oil consumption - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #1
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
oil consumption

So far, 1/4 quart used in first 1300 miles Changed oil at that point and just checked at 4954. Not a dropped burned or lost.

Have heard ford claims even a quart per thousand is normal, but wanted to put it out there to those that have consumption problems, that it definitely does not appear to be "normal". Most times you only hear about our problems, so wanted to chime in with some positive news for once............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Bought my 14 new, now at 20k mileage. 4 oil changes.
Never had to add a drop of oil between changes.
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

My 14 5.0 would burn a bit during the first 5k miles or so but after that it's been fine.

2014 GT brembo package manual trans. 3.55 gears
Roush axle backs
Bama v2 performance tune.
primemover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Had the 14 TrakPak for 7000 miles...3 oil changes....not a drop lost.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Don't worry, I always have a quart go missing every oil change soon as I hit 15%oil life. It's weird. But it's a ford so meh, I wouldn't worry. These motors rev so high some is bound to make its way out the exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
My 14 GT has about 18,500 miles on it and I don't have to add any during oil changes and I go by the OLM. I'm at 7,200 miles on this oil change and use the Motorcraft 5W-20 blend.

Wayne
Old 12-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Historically my 5.0 has used 1qt of oil every 3000 miles. I tracked this consumption starting at 3,800 miles on the factory oil fill when I observed 1qt down on the dipstick. So far, I've observed consumption with Motorcraft Syn-blend, Castrol Syntec, and Mobil 1 EP in oil changes which have averaged 7,500 miles.

I added a JLT catch cans to the driver and passanger side at approximately 14,500 miles. I have not observed any oil consumption since then, but do note about 1/2oz of fluid in the JLT passenger side catch can every 500 miles or so. The driver side is bone dry...not even an oil film, it looks spotless. Which begs the question of why they even bother selling it.

I attribute my consumption to a couple of things. #1, my engine seems to drink a bit of oil, but is smooth with no ticking. #2, my car is a manual transmission and even in normal driving I am rev matching and engine braking because muscle car. I'm sure if it was an automatic transmission I would not have as much consumption, because high RPM engine braking can suck a good deal of oil out of the crank case.

I recently dumped half of the oil out of the sump and refilled with a heavier weight oil in preparation for a driving school. I'm gonna leave that in until 20k miles on the odometer and log any consumption, before going back to 5w-20 on my next oil change.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

I had my 14 TrakPak for almost 8000 miles and shortly after I first got it I put on the UPR catch can on the passanger side as that is where I was getting an oil residue. I also put the UPR braided line on the drivers side...which is the air inlet for the PCV system....every 500 miles or so I would empty it and each time it would be about 1 to 2oz. From the can to the intake was clean with no oil showing at the intake port. I never had any oil on the drivers side.....ever.
The car never used any oil even on my 650 mile high speed trip with the red line being bumped many times in 5th gear over the mountains in Southern Oregon and Northern California.......
Old 12-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My 2013 5.0 burned a surprising amount of 4 quarts in between its service. I took it to the dealership and I am currently having a oil consumption test performed as I think that it TOO much oil being burned.
Fabio_5ohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Our 2015 used only about 1/4 quart in the first 1,000 miles before I changed the oil. I have always believed in changing the oil on a new engine at 1,000 miles.
Since then (changed again at 5,000) not a drop has been used. I switched to Pennzoil Platinum (the one made from natural gas--- don't know how they do that though!) at the 5K mark, and with another 1,800 miles on this oil, it is still at the full mark.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I also run a Catch can on my car and it was the first mod I did to the car when it only had a few hundred miles on it. My catch can is on the passenger side and has always caught oil. The driver's side is the side most people report not finding any oil.

I also did not change the oil early on this car. I changed it when the car was a year old by the manufacturer date and it had 4,600 miles on it. I also took some peoples advice when the car was new and got on it pretty aggressively and then let the engine braking slow the car down to help seat the rings. It seemed to have worked. I also don't have any ticking like some people do.

Wayne
Old 12-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I had my 14 TrakPak for almost 8000 miles and shortly after I first got it I put on the UPR catch can on the passanger side as that is where I was getting an oil residue. I also put the UPR braided line on the drivers side...which is the air inlet for the PCV system....every 500 miles or so I would empty it and each time it would be about 1 to 2oz. From the can to the intake was clean with no oil showing at the intake port. I never had any oil on the drivers side.....ever.
The car never used any oil even on my 650 mile high speed trip with the red line being bumped many times in 5th gear over the mountains in Southern Oregon and Northern California.......
Something about your post made me go back and re-read mine and I noticed I flipped the driver and passenger side in my post. I meant to say my passenger side always has oil and my drivers side does not.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
16K and not a drop added. No residue in the intake tube. Thank goodness.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
Something about your post made me go back and re-read mine and I noticed I flipped the driver and passenger side in my post. I meant to say my passenger side always has oil and my drivers side does not.
The reason you are not getting in oil on the drivers side is that it takes air in from the air intake path. I have a hard time wrapping my head around why you would need a catch can on this air inlet side.......
Old 12-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
The reason you are not getting in oil on the drivers side is that it takes air in from the air intake path. I have a hard time wrapping my head around why you would need a catch can on this air inlet side.......
Because one night at 1am I had the "buying itch" and needed to scratch it, and I sat down and browsed AM's website for something like 2hrs, and decided to order the passenger side catch can. And approximately 3 days later I got a nice package from AM and opened it up with much excitement and immediately became concerned because what I observed in the box did not match the picture of the passenger side JLT catch can in my head, but instead resembled the drivers side.

What follows was much anger and cussing at American Muscle, that is until I reviewed my email order confirmation and realized that I had ordered the drivers side catch can on my own, and it was not a mistake.

Still not sure how I did it....perhaps I was tired, or perhaps my brain had the same error which caused me to flip my words in my original post just a few minutes ago...either way ordering the drivers side was a mistake. I didn't think sending it back was worth the effort so I just sat back down and immediately ordered the passenger side.

Had I known the drivers side was going to be COMPLETELY worthless, I probably would have gone through the effort to return it to AM.

Live and learn I guess.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT