Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2012 mustang GT gauge light issues

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  MTilly 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

Seems forever that I've been on the forum...but I'm back!:thumb:

After scoring a job at a local ford dealership, someone traded in a 2012 kona blue GT and I couldn't let the opportunity pass. I had the chance to test drive it for a couple days and noticed today that while driving with the lights on, the colored light (currently blue) behind the speedometer and rpm gauges went from blue to white, though the lights were still on. Not being super knowledgeable with 2010+ mustangs (currently own an 05), I asked a friend and he suggested that I may have the "automatic lights" on. I realized they were indeed on. Went to go get something to eat and when I drove home, I mad sure to not have automatic lights on. About halfway home, the lights went from blue to white again. I'm not sure if this is an electrical issue, or a common issue that I am looking over from now being knowledgeable about the newer S197s. I just want to make sure that it isn't an electrical issue.

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I have a 2011 and never turn my lights on automatic. I do that because I want to pick when they're on and not and a lot of times I just run my halos so that's why. Anyway, whether you're flip it to running lights or whatever you want to call it, or headlights, the inside lights will go out if it's bright enough outside. At least, that's what I've concluded. I live on back roads so in the morning with all the trees I'll flip my halos on and on come the running lights. Once I get out onto the road and the sun hits, the inside gauge lights will flip off. Hope this helps and sorry for the long explanation lol.

#4 ·
Yup. Normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#5 ·
normal if it's still a bit light out while you have the lights on, if it's happening while it's dark with the lights on, that's not normal

Sent from my S6 using tapatalk

#6 ·
Figured it out and it was the light sensor being picky if it decided it was not bright enough out or not. Basically in the sweet spot between. Anyways, signed the paperwork today and the stang is officially mine :)

Thank you all for the help!

#7 ·
Congratulations on your new ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#8 ·
Just an FYI, the light sensor is that little hump in the center of the dash.

If you put visor shades up for your front windshield in the summer and turn on the ignition before you take them down, the automatic lights will turn on in the day time.

They also will turn on if you spend too much time in an underpass, or during dusk.

#9 ·
Glad ya figured it out op.
Am I the only one wondering why you're asking here when you work at a ford dealership!?! I mean, knowledge here is great but no one at the dealership knew this? Hope you have somewhere else to work on your ride :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.