate.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #47
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Maybe a silly question

But I just gotta ask it anyway.
"WHY WOULD YOU HAVE TO STORE YOUR MUSTANG FOR A FEW MONTHS ANYWAY?

Ronnie

From

FLORIDA

PS: Sorry but I had to do this. The devil made me !
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

I also use the Battery Tender brand and have installed a permanent lead from the battery to the outside of the front of the car. The car stays covered with the hood closed and the tender on all winter. I have been doing this for 3 years with no problems.

Hey Ronnie - the one thing that you don't get to enjoy is uncovering her in the spring. It's like getting a brand new car every year!
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:59 PM   #49
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Yea Robostang,
I sure miss that. Ha! Ha! Ha!
I'll be going to Cars & Coffee tomorrow at Brother speed shop in Deland and probably be thinking of the bad old days of Delaware in December.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #50
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Hey with the weather we are having up here of course this is going to be the one winter I don't have a ready to drive stang... Last winter it was single digits here, now its going to be 70 tomorrow... wtlh...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #51
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Yeah we haven't even had snow on the ground for more than 3 days yet. I'm not complaining

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #52
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yeah but then you have salt deposits that still gets all over your car.

I mean I am legit kind of mad at this weather this year. Its like it knows... Guarantee it'll be in the 30s in October next year and I'll have had the silver car done and have to put it away early... Last year I had that nice blue GT...grumble...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #53
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Roads haven't been molested with salt yet thankfully. Wife and I have super opposite schedules so I take her Audi when I am worried about roads.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #54
Staff

Regular
Staff

I saw bees this wknd....mid December in CT! It looks like my grass is growing NO way am I cutting grass in December.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
As long as there is no salt on the roads I drive mine. I don't store cars for the winter anymore. I drive mine at least every 2 weeks. I had a bunch of cars that sat and I had nothing but problems. At one time we had 7 cars and it was nice for a while but it was too stressful maintaining them. Cars are meant to be driven

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT