Car on jack stands vs carpet for winter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Car on jack stands vs carpet for winter

Just a quick question of carpet vs jack stands and which is better? If I use carpet I have enough to do easily a few layers per tire. It will be in a garage with concrete floor, not heated. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkreg View Post
Just a quick question of carpet vs jack stands and which is better? If I use carpet I have enough to do easily a few layers per tire. It will be in a garage with concrete floor, not heated. Thanks

You can't go wrong with jack stands.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Carpet is fine, no need for jackstands.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Carpet and inflate the tires a bit extra. No need for jack stands like said above.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
We have a smallish garage and the GT/CS Vert is just so low to the ground we gave up on jack stands. Have one layer of visquin,then cardboard then a layer of carpet + increase of psi. We will roll it every two weeks about 8 to 10 inches back and forth. I think we will be fine. Put 00000 steel wool in the quad tips, dryer sheets (critters don't like the smell i hear) trunk, engine, under each seat. Hook up the battery maintainer once a month for overnightand a nice custom indoor cover. A full tank of premium no ethanol and gas treatment. An oil change right before winter sleep. She should come out clean and raring to go.
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone, that was the last bit I needed to know now since having better tires this winter. Sucks to put her up again after being used to playing in the snow with my last car. Makes me wish I'd have gone awd again but the time I can drive her is worth it.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Jack Stands. for various reasons.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If it is going to be parked with no chance of movement till the spring then jackstands since you also unload the suspension. However, if its just parked in the garage for most of the winter and comes out on clear cold sunny days when there is no salt residue on the roads then carpet.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If it is going to be parked with no chance of movement till the spring then jackstands since you also unload the suspension. However, if its just parked in the garage for most of the winter and comes out on clear cold sunny days when there is no salt residue on the roads then carpet.
I have to agree with that.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

She'll be down, maybe with the chance of getting moved to the driveway for a half hour but probably just rolled every other week a few feet if I do carpet. Insurance for the most part will be removed, besides if the house burns down on it.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

extra air and cardboard 3-4 layers thick is what I use.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Good information here

Check it out:
Top Ten tips to consider for winter car storage - WHEELS.ca

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

Mine doesn't really get stored for the winter. If there is no salt on the roads I drive it. We have crazy winter weather here it switches back and forth from cold to warm pretty much until Spring. It gets cold in January and February for a few weeks but that's it. There is no way I could live in Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ronnie's link includes, "it is not advised to put a car up on blocks and leave the suspension hanging for an extended period of time."
I have read this a number of places and heard that it is best to keep suspension loaded, while in storage. Sounds like there are difference of opinions on this, as well.

Also, a sheet of plastic laid on the concrete slab would minimize moisture rising through it.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have always heard over the years to not use Jack Stands because it is very bad for the shocks and suspension to be hanging.
I have never stored a car but I did do a lot of photography work for The Klassic Museum when it was in business and for a few millionaire car collectors and never ever seen a car that sits on jack stands.
I personally would not do it.
I would put a rag in the exhaust pipes and moth balls under and around the car. Windows up, Rid-X inside the car and clean oil and a full gas tank with Sta-Bil. Fill the tires to at least 45psi and just leave it on the ground.
Moth balls under the hood.
Mice are a huge problem everyplace,
*****************************************OR**********************************

Just come live in Florida for the Winter.

Ronnie
Old 11-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I have always heard over the years to not use Jack Stands because it is very bad for the shocks and suspension to be hanging.
I have never stored a car but I did do a lot of photography work for The Klassic Museum when it was in business and for a few millionaire car collectors and never ever seen a car that sits on jack stands.
I personally would not do it.
I would put a rag in the exhaust pipes and moth balls under and around the car. Windows up, Rid-X inside the car and clean oil and a full gas tank with Sta-Bil. Fill the tires to at least 45psi and just leave it on the ground.
Moth balls under the hood.
Mice are a huge problem everyplace,
*****************************************OR**********************************

Just come live in Florida for the Winter.

Ronnie
Mice are my biggest problem, even when I'm not storing my cars.
I think stands are okay if you put them under the rear axle and front suspension.
Personally, I take my mustang out for a 20 minute or longer ride every opportunity I get to do it. And even in New England winters, there's plenty of opportunities.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yes, Under the front suspension and rear axle would probably be OK.
People seem to worry about the tires flat spotting but guess what?
In the Spring, You pull it out of the Place it was parked, Let some air pressure out until it is what it says on your door jam, Drive and in a short while, NO MORE FLAT SPOTS
Ronnie
Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 PM   #18
Supporter

Region: Texas
Cardboard underneath the wheels then let the jack stands back down a bit so the suspension has a partial load on it as well as the wheels. Max PSI as well, new fluids don't hurt either.

Some say flat spots are a thing of the past but I pulled the boat trailer out of storage a week ago. Flatspots were a minor but when I pull the trailer back out with a load on it (assuming 1+month) flat spots are noticeable.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I personally would not bother with jack stands. It's not like your going to store the car for five years. Your only storing it for a few months until the snow is done.
Filling the tires to at least 45PSI is more important then keeping them off the ground.

Of course the flat spotting may be noticeable but it does resolve after a few miles. It is not like the old Bias Ply tires that your Grandpop had on his Dodge.

Of course there is no right or wrong on using jack stands properly Like Diehard say's but I really don't think they are necessary.
Ronnie
Old 11-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

I will say my father has put his nice cars on plywood squares ever since I can remember.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Don't let this happen to your tires.

Name:   download.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  7.0 KB
Old 11-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I used to put my '79 T/A up on jack stands. I would support the front under the K-frame and the front tires would hang. I thought I heard a strange noise when putting it up and when I left it back down in the spring found I popped a shock, and the shocks were only a year old.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I buy some excersize squares connect mats from Walmart and parked my car on top of it for winter storage

Sean313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

My daughter is in 4H and at the small livestock shows we go to they sell carpet squares for $1 each so $4 later and I have what I need lol.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Great thread. I use to do the jackstands, but like the other users stated, there's not much need if it's only for a few months. Carpet squares work best and inflating tires up to 45psi is my winter routine.
jeffrey5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

With our weather staying around 40s I lost the thought of storing her for now. He'll I even got an xpipe!

Old 12-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Did my first roll last weekend. Man that car is heavier than I thought. LOL - going slightly downhill. Another week and a half - roll it back a ways and charge up the battery. So far the weather has stayed pretty decent - but it is only the 2nd of December - I will wait for January weather. I have the one layer of cardboard and a layer of carpet with plastic under everything. I sure miss driving her and even looking at her as she is all covered up too.
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
Old 12-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post
Did my first roll last weekend. Man that car is heavier than I thought. LOL - going slightly downhill. Another week and a half - roll it back a ways and charge up the battery. So far the weather has stayed pretty decent - but it is only the 2nd of December - I will wait for January weather. I have the one layer of cardboard and a layer of carpet with plastic under everything. I sure miss driving her and even looking at her as she is all covered up too.

Upper 40s coming this week and into the weekend for our great state. Might have to throw the top down for a quick spin around town.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-04-2015, 08:47 PM   #29
Supporter

Region: Texas
Glad that I can drive year round, sort of. I would be at that storage unit every single night saying hello.... haha
Old 12-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
58 degrees and sunny here tomorrow she all cleaned up and ready for a Saturday Toys for Tots CruiseClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1449285567.599517.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	194382

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:42 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry *** state of Conneticut already putting that nasty corrosive calcium chloride mix on bridges . POS **** Governor won't add rust inhibitor like other states. So my 2 toys sit in garage. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1449582076.670428.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	194537Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1449582142.086946.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	194538

Hammer Down !!!
GOTROD46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #32
Staff

Regular
Staff

Rod,

slight derail but I see CT...RoboStang and I run a few cruises per year in MA and CT. Check out the last one here or others under regional section or my threads.

New England Fall Cruise 2015

keep an eye out for springs or PM me for more details.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

You beat me to it Mud! Yup, I noticed that salt on highway bridges Saturday night. Mine is washed and covered in the garage. Sometime during the winter I'll start getting her detailed for the spring.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Old 12-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post

Looks good! I actually pulled mine out today and ran around town for about 1/2 an hour with the top down. After all, it was 45! Tomorrow should be low 50s. Maybe I will be able to get it out again. Roads are still clean.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT